Posted to rec.audio.pro
newdark newdark is offline

Default Is my power amplifier good to drive reference monitors?

Hello,
what I've got here is a Technics SE-A1010 with its matching SU-C1010
Hi-Fi Pre Amplifier. I wonder if they are good to drive a pair of
studio monitors or if I should prefer to get a pair of active monitors
and just leave the Technics' for listening, since I don't know if
studio amplifiers have features that mine don't have. I am really on a
low budget so I was thinkin about getting 2 passive Alesis Monitor One
MK II for 144 euros new. Thank you in advance,
ciao
alessandro

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 8 Oct 2006 04:30:39 -0700, "newdark" wrote:

what I've got here is a Technics SE-A1010 with its matching SU-C1010
Hi-Fi Pre Amplifier. I wonder if they are good to drive a pair of
studio monitors or if I should prefer to get a pair of active monitors
and just leave the Technics' for listening, since I don't know if
studio amplifiers have features that mine don't have. I am really on a
low budget so I was thinkin about getting 2 passive Alesis Monitor One
MK II for 144 euros new. Thank you in advance,

At that level, use the existing amp. Are your present speakers
mega-crap? I'm not sure there's much point in "upgrading" to speakers
in that price range.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jaimo Jaimo is offline

This is a matter of preference. Hook up the amp listen and decide. Just
be sure that the amp's output is high enough to drive the monitors to
healthy levels without clipping. (Remember that a more powerful amp is
less likely to damage your speakers if used sensibly while one that has
a low power rating is likely to clip and it's the clipping that most
often kills tweeters) Also make sure that the amplifier is designed to
match the impedance of your speakers. Most consumer amplifiers are not
able to drive speakers whose impedance drops below 4 ohms and this
manifests itself in poor sound quality.

In general, active monitors are more accurate as the crossover is
placed before the amplifiers where it has lower power levels to deal
with - this also allows more flexibility in the type of filters used
and can help the designer better integrate the sound across the two or
more drivers. The amplifiers can also be properly optimized for
specific drive units and since they are operating over a limited
bandwidth, require lower feedback which often improves the subjective
quality of the speaker. There are a bunch of other reasons why active
speakers can be better if properly designed.

At the same time, a poorly designed active or amplified speaker can
sound much worse than a good passive / external amp combo.

So, let yours ears make the decision.

newdark wrote:
Hello,
what I've got here is a Technics SE-A1010 with its matching SU-C1010
Hi-Fi Pre Amplifier. I wonder if they are good to drive a pair of
studio monitors or if I should prefer to get a pair of active monitors
and just leave the Technics' for listening, since I don't know if
studio amplifiers have features that mine don't have. I am really on a
low budget so I was thinkin about getting 2 passive Alesis Monitor One
MK II for 144 euros new. Thank you in advance,
ciao
alessandro

Posted to rec.audio.pro
newdark newdark is offline

Laurence: my old pioneers are blown I decided to get something with
a flatter response this time.

My amplifier has these features:

Super linearity and super sound quality - MOS Class AA circuit
Audiophile quality TA-KEH II electrolytic capacitors
120w x2 high power output (DIN 4ohms)
Level control on rear panel for gain fine tuning for bi-amp use
Aluminium front panel
Large needle-type power meters
A and/or B speaker selector
Meter light off switch
Headphone jack

Jaimo: I can't test anything at home before buying... in this ****e
city all I can do is getting stuff by mail. I can spend no more than
200 euros. There's also a guy who's offering me like-new fosterx' P1
for 200 e.

newdark wrote:
Hello,
what I've got here is a Technics SE-A1010 with its matching SU-C1010
Hi-Fi Pre Amplifier. I wonder if they are good to drive a pair of
studio monitors or if I should prefer to get a pair of active monitors
and just leave the Technics' for listening, since I don't know if
studio amplifiers have features that mine don't have. I am really on a
low budget so I was thinkin about getting 2 passive Alesis Monitor One
MK II for 144 euros new. Thank you in advance,
ciao
alessandro

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 8 Oct 2006 05:46:13 -0700, "newdark" wrote:

Laurence: my old pioneers are blown I decided to get something with
a flatter response this time.

