Posted to rec.audio.pro
Karl W. Lohninger Karl W. Lohninger is offline

Default AKG CK4

I'm curious about a CK4 capsule that's on Ebay right now - I've never had
the opportunity to use or even see one of those. Anybody here who can put
some light on it respectively actually used one?

its at
http://tinyurl.com/fq23h

Does it sound the same as a C414 as it's using probably the same capsule?

thanks,,
Karl Lohninger
audio etc....

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] jwilliams3@audioupgrades.com is offline

Karl W. Lohninger wrote:
I'm curious about a CK4 capsule that's on Ebay right now - I've never had
the opportunity to use or even see one of those. Anybody here who can put
some light on it respectively actually used one?

its at
http://tinyurl.com/fq23h

Does it sound the same as a C414 as it's using probably the same capsule?

thanks,,
Karl Lohninger
audio etc....

It's a 1" large diaphragm set up in a figure 8 pattern. These were made
in '81 and 82. There are only about 4 in the USA, a friend has one that
we traced back to the 3 previous owners at a 90's AES show when it was
displayed in my booth. It's threaded for the 451 body. It will not work
on a 460 body even with the reduction ring as the 10 gig imput
impedance won't charge the large capsule. It will nicely fit a C-60
nuvister body. Favorite trick is to open the head and pull the pin off
the rear capsule, this turns it into a cardiode pattern.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rob Reedijk Rob Reedijk is offline

wrote:

Karl W. Lohninger wrote:
[...]

It went for about $1200 in the ebay auction! I guess people will overpay
because it is a rare capsule. Consider the fact that it is not difficult
to find an actual 414EB/ck12 for less than that amount...

Rob R.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JP Gerard JP Gerard is offline

It went for about $1200 in the ebay auction! I guess people will overpay
because it is a rare capsule. Consider the fact that it is not difficult
to find an actual 414EB/ck12 for less than that amount...

Rob R.

You must be joking... as far as I know, they're all teflon types... even if
it was a "real" CK12, buying without evaluating its condition is plain
stupid.

JP

Posted to rec.audio.pro

JP Gerard wrote:
It went for about $1200 in the ebay auction! I guess people will overpay
because it is a rare capsule. Consider the fact that it is not difficult
to find an actual 414EB/ck12 for less than that amount...

Rob R.

You must be joking... as far as I know, they're all teflon types... even if
it was a "real" CK12, buying without evaluating its condition is plain
stupid.

No I am not joking. I have turned some down that were in my hands for
considerably less money but in good working condition. And yes these
were brass capsule versions. By the way, you don't think buying the ck4 on
ebay for $1200 without being able to evaluate it is plain stupid?

And one more thing---I know people who prefer teflon 414EBs over the brass
capsule ones. It depends on your application. And much too much credit
for the brass capsule 414EB is given to the capsule and not enough to
the electronics.

Rob R.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JP Gerard JP Gerard is offline

No I am not joking. I have turned some down that were in my hands for
considerably less money but in good working condition. And yes these
were brass capsule versions.

I learned something, thanks!!! Good to know.

By the way, you don't think buying the ck4 on
ebay for $1200 without being able to evaluate it is plain stupid?

That's what I said, yes...??

And one more thing---I know people who prefer teflon 414EBs over the brass
capsule ones.

I have and like both, depending on what I'm looking for... The C414EB with
teflon capsule is nice and linear... for a LDC... takes EQ well, too.

It depends on your application. And much too much credit
for the brass capsule 414EB is given to the capsule and not enough to
the electronics.

My bradd CK12 rests in a C414 and it's a hint quieter and hotter than my
C414EB.

The flexibilityof the C414EB is welcome by times but I can't complaint abdou
the C414... certainly can't say that it suffers from headroom or noise
problems.

Those mics are among my favs and beat most Neumanns IMHO. I have a U87 and
barely use it. The 414 family is just more useful and performs better... the
only app where the U87 is cool is close mic'ed vocals, when you want that
sound... however, last project I did, we used UM70, C414, C414EB, Sony C38b
but didn't use the U87... wasn't right... and yes, all my mics are up^to
factory specs or better, including capsules specs...

Have to say that from the C414B-ULS on, the family sort of lost its magic
though... but I haven't tried the EB-P48.

JP

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] jwilliams3@audioupgrades.com is offline

It will fit the 480 but it won't charge up. It will work on a 451/2
with the reduction ring available from AKG. I would buy it for far less
and the fact the guy spent $1200 shows a fashion statement involved. No
worries about capsule condition, AKG would replace it for $300. Yes, I
like the teflon flat capsules better than the brass ring models, they
are more linear and consistant. Something about a ruler flat 1" that
gets me excited.
BTW, I'm telling my friend with the CK-4 that one went for $1200. You
just might see another for bidding soon...

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Richard is offline

"JP Gerard" wrote in message
[...]

The EB-P48, that's one of the models from before the C414B-ULS according to
AKG's website. Have you heard the C414 EB and the C 414 E1? According to
AKG, this last one is a large diameter double membrane studio condenser mic
with remote control polar pattern that comes with or is meant to operate
with an S 42 E1, which is a remote controller for two C414 E1's.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JP Gerard JP Gerard is offline

The EB-P48, that's one of the models from before the C414B-ULS according
AKG's website. Have you heard the C414 EB and the C 414 E1? According to
AKG, this last one is a large diameter double membrane studio condenser

mic
with remote control polar pattern that comes with or is meant to operate
with an S 42 E1, which is a remote controller for two C414 E1's.

I have a mint EB and an original 414. The E1 is a EB with remote pattern
switch and should sound just like an EB. The circuit and capsule are
certainly the same.

