Paul B. J.

Default HK DTS Issue

Anyone else having the following issue (meaning--can you fix this):

When I watch a DVD in DTS mode, I'm not getting sound out of the right
rear (surround) speaker. I'm also having problems getting the woofer
(an Infinity) to kick in. The other 4 speakers work fine in DTS mode,
and all of them work fine in Dolby 5.1 mode.

I like DTS a bit better than Dolby 5.1 so I'd love to fix this if
possible. Please tell me there's a fix and I don't have to trash a
relatively new HK receiver (that's likely out of it's warranty, plus
it's a refurb direct from HK).
chung

Paul B. J. wrote:
Anyone else having the following issue (meaning--can you fix this):

When I watch a DVD in DTS mode, I'm not getting sound out of the right
rear (surround) speaker. I'm also having problems getting the woofer
(an Infinity) to kick in. The other 4 speakers work fine in DTS mode,
and all of them work fine in Dolby 5.1 mode.

I like DTS a bit better than Dolby 5.1 so I'd love to fix this if
possible. Please tell me there's a fix and I don't have to trash a
relatively new HK receiver (that's likely out of it's warranty, plus
it's a refurb direct from HK).

Not sure why your right rear surround does not work, but you may want to
set up the speakers/channels properly in DTS. Sound and Vision has a AV
set-up DVD with DTS test signals.

It is a well-known issue with HK receivers that in DTS you have to boost
the subwoofer level up from the setting in Dolby 5.1. The difference can
be as much as 10 dB. Again, with the proper test signals you can set it
up correctly. The fact that the subwoofer level is low is *not* a
malfunction, but a result of how HK implements the DTS decoding.