David Andrews

Default SACD / DVD-A Surround Sound Basic question

Hi

I have just bought a Pioneer 656A which includes the ability to play
SACD and DVD-Audio. I have a couple of DVD-A disks with both DD51
sound and Advanced Resolution Surround and Advanced Resolution Stereo
options.

I also have a hybrid Multi-Channel SACD and a couple of hybrid stereo
SACDs.

My question is when playing the DVD-A in Advanced Resolution Surround
mode or the SACD in Multi-Channel mode, what should I have my amp. set
to?

Should it be set to Pro-Logic? I have a Yamaha DSP A1092. If I turn
the effects (DSP) mode completely off, I am pretty sure it restricts
the sound to the two front speakers.

Hopefully this is a very easy question!!

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

David

Steven Sullivan

David Andrews wrote:
Hi

I have just bought a Pioneer 656A which includes the ability to play
SACD and DVD-Audio. I have a couple of DVD-A disks with both DD51
sound and Advanced Resolution Surround and Advanced Resolution Stereo
options.

I also have a hybrid Multi-Channel SACD and a couple of hybrid stereo
SACDs.

My question is when playing the DVD-A in Advanced Resolution Surround
mode or the SACD in Multi-Channel mode, what should I have my amp. set
to?

'6 channel analog' or the equivalent. YOur receive has to have a set of 6
analog connectors at the back, in order to play the advanced resolution
multichannel tracks.

Should it be set to Pro-Logic? I have a Yamaha DSP A1092. If I turn
the effects (DSP) mode completely off, I am pretty sure it restricts
the sound to the two front speakers.

Don't use any DSP on the multichannel analog signal. (On most receivers,
you can't anyway).

--
-S.

David Andrews

Steven Sullivan wrote in message news:3pgRa.80234$H17.22741@sccrnsc02...
David Andrews wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the quick replies.

Thought I had done something wrong! Now I have it wired up properly
it sounds how it should! Time for me to upgrade the amp. though.

David