Roy

Default How do I use a DBX -3bx unit?

Is this worth playing with? I guess I would be using in the phono,
tuner or tape inputs. Will it help and how do I use it? Thanks
John A. Weeks III

In article , Roy
wrote:

Is this worth playing with? I guess I would be using in the phono,
tuner or tape inputs. Will it help and how do I use it? Thanks

An expander is a nice addition to any system, so I would
recommend giving it a try. The 3BX is a nice unit. It breaks
the music up into 3 different bands, and expands each one
seperately. That prevents something like a heavy bass note
from causing the voice to be expanded. An expander is useful
on older media that was limited in its dynamic range (ie,
anything prior to the CD), and in content that is excessively
compressed (FM radio, XM radio, many music recordings).

You connect the 3BX as if it were a cassette tape deck. Then
connect your cassette deck to the 3BX as if it were your pre-amp
or reciever. You main tape monitor then selects the 3BX, while
the 3BX tape monitor selects your cassette deck. If you want
to expand your phono or tuner, select it as your source, then
hit the tape monitor to hear it from the 3BX.

You will have to experiment a bit with the amount of expansion
that you add to your system. My rule of thumb is that if I
often notice the effect, then it is a bit too high, and I back
off on it a bit. The effect should be there, but not too
obvious.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications