Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny T Danny T is offline

Default What is this amp?

I have had this amp for years but I don't know what it is.

http://www.danny.taddei.org/amp/index.htm

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Fletch Fletch is offline

Danny T wrote:
I have had this amp for years but I don't know what it is.

http://www.danny.taddei.org/amp/index.htm

If I had to take a stabbing guess, I'd say a Standel. The script also
suggests something in the Silvertone camp, perhaps?

--Fletch

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny T Danny T is offline

Fletch wrote:
Danny T wrote:
I have had this amp for years but I don't know what it is.

http://www.danny.taddei.org/amp/index.htm

If I had to take a stabbing guess, I'd say a Standel. The script also
suggests something in the Silvertone camp, perhaps?

--Fletch

One guy emailed me and said it was a Danelectro DM-10. I've never heard
of or sean one so I wouldn't have a clew - andy thoughts?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill Les Cargill is offline

Danny T wrote:

Fletch wrote:

Danny T wrote:

I have had this amp for years but I don't know what it is.

http://www.danny.taddei.org/amp/index.htm

If I had to take a stabbing guess, I'd say a Standel. The script also
suggests something in the Silvertone camp, perhaps?

--Fletch

One guy emailed me and said it was a Danelectro DM-10. I've never heard
of or sean one so I wouldn't have a clew - andy thoughts?

Here's a pic of a DM-10 on fleaBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Danelect...p hotohosting

Similar, but not identical.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steven Sena Steven Sena is offline

I vote Silvertone...

--
Steven Sena

"Danny T" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have had this amp for years but I don't know what it is.

http://www.danny.taddei.org/amp/index.htm

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chevdo Chevdo is offline

In article .com,
says...

I have had this amp for years but I don't know what it is.

ugly

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny T Danny T is offline

Les Cargill wrote: Here's a pic of a DM-10 on fleaBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Danelect...p hotohosting

Similar, but not identical.

--
Les Cargill

Not close. Thanks for the confirm on that so it can be out of the way.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ben Bradley Ben Bradley is offline

On 9 Oct 2006 13:44:09 -0700, "Danny T"
wrote:

I have had this amp for years but I don't know what it is.

http://www.danny.taddei.org/amp/index.htm

sometimes the same thing. Why not take the back off, look at the
chassis, maybe even unscrew it and slide it out so you can see it all
over, and see if it says anything? Might as well look at the tube
types too, that would give a strong hint as to the design, and what
other amps use the same set of tubes.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny T Danny T is offline

wrote:

I have had this amp for years but I don't know what it is.

http://www.danny.taddei.org/amp/index.htm

sometimes the same thing. Why not take the back off, look at the
chassis, maybe even unscrew it and slide it out so you can see it all
over, and see if it says anything? Might as well look at the tube
types too, that would give a strong hint as to the design, and what
other amps use the same set of tubes.

Been there did that - no clews other then the tubes but I don't know
much about tubes. I could post a picture of the guts and maybe someone
will know. I'll do that in the manana :-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler Paul Stamler is offline

"Danny T" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have had this amp for years but I don't know what it is.

Does it have the word "Chicago" anywhere on the chassis or on a piece of
paper someplace? There was a company in Chicago (I disremember the name)
that made amps which appeared under lots of nameplates, including Silvertone
and Kalamazoo. Cheap and, often, quite nice-sounding. This looks just a
little like my Kalamazoo.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny T Danny T is offline

Paul Stamler wrote:
"Danny T" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have had this amp for years but I don't know what it is.

Does it have the word "Chicago" anywhere on the chassis or on a piece of
paper someplace? There was a company in Chicago (I disremember the name)
that made amps which appeared under lots of nameplates, including Silvertone
and Kalamazoo. Cheap and, often, quite nice-sounding. This looks just a
little like my Kalamazoo.

Peace,
Paul

It doens't have any name at all on it. There is a little logo but
strangely it is a bit covered by amp housing.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
animix animix is offline

Me too.

"Steven Sena" wrote in message
news
I vote Silvertone...

--
Steven Sena

Me too.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler Paul Stamler is offline

"Danny T" wrote in message
ups.com...

It doens't have any name at all on it. There is a little logo but
strangely it is a bit covered by amp housing.

What tubes does it use? How many of each?

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler Paul Stamler is offline

"I. Care" wrote in message
.net...

It is a Gregory amplifier. Did a little internet search for "Two Fifty
amplifier" and found some pictures of it.

http://www.diyguitarist.com/GuitarAmps/GregoryAmps.htm

or

http://tinyurl.com/gsx8b

Scroll about 1/2 way down the page under "The Two Fifty" heading.

Hope that helps...

From the website, it has no power transformer, but operates directly off the
120V line. Which makes it a major deathtrap. To the OP: If you're still
playing through this amp, put a 120:120 isolation transformer on it pronto.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny T Danny T is offline

I. Care wrote:

It is a Gregory amplifier. Did a little internet search for "Two Fifty
amplifier" and found some pictures of it.

http://www.diyguitarist.com/GuitarAmps/GregoryAmps.htm

or

http://tinyurl.com/gsx8b

Scroll about 1/2 way down the page under "The Two Fifty" heading.

Hope that helps...
--
I. Care

I OWE YOU A BEER - MAYBE TWO!!!

This is it exactly. I can't blieve you found it. I searched everything
I could think of including two fifty and never found this. What a huge
help this is. Thank you SO MUCH for your time - Thanks to all of you
but this is it. thanks

Danny

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny T Danny T is offline

Paul Stamler wrote:
"I. Care" wrote in message
.net...

