AndyB

Default Can a Cambridge Audio A500 drive Magnepans? (more info)

Here is some more detailed information on a question I asked earlier
(thanks to all those who replied already!)

The question is... Can I drive a set of Magnepan MMG speakers with
my Cambridge Audio A500 Integrated amp.

I have assembled some more specs, so maybe someone can help me
decode them.

The Magnepan web site says the MMGs want 40-150 watts.
The lady on the phone at Magnepan says that is at 8 ohms
so at 4 ohms (which is the impedance of the MMGs) that
is 80-300 watts. ( http://magnepan.com/ )

The Cambridge Audio A500 integrated amplifier is rated as follows:
Speaker impedance: 4-16 ohms
max power output: 65 watts RMS in to 8 ohms
85 watts RMS in to 6 ohms

This is a high current amp. One reviewer measured 107 Watts at 4 ohms
and said it remained stable down below 2 ohms.

So....

Will this amplifier be adequate to run a pair of magnepan MMGs?

If the suggested range is 80-300 watts (at 4 ohms) what can I expect
when I only feed them 107 watts. I am not looking for super LOUD
music reproduction. I tend to listen on the quiet side compared to
some people. I am not worried about volume so much as quality.

Thanks in advance
Andy B

Stewart Pinkerton

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 07:48:26 GMT, AndyB wrote:

If the suggested range is 80-300 watts (at 4 ohms) what can I expect
when I only feed them 107 watts. I am not looking for super LOUD
music reproduction. I tend to listen on the quiet side compared to
some people. I am not worried about volume so much as quality.

You did not specify this before. If you tend to listen at medium/low
levels, then your amp should be just fine.

Daniel

AndyB wrote in message news:ejg6b.370365$YN5.249255@sccrnsc01...
[...]

I had a pair of SMGas (also 4 ohm), and ran them with a 65 @ 8 ohm wpc
Kyocera receiver and they worked fine. I was perfectly happy with this
system for over ten years. I only upgraded when my CD player died
(which I wish had never happened, because that's what caused me to
become an "audiophile").

I too listen at a lower volume than most people.