Kalman Rubinson

Default Digital coax vs. TOSLINK

On 18 Aug 2003 20:33:48 GMT, "aK" wrote:

i'm a noob and in the process of buying a new system. I'm not quite
sure which type of cable carries the clearer audio signal in between
DIGITAL COAX VS TOSLINK (OPTICAL)

Do a google search of "digital coax vs. toslink" and you'll get all
you can read. It's already out there.

Kal
Len Moskowitz

aK wrote:

i'm a noob and in the process of buying a new system. I'm not quite
sure which type of cable carries the clearer audio signal in between
DIGITAL COAX VS TOSLINK (OPTICAL)

Be careful -- there's lots of misinformation out there.

We made some measurements and found that there's no clear cut winner.

Both will pass bits accurately over their specified ranges.

Sometimes Toslink has less jitter; sometimes coax does.

Toslink is usually better in a high EMI environment.

Coax is usually better for runs longer than roughly 14-meters

(Remember: Toslink uses 1mm plastic optical fiber -- it's not intended
for long runs.)

Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912
Leonard

Ref: Coax vs Toslink...

For a bit more guidance, I would suggest looking
closer at Coax. Having gone through this scenario
many moons ago, it was just superior.

As Kalman stated, Google will burn you out with
this issue. Good luck,

Leonard...

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 20:33:48 +0000, aK wrote:

i'm a noob and in the process of buying a new system. I'm not quite
sure which type of cable carries the clearer audio signal in between
DIGITAL COAX VS TOSLINK (OPTICAL)

Wylie Williams

I report not from personal experience but the concencus of my
customers and installers and suppliers. Many moons ago the concensus was
that coax was better. More recently there are better toslink cables
available, so it is now a contest. Mnay price and quality levels compete.
Consider borrowing and comparing. Retailers will often loan cables for
comparison. In my store nobody ever minded that a cable might have been used
for evaluation. Of course this advice applies only if you plan to buy from
the reatailer.