It is a Gregory amplifier. Did a little internet search for "Two Fifty
amplifier" and found some pictures of it.

http://www.diyguitarist.com/GuitarAmps/GregoryAmps.htm

or

http://tinyurl.com/gsx8b

Scroll about 1/2 way down the page under "The Two Fifty" heading.

Hope that helps...

From the website, it has no power transformer, but operates directly off the
120V line. Which makes it a major deathtrap. To the OP: If you're still
playing through this amp, put a 120:120 isolation transformer on it pronto.

Peace,
Paul

WOW! I didn't notice that and I looked inside. Thanks for the heads up.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ben Bradley Ben Bradley is offline

On 10 Oct 2006 16:55:34 -0700, "Danny T"
wrote:

I. Care wrote:

It is a Gregory amplifier. Did a little internet search for "Two Fifty
amplifier" and found some pictures of it.

http://www.diyguitarist.com/GuitarAmps/GregoryAmps.htm

or

http://tinyurl.com/gsx8b

Scroll about 1/2 way down the page under "The Two Fifty" heading.

Hope that helps...
--
I. Care

I OWE YOU A BEER - MAYBE TWO!!!

Okay, but you owe Paul a six-pack for the "heads up" pointing out
that it's a non-isolated, directly line-powered amp.

Looking at the third pic showing the chassis top, I see the three
sockets for miniature tubes to be installed in the bottom, with this
caption on the right:

"This is the chassis. This amp has no power transformer, only an
output transformer. It used three tubes and it appears to have an 8"
speaker."

Again, what are the tube types? I'm guessing 50C5 output, 35W4
rectifier and 12AX7 preamp, and perhaps a big power resistor to drop
the remaining voltage from the 117 volt power line. Seeing tube types
such as these (the first number is the heater voltage) is a strong
hint that the heater string is run off the power line (all heaters
have the same current rating so they can be wired in series) and is a
line-powered device, just like an "All American 5" line-powered tube
AM radio.

This is it exactly. I can't blieve you found it. I searched everything
I could think of including two fifty and never found this. What a huge
help this is. Thank you SO MUCH for your time - Thanks to all of you
but this is it. thanks

Danny

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny T Danny T is offline

Ben Bradley wrote:
[...]

I've been dealing with this info since I read it and don't know what to
do about it. I am a bit afraid of turning it on anymore since I am slow
in the wiring world of AC. I really like this amp but now think I
should sell it to someone that can make it safe. I really don't want to
spend any money on it. Easy to use or not, I'd rather get another amp
then start messing with circuits.

I probably owe several of you beers but that is sort of a dumb thing to
think about. If you were here I'd buy y'all beers anyway just because
its the right thing to do :-)

I really have not turned this on since that post. I am not sure if
there could be a problem - haven't seen one yet - but would feel pretty
stupid if I got zapped after knowing there may be a problem.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Danny T wrote:

I've been dealing with this info since I read it and don't know what to
do about it. I am a bit afraid of turning it on anymore since I am slow
in the wiring world of AC. I really like this amp but now think I
should sell it to someone that can make it safe. I really don't want to
spend any money on it. Easy to use or not, I'd rather get another amp
then start messing with circuits.

So call a tech. It's an easy thing to add and most of the work involved
is making the chassis look nice inside.

You could buy an outboard isolation transformer as well. Stancor sells
some nice ones that you would just plug the amp into.

I probably owe several of you beers but that is sort of a dumb thing to
think about. If you were here I'd buy y'all beers anyway just because
its the right thing to do :-)

I really have not turned this on since that post. I am not sure if
there could be a problem - haven't seen one yet - but would feel pretty
stupid if I got zapped after knowing there may be a problem.

Hot chassis designs are pretty damn cheesy, but there were a lot of them
out there in the fifties. The way I feel about it, if you know you are
going to be using them in the studio and not in clubs with doubtful quality
power, just add a three-prong cord to them and go. As long as the outlet
ground is good, you're protected. On the other hand, adding an isolation
transformer not only improves safety but it also will reduce problems
with noise coming off the power line as well.

Halted Specialties currently has some nice toroidal isolation transformers
for thirty bucks.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny T Danny T is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Danny T wrote:
Halted Specialties currently has some nice toroidal isolation transformers
for thirty bucks.

Well then, I'd take care of biz! I thought that it was going to be $100
plus or so for the part. I think I replaced something like that once
and it was much more then that but on retro, it was for a big amp and
that is probably why the bucks were big.

Thanks for the pep talk.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler Paul Stamler is offline

"Danny T" wrote in message
oups.com...

I've been dealing with this info since I read it and don't know what to
do about it. I am a bit afraid of turning it on anymore since I am slow
in the wiring world of AC. I really like this amp but now think I
should sell it to someone that can make it safe. I really don't want to
spend any money on it. Easy to use or not, I'd rather get another amp
then start messing with circuits.

I probably owe several of you beers but that is sort of a dumb thing to
think about. If you were here I'd buy y'all beers anyway just because
its the right thing to do :-)

I really have not turned this on since that post. I am not sure if
there could be a problem - haven't seen one yet - but would feel pretty
stupid if I got zapped after knowing there may be a problem.

What you need is a 120V - 120V isolation transformer. Go to an amp tech and
have him wire one in, along with a new power cord that is a three-prong. Any
decent amp tech will know how to do this; if he tells you not to worry about
it, go to another tech.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny T Danny T is offline

Paul Stamler wrote:
"Danny T" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

That's the plan for the first of next week

thanks to you guys for letting me know there was a problem. It would
suck to get fried :-)