All Ears

Default System building

I would find it interesting to hear different opinions on how to build an
optimal system.

To make it fair to more fundamental differences, it would perhaps be more
interesting to put together two or more categories.

Cheapest possible components that will give optimal performance should be
used. Otherwise cost should not be taken into consideration

System 1 "The engineers dream" :

System should aim towards transparency, and best possible measurements.

System 2 "The emotional coupling"

Really, anything goes...........

This is just an idea, to what could be an interesting thread. I would
welcome suggestions to changing the "rules" or adding/changing categories.

I just hope this could be done in a good spirit, and there will be an
understanding of differences beyond possible agreement.

KE

Uptown Audio

I find that many that post to various newsgroups do not possess "good
spirits" (perhaps with the exception of Stewart ;-0), so a friendly
exchange of ideas is far from likely. The other issue is that there is
not an "optimal" way of designing a system as the term "optimal" can
be not only user-defined, but dynamic as they evolve the system and
their perceptions. One main ingredient in any system design would be
an open mind to allow the use of products that one may have some
prejustice against or to replace a product that one has an affinity
for. As you have suggested, two systems are better than one to address
some issues that many find lacking in a given system. The trouble is
that with thousands of products available and only a few needed to
complete the system, any sort of concensus is unlikely. Another way to
approach the issue may be to start with a reference system and allow
others to suggest what they might do to improve it. I will be brave
and list my components used in one of my systems and solicit opinions
of others for grins. For grins because if I had more cash, I know that
I would have already replaced the front end components and cost is
definately a consideration. I built this system by replacing the
speakers first, then the preamp, then the phono stage, then the power
amp. The only components that I feel that I need to replace now are
the turntable (next up) and the CD/DVD player. I have owned tons of
gear ranging from vintage vacuum tube to hand selected and built,
modern solid state gear so this system is sort of a mid-point and what
I have decided would be acceptable and reliable for a long stint. I am
not interested in a tuner upgrade as we don't get any decent stations
and don't care to improve on the garbage available. We will probably
get a digital cable or satellite feed at some point for commercial
free, variety music. I also have an old 30A Chang Lightspeed RF
filter/6 outlet surge protector which I don't plan on replacing
either, but you're welcome to comment. Your opinions and suggestions
to further this purely fun goal are welcome.

The System:

Rega P2 turntable
Rega Super Elys cartridge
Bryston BP1.5 phono stage