Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jay Kadis Jay Kadis is offline

Default Ardour, Linux and SSL

In case you haven't yet heard, SSL has announced its support of Paul
Davis and the Ardour project. It would seem open-source Linux audio
will become a viable alternative.

The main thing I found lacking in our Ardour setups was decent EQ and
dynamics processing and that is absolutely necessary to do production
mixing and recording so this is indeed interesting news.

http://www.ardour.org

-Jay

--
x------- Jay Kadis ------- x ---- Jay's Attic Studio ----x
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Jay Kadis wrote:
In case you haven't yet heard, SSL has announced its support of Paul
Davis and the Ardour project. It would seem open-source Linux audio
will become a viable alternative.

The main thing I found lacking in our Ardour setups was decent EQ and
dynamics processing and that is absolutely necessary to do production
mixing and recording so this is indeed interesting news.

Well they slung their support that needs a bit of work to catch up to where
everybody else was 5 (or more) years ago. That's a vote of confidence !

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Emiliano Grilli Emiliano Grilli is offline

Jay Kadis wrote:

In case you haven't yet heard, SSL has announced its support of Paul
Davis and the Ardour project. It would seem open-source Linux audio
will become a viable alternative.

This is indeed great news!
I used it for many months and I'm very happy with it.
My needs are quite limited (max 8 track at once), so I don't have
stressed it much, but as far as I can say ardour performs well with my
setup.

The main thing I found lacking in our Ardour setups was decent EQ and
dynamics processing and that is absolutely necessary to do production
mixing and recording

For EQ I use "Triple band parametric with shelves" from the Steve
Harris's collection of plugins and for compression the "SC1" from the
same author:
http://plugin.org.uk/ladspa-swh/docs/ladspa-swh.html
You can assign them pre or post fader on the mixer strip.

http://www.ardour.org

-Jay

Cheers
--
Emiliano Grilli
Linux user #209089

Posted to rec.audio.pro
dawhead dawhead is offline

Geoff wrote:
Jay Kadis wrote:
In case you haven't yet heard, SSL has announced its support of Paul
Davis and the Ardour project. It would seem open-source Linux audio
will become a viable alternative.

The main thing I found lacking in our Ardour setups was decent EQ and
dynamics processing and that is absolutely necessary to do production
mixing and recording so this is indeed interesting news.

Well they slung their support that needs a bit of work to catch up to where
everybody else was 5 (or more) years ago. That's a vote of confidence !

Some people would dispute your assessment of "where everybody else was
5 (or more) years ago." There are still plenty of DAWs around that
cannot stably record 24+ channels simultaneously,
and Ardour offered many features in its early development that over the
last 5 years have become more common (free routing between tracks and
busses being the most notable example). I just read a review of PT 7.2
in Sound on Sound which mentions new features in 7.2 that Ardour has
had for 3+ years. This is not to say that Ardour in its current form is
as smooth and easy to use for every task as existing proprietary DAWs,
but it has many users (more than 10,000 downloads, which is hard to
translate into a user count), and many of them find it very efficient,
useful and powerful. Quite of few of them have extensive experience on
other platforms. Are we ready to replace any existing DAW? Perhaps not
(though some people have decided to do so). But that isn't the most
important goal at all. An open, non-proprietary, technically sensible
session interchange standard would make the choice of DAW largely
irrelevant, and would be aided by a well defined, non-proprietary
plugin API. The fact that this industry has neither is one of the main
reasons why it has stagnated so badly in terms of technical innovation
in the last few years.

Paul Davis
Linux Audio Systems/Solid State Logic

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

dawhead wrote:
Geoff wrote:
Jay Kadis wrote:
In case you haven't yet heard, SSL has announced its support of Paul
Davis and the Ardour project. It would seem open-source Linux audio
will become a viable alternative.

The main thing I found lacking in our Ardour setups was decent EQ
and dynamics processing and that is absolutely necessary to do
production mixing and recording so this is indeed interesting news.

Well they slung their support that needs a bit of work to catch up
to where everybody else was 5 (or more) years ago. That's a vote of
confidence !

I guess that the reference to a lack of 'decent EQ and dynamics' was
somewhat subjective then, and to all intents and purposes those functions
are adequate ?

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jay Kadis Jay Kadis is offline

In article ,
"Geoff" wrote:

dawhead wrote:
Geoff wrote:
Jay Kadis wrote:
In case you haven't yet heard, SSL has announced its support of Paul
Davis and the Ardour project. It would seem open-source Linux audio
will become a viable alternative.

The main thing I found lacking in our Ardour setups was decent EQ
and dynamics processing and that is absolutely necessary to do
production mixing and recording so this is indeed interesting news.

Well they slung their support that needs a bit of work to catch up
to where everybody else was 5 (or more) years ago. That's a vote of
confidence !

I guess that the reference to a lack of 'decent EQ and dynamics' was
somewhat subjective then, and to all intents and purposes those functions
are adequate ?

geoff

For some users, they are. I want my Universal Audio and McDSP plug-ins.

-Jay

--
x------- Jay Kadis ------- x ---- Jay's Attic Studio ----x
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jay Kadis Jay Kadis is offline

In article .com,
"dawhead" wrote:

Geoff wrote:
Jay Kadis wrote:
[...]

Indeed the proprietary nature of plug-in interfaces is a big problem.
We use ProTools, Logic and Ardour in different capacities. There are
certain plug-ins I really like and some are available in Protools and
nowhere else and some are VST and/or AU compatible and this forces the
choice of platform.

CCRMA is committed to Ardour for our computer and electro-acoustic work
and there is certainly a desire to use it for teaching sound recording
and mixing. But at the moment students need to know the commercial
platforms if they want to work in the recording industry. Hopefully
that will change.

I'd like to thank Paul for the open-source option Ardour presents and
the work he's put into it. One of our students last year was a
dedicated Ardour user and his work shows how well the system can perform.

-Jay

--
x------- Jay Kadis ------- x ---- Jay's Attic Studio ----x