Wylie Williams

Default Monitor speaker recommendation?

I have been approached by an acquaintance to give advice on the purchase of
a pair of pro sound monitors for home stereo use, promarily rock. He
already has a 300+ wpc Crown amp, a prosound EQ, and a BBE device(which he
says makes all the difference). He now is looking for genuine "monitor"
speakers. My role is to give him a list of candidates. Frankly the only one
I know about is the eternal JBL 12" 3 way (43xx or whatever it is now), but
he has been looking at big black boxes with horns, which I think might be
better suited to small auditoriums or DJ gigs than home stereo. I told him
this is out of my area of experience, but I would "ask around". Can anybody
help?
Harry Lavo

"Wylie Williams" wrote in message
[...]

He needs to go to a couple of pro-audio dealers with monitors to demo and
take a look at what are called mid-field or far-field monitors. These are
traditionally full range speakers, as compared to the mini-near-field
monitors meant to be heard from only a few feet distance, and definitely
restricted in frequency response. You are right that the PA "big black
boxes with horns" are not right for home use, but a "medium oak box" far
field monitor with horns might be. Brand names escape me right now.

If he really wants to be different he should buy a couple of K-Horns and a
Belle Klipsch and he can have the police there anytime he wants.
Joseph Oberlander

Wylie Williams wrote:
I have been approached by an acquaintance to give advice on the purchase of
a pair of pro sound monitors for home stereo use, promarily rock. He
already has a 300+ wpc Crown amp, a prosound EQ, and a BBE device(which he
says makes all the difference). He now is looking for genuine "monitor"
speakers. My role is to give him a list of candidates. Frankly the only one
I know about is the eternal JBL 12" 3 way (43xx or whatever it is now), but
he has been looking at big black boxes with horns, which I think might be
better suited to small auditoriums or DJ gigs than home stereo. I told him
this is out of my area of experience, but I would "ask around". Can anybody
help?

The JBLs are still very good for his application. They currently come
in um... black. They are still very good speakers, despite the
complete lack of reviews - because they haven't changed in a decade or
more. Reviewers tend to review the new speakers and not the old standards.
When was the last Genelec review you saw in a magazine?

Horn tweeters are good for loudness, but are really no better than
a dome tweeter for accuracy(ie - looks mostly).

Great *sounding* CD recommendation? Bruce J. Richman Audio Opinions 0 June 12th 04 06:48 AM
Great *sounding* CD recommendation? Robert J Dewar Audio Opinions 1 June 9th 04 08:35 PM
Speakers recommendation RJH Car Audio 0 April 6th 04 09:56 AM
Any recommendation on GPS Navigation system? Joseph Luner Car Audio 5 December 30th 03 03:54 PM
Recommendation for SACD player Rich Andrews Audio Opinions 43 July 30th 03 01:10 AM