Bruce Chastain

Default Stereo Amp Recommendation?

I have an aging Dynaco stereo power amp. 230 RMS watts @ 8 ohms, 20-20KHz,
both channels driven, etc., etc.

I'm looking for a reasonable cost replacement for it, of at least 200 RMS
watts @ 8 ohms per channel. Preferably in the $500 or less neighborhood.

The amp is often moved and used outdoors, so weight is of concern to me.
The Dynaco weighs 54 pounds and I'd definitely like to do better than that
next time. :-)

Anyone know of a reliable amp, capable of taking an occasional joke (shorted
speaker, etc.), that would fit that bill?

Thanks very much!
Bruce.

Harry Lavo

I'd look in a pro music catalog. There are reasonably priced amps from
Hafler, Crown, and Carver that use switching power supplies (thereby
reducing weight) while putting out fairly prodigous amounts of power.

"Bruce Chastain" wrote in message
I have an aging Dynaco stereo power amp. 230 RMS watts @ 8 ohms,

20-20KHz,
both channels driven, etc., etc.

I'm looking for a reasonable cost replacement for it, of at least 200 RMS
watts @ 8 ohms per channel. Preferably in the $500 or less neighborhood.

The amp is often moved and used outdoors, so weight is of concern to me.
The Dynaco weighs 54 pounds and I'd definitely like to do better than that
next time. :-)

Anyone know of a reliable amp, capable of taking an occasional joke

(shorted
speaker, etc.), that would fit that bill?

Thanks very much!
Bruce.

Dennis Moore

I agree. Get a good Crown or Carver to duplicate the sound of
that Dynaco.

On the other hand the current 200 wpc Adcom would give you
a much nicer sound.

Dennis

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message
[...]

Dennis Moore

Doublej,

I agree the Adcom is dry though recent ones aren't bright to me.
It is however smooth and mellow compared to Crown and Carver
amps I have heard. And most definitely smooth and mellow
compared to the old Dynaco SS amp.

Dennis

PS-if you wanted a good sounding amp for the $500 range,
B&K Sonata m200's are a good choice if you run across some
for that price. If you wanted to splurge a little for a really
terrific amp, sometimes now you see Spectral DMA50's for
$800. Only about 80 watts, but probably enough for most
uses.

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message
[...]

Mike Prager

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 04:09:18 GMT, "Bruce Chastain"
wrote:

Based on your recommendations, it looks like I'm going to have to seriously
rethink my price point. From what I've gathered looking at a zillion specs,
the amps in that power range fall in to 2 categories. $300-$500, and
$600-$900.

Well, if you're going to increase the price point, see if you
can get one of the smaller Bryston SST series amps on the used
market (e.g., Audiogon). To my ears, they're very good
sounding amps, and others seem to think so, too -- they've had
rave reviews.

Mike Prager
North Carolina, USA