yves abourachid

Default oracle delphi MkII advices

I have the opportunity to buy a 2nd hand oracle delphi wo arm. (for 1400
euro in france)
Are there any points witch need special attention and do you think the price
is right (it's approx the same amount in USD)
What tone-arm is recommended for this tt
many thanks for your advices

Lawrence Haber

On 10 Jul 2003 15:31:41 GMT, yves abourachid wrote:
I have the opportunity to buy a 2nd hand oracle delphi wo arm. (for 1400
euro in france)
Are there any points witch need special attention and do you think the price
is right (it's approx the same amount in USD)
What tone-arm is recommended for this tt
many thanks for your advices

I have a Delphi II, this model dates from around 1987. The price you
mention seems high for a TT of this age. I don't remember what price I paid
but it would not have been far off of that number, here on the US east coast.

There is an update kit you could get from Oracle that would renew the
springs, bearing oil and belt. The original belt completely dried out
around 10 years ago. The update kit is around USD150.

I only know the TT with my arm, a Zeta and have no idea on other arms with
this TT. The TT has served me very well. It sure looks great but looks don't
count, the sound does. The manufacturer had disappeared off the map for a
few years, I do not know the details, but has recently come back.

Graeme Nattress

Sounds rather expensive to me. I thought that the delphi only became
any good with later revisions?

Anyway, you could get a new GyroDec for that price, which seem to be a
much better buy.

Graeme

"yves abourachid" wrote in message ...
I have the opportunity to buy a 2nd hand oracle delphi wo arm. (for 1400
euro in france)
Are there any points witch need special attention and do you think the price
is right (it's approx the same amount in USD)
What tone-arm is recommended for this tt
many thanks for your advices

razak & william

Overpriced. I've seen used Delphi MK II's for as little as US$600 in high end
stores. Correct setting up, which is essential for the Delphi, comes free.

If you are on a budget, get the Rega RB300. An Infinity Black Widow, if you can
find one, is also compatible. If you had paid less for the Delhi, you could have
splurged on an Air Tangent linear tracker.

Best of luck with the Dephi anyhow.

raz

--
"The first duty in life is to assume a pose. What the second duty is, no one has
yet found out." -- Oscar Wilde

BITCASTER1

I've owned 2 of these beauties (1st one was the original & replaced with a MK 2
which was later crushed in the Northridge earthquake in '94). One used an
Alpheson arm (SM 1000 I think) with an Audioquest 404 cartridge and sounded way
too bright - could not get it to sound relaxed & "analogy" - second one I
bought used and it had a Linn Ikos arm with a Grado cartridge. The Ikos/Grado
sounded fabulous. I currently use a Linn LP-12 with an Ikos/Grado combo.
Sounds great.
One note: make shure you see it operate before forking over the cash - the
power supply and speed control were problematic.
Good luck!

Fill X

I think the later II's have a lot of the sound of the newer delphi's minus the
brooks berdan type structural mod which people say helps. The old dc motors
have pros and cons. I think the price is high but it's really a good sounding
table if you get a better deal. Usually the springs aren't worn out just the
rubber and the belt.

P h i l i p

"I'm too ****ing busy and vice-versa"

- Dorothy Parker