Salvatore

Default Infinity QLS1 Woofer replacement advice needed

Would like to replace the 12" woofers in these and wondered if anyone knew
of a decent quality similar spec DVC woofer for them.

Also could use one of the domed midranges too if you know a match.

Thanks
MarkZimmerman

Would like to replace the 12" woofers in these and wondered if anyone knew
of a decent quality similar spec DVC woofer for them.

Also could use one of the domed midranges too if you know a match.

Thanks

Try writing as Harman is now the supplier of Infinity
parts. I know that my Kappa 8s are about 15 years old and when I needed a new
pair of woofers they had them in stock. Not all parts are carried by them but
they should be able to tell you who or where you can get repairs or spares for
your speaker components.

Best,

Mark Allen Zimmerman * Chicago
Briarpatch

Salvatore wrote:
Would like to replace the 12" woofers in these and wondered if anyone knew
of a decent quality similar spec DVC woofer for them.

I owned a pair of QLS's for about 4 years in the late 80's.
One of the things that made the QLS unique was that it used a
"Watkins woofer". My understanding is that the Watkins woofer
had 2 voice coils, each with a different impedance. To extend
the bass response, a special crossover shifted frequencies
near the resonance point of the first coil over to the second
coil, which had a different impedance & lower resonance frequency.

Every dual voice coil woofer I've seen for sale in the last 15
years has had 2 coils with the SAME impedance. I haven't looked
around, but it may be hard (if not impossible) to find a new
woofer with the special impedance specs of the Watkins woofer
used in the QLS. I know that's not very helpful, but I'm
just saying an off_the_shelf woofer might not make a suitable
replacement. It would be better to either repair the one
you have, or try to find an exact replacement.

Chip
San Francisco, CA

Wylie Williams

Your speakers are worth getting the exact replacement. Don't settle.
I was an Infinity dealer for a few years, and we repaired lots of Infinity
speakers. Infinity would periodically get parts made for their older
speakers that were supposedly built to spec. They seemed to wait till they
ran out before they made/ordered a new batch, and they were the most
disorganized parts source we ever had. But eventually the part would be
provided. By eventually I mean we often waited months. While my store was
open I stopped ordering Infinity parts because customers became enraged at
the long delays, thinking it was somehow our fault. But sometimes they had
the part and shipped immediately, and maybe they have become organized.
The original dome midrange is out of production, but hey have a replacement.
If you wish can also check with my local reconer, as he has some
miscellaneous parts.
I think I still have an Infinity parts book in my basement if you want me
to check the part, and maybe find a number to call. An alternative is to
find a reconer. I know one here is Saint Louis who might be able to help.
If you want me to ask, or you want to contact home yourself, let me know.

Wylie Williams

"Salvatore" wrote in message
Thanks for the tip!!