My amplifier has these features:

Super linearity and super sound quality - MOS Class AA circuit
Audiophile quality TA-KEH II electrolytic capacitors
120w x2 high power output (DIN 4ohms)
Level control on rear panel for gain fine tuning for bi-amp use
Aluminium front panel
Large needle-type power meters
A and/or B speaker selector
Meter light off switch
Headphone jack

That's different! You didn't say it had an ALUMINIUM FRONT PANEL!!!!
Respect!!!! :-)

Honestly, at that price level I'd be looking for a pair of hi-fi
speakers. Big ones - the sort people throw out because the wife
thinks they're ugly. You might even get them for free. Then there's
a chance you might get some bass. You can train your ears into
hearing the balance you need for a translatable mix. But you can't
balance the bass if there ISN'T any :-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
newdark newdark is offline

I've blown these
http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_...onomy_id=42-99

but I still have these
http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_...onomy_id=42-99

anyway I need a couple of monitors, not punchy hi-fi speakers...
I can hook up 2 pairs of speakers so I was just wondering if it's
better or not to get passive ones or just get active ones.I could save
money and get me a couple of ns-10m and mix in the headphones in the
meantime. Or I could get those fostex PM1.

Honestly, at that price level I'd be looking for a pair of hi-fi
speakers. Big ones - the sort people throw out because the wife
thinks they're ugly. You might even get them for free. Then there's
a chance you might get some bass. You can train your ears into
hearing the balance you need for a translatable mix. But you can't
balance the bass if there ISN'T any :-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

newdark wrote:
what I've got here is a Technics SE-A1010 with its matching SU-C1010
Hi-Fi Pre Amplifier. I wonder if they are good to drive a pair of
studio monitors or if I should prefer to get a pair of active monitors

low budget so I was thinkin about getting 2 passive Alesis Monitor One
MK II for 144 euros new. Thank you in advance,

Given that budget, I'd get the Monitor Ones and connect them to your
amplifier. It's not good, but it will make sound, and it won't be any
worse than "listening" speakers. Think about a total monitoring upgrade
after your first CD release sells out and you have some money.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
MD MD is offline

newdark wrote:
Hello,
what I've got here is a Technics SE-A1010 with its matching SU-C1010
Hi-Fi Pre Amplifier. I wonder if they are good to drive a pair of
studio monitors or if I should prefer to get a pair of active monitors
and just leave the Technics' for listening, since I don't know if
studio amplifiers have features that mine don't have. I am really on a
low budget so I was thinkin about getting 2 passive Alesis Monitor One
MK II for 144 euros new. Thank you in advance,
ciao
alessandro

Interesting post here. Kind of shows that those who record don't
necessarily have a clue what good playback sounds like. (I don't mean
everyone). More often than not when I read about the home equipment of
artists and those who work in the recording industry the equipment is or
is usually no better than a rack system. (Usually big name pop and
country music industry personnel). I'm sure there is no way not to
sound elitist here - given that-there are many brands to choose from.
If you listen to the poorly produced mass market dreg then stick with
what you have. IF you dable in jazz, blues, indie (where they seem to
have better taste or maybe they can't afford the whiz bang crap that
makes mass market stuff sound "better") classical etc then I suggest
looking for something better - and used to stay in budget.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 10:10:16 -0600, MD wrote:

Interesting post here. Kind of shows that those who record don't
necessarily have a clue what good playback sounds like.

Of course, he doesn't need "good" speakers (whatever those might be:-)
He wants to know what he's recording.

I'm worried about these tiny, cheap monitor speakers. The bottom end
is where you can get a mix really wrong. So how can you mix on small
speakers with NO bottom end? Cheap sub units are often
single-frequency. I'm not impressed.