JP

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Richard is offline

"JP Gerard" wrote in message
The EB-P48, that's one of the models from before the C414B-ULS according

AKG's website. Have you heard the C414 EB and the C 414 E1? According to
AKG, this last one is a large diameter double membrane studio condenser

mic
with remote control polar pattern that comes with or is meant to operate
with an S 42 E1, which is a remote controller for two C414 E1's.

I have a mint EB and an original 414. The E1 is a EB with remote pattern
switch and should sound just like an EB. The circuit and capsule are
certainly the same.

JP

Gees, where do you find something like that - a stereo pair? I'm thinking I
would use it for classical guitar recording and for mic'ing my amps (I run
my guitar from stereo pickups, each to a different amp) in a home recording
studio and similarly for on stage close mic'ing. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Rick

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JP Gerard JP Gerard is offline

Gees, where do you find something like that - a stereo pair? I'm thinking
would use it for classical guitar recording and for mic'ing my amps (I run
my guitar from stereo pickups, each to a different amp) in a home

recording
studio and similarly for on stage close mic'ing. Any thoughts/suggestions?

If you want a pair for XY and MS, get a C422... or a C34.

JP

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Richard is offline

"JP Gerard" wrote in message
Gees, where do you find something like that - a stereo pair? I'm thinking

would use it for classical guitar recording and for mic'ing my amps (I
run
my guitar from stereo pickups, each to a different amp) in a home

recording
studio and similarly for on stage close mic'ing. Any
thoughts/suggestions?

If you want a pair for XY and MS, get a C422... or a C34.

JP

What is an MS? Are these two models also tube and why these models over a C
414?
Rick

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JP Gerard JP Gerard is offline

What is an MS?

Mid Side recording. Look it up in your fav recording technique book.

Are these two models also tube

None mentionned so far are.

and why these models over a C414?

You mentionned stereo recording I think...

JP

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Richard is offline

"JP Gerard" wrote in message
What is an MS?

Mid Side recording. Look it up in your fav recording technique book.

Are these two models also tube

None mentionned so far are.

and why these models over a C414?

You mentionned stereo recording I think...

JP

Electrovoice RE-22 a tube model. Have you heard/heard of that one?
Rick

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Richard wrote:

What is an MS? Are these two models also tube and why these models over a C
414?

1. M-S miking is discussed in the FAQ.

2. None of these have tubes in them. Why do you care if it has a tube in it?
Listen to what it sounds like.

3. All of these models are preferred over a C414/EB, because you can't get
any C414/EBs any more, and if you can find one it will probably not be
part of a matched pair.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Richard wrote:

Electrovoice RE-22 a tube model. Have you heard/heard of that one?
Rick

Electrovoice has never made any tube microphones. They really didn't make
any condenser microphones of any sort until very recently.

They also never made an RE-22 model. Are you thinking of the RE-20 or
RE-27? Both of these are dynamic and do not have tubes in them, but they
are very fine vocal mikes.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 11:17:47 -0500, Scott Dorsey wrote
(in article ):

Richard wrote:

Electrovoice RE-22 a tube model. Have you heard/heard of that one?
Rick

Electrovoice has never made any tube microphones. They really didn't make
any condenser microphones of any sort until very recently.

They also never made an RE-22 model. Are you thinking of the RE-20 or
RE-27? Both of these are dynamic and do not have tubes in them, but they
are very fine vocal mikes.
--scott

I don't know when I wrote the EV RE2000 condenser mic review, but I think it
was more than ten years ago...

Regards,

Ty Ford

ElectroVoice RE2000
Ty Ford, Baltimore MD

It's been over two years since I first saw and heard the ElectroVoice RE2000.
It
was in its early prototype stages and, quite frankly, I can't remember much
about
it other than it reminded me of a cross between a Buck Rogers space gun and a

Braun shaver. The RE2000 is out, it sounds very good, and were it not for the

$2,450 list price (including phantom supply, elastic and metal suspension
bracket,
cable, hard case and pop-filter), it would be positioned perfectly to become
the new
darling of the microphone market. Even if you agree that the phantom supply,
suspension bracket and pop filter comprise $300 of the cost, the remaining
$2,150
is still high for a single-pattern condenser in today's market.

What we've got here is a low noise, single-pattern (cardioid)
condenser--that's
right a condenser mic from EV--with a transformer output that's a good 6 to 8
dB
hotter than a Neumann U87 or an AKG 414. The extra gain translates into a
benefit by allowing you to back your preamp gain off by 6 to 8dB, which can
be real
helpful if you've got noisey preamps. The RE2000 also has a bass roll off
(12dB per
octave @ 130Hz), and a 10dB pad.

What isn't typical about the RE2000 is that it's packing a heater. Somewhere
in
their market research, EV received enough request for a temperature
stabilizing
heater element to include it. That explains the 5-pin XLR on the end of the
mic
and the special "Y" connector cable. On one branch of the "Y" cable is a
"line
lump" power supply and a power cord. On the second branch of the cord is the
5-
pin female XLR for the mic. The third leg is terminated with a standard 3-pin

XLR which routes the signal to the outside world.

Although I have heard of cases in which changing ambient temperatures and
high humidity have caused condenser mics to freak out, most of the time it's
due
to rugged outdoor conditions; location recording in rain forests or recording
at
outdoor music venues. Since you don't run into these conditions in the
average
control room and studio until the AC breaks down in August, you have to ask
yourself whether the heater is worth the extra expense.

Of course you can always ignore the heater and phantom supply by making up
your own 5-pin to 3-pin mic cables and using the RE2000 as you would any
other
condenser mic, but that brings us back to the point that you've got a
single-pattern
condenser mic costing $2,450. For that amount of money, you have to really
like
the RE2000's remaining features to rationalize the expense. Those features