If you can't afford bigger, better monitors, don't travel that path at
all. As I said before, you'll be better off with a hi-fi speaker.
Just make sure it's BIG, and includes at least an 8" bass unit.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
newdark newdark is offline

Hey Mike, what do you think if I get yamaha NS-10m for 300 euros
instead? That would make a big difference? Remember I'll use my
technics amp in the beginning. The fact is that I don't know if I
should invest time and money in passive monitors, but this looks like a
good trade between price and performance. Even if I'm broke I hate to
get cheap stuff when it doesn't work well, I prefer spending double
that price and keepin it for years.
thanks
ale

Mike Rivers wrote:
newdark wrote:
what I've got here is a Technics SE-A1010 with its matching SU-C1010
Hi-Fi Pre Amplifier. I wonder if they are good to drive a pair of
studio monitors or if I should prefer to get a pair of active monitors

low budget so I was thinkin about getting 2 passive Alesis Monitor One
MK II for 144 euros new. Thank you in advance,

Given that budget, I'd get the Monitor Ones and connect them to your
amplifier. It's not good, but it will make sound, and it won't be any
worse than "listening" speakers. Think about a total monitoring upgrade
after your first CD release sells out and you have some money.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jaimo Jaimo is offline

Okay - lets try to evaluate the Technics power amp - without actually
listening to it. It's specified at 2 x 70W (or 80W depending on where
you look) at both 4 and 8 ohms and weighs in at 10.3 kg (aluminium face
included).
For good measure, a Bryston 2B sst is rated at 100W into 8 ohms and 180
W into 4 ohms. The 2B weighs in at 12.7 kg. Since a good solid state
amp should deliver close to double the output power at 4 ohms, it looks
like Technics have spent more money on that sexy case than on the power
supply and output stage. Based on these assumptions, you are better off
looking at a loudspeaker that presents an easy load to drive and has a
high sensitivity.

The Alesis Monitor 1 is rated at 4 ohms and has a low sensitivity (88db
SPL @1W@1m) - this is not a good match for the Technics amp.

My suggestion - save up some cash and shop around for a pair of used
active nearfields. Hi-Fi loudspeakers have unpredictable nearfield
of speaker with yr Technics amp and your room.

check out this website ;-

http://www.thomann.de/gb/active_nearfield_monitors.html

Good luck

newdark wrote:
Hello,
what I've got here is a Technics SE-A1010 with its matching SU-C1010
Hi-Fi Pre Amplifier. I wonder if they are good to drive a pair of
studio monitors or if I should prefer to get a pair of active monitors
and just leave the Technics' for listening, since I don't know if
studio amplifiers have features that mine don't have. I am really on a
low budget so I was thinkin about getting 2 passive Alesis Monitor One
MK II for 144 euros new. Thank you in advance,
ciao
alessandro

Posted to rec.audio.pro

newdark wrote:
Hey Mike, what do you think if I get yamaha NS-10m for 300 euros
instead?

Suit yourself, but I wouldn't do it. Unless of course you determine
that you could sell the NS-10s at a healthy profit when you're ready
for something else. Neither the NS-10 nor the Monitor 1 is a
partciuarly good monitor, but both will make noise. NS-10s are fairly
fussy about what's driving them.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

newdark wrote:
what I've got here is a Technics SE-A1010 with its matching SU-C1010
Hi-Fi Pre Amplifier. I wonder if they are good to drive a pair of
studio monitors or if I should prefer to get a pair of active monitors
and just leave the Technics' for listening, since I don't know if
studio amplifiers have features that mine don't have. I am really on a
low budget so I was thinkin about getting 2 passive Alesis Monitor One
MK II for 144 euros new. Thank you in advance,

You could do that, and the worst that would happen is that it will sound bad because
the Technics is... kind of shrieky-sounding.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

newdark wrote:
Hey Mike, what do you think if I get yamaha NS-10m for 300 euros
instead? That would make a big difference? Remember I'll use my
technics amp in the beginning. The fact is that I don't know if I
should invest time and money in passive monitors, but this looks like a
good trade between price and performance. Even if I'm broke I hate to
get cheap stuff when it doesn't work well, I prefer spending double
that price and keepin it for years.

The NS-10 has such exaggerated treble that it is really unlistenable.... I cannot stand to
be in the control room with the things for very long. Add to that a crappy Technics amp
and you have a recipe for something that sounds like needles being jammed into your ears.
Bad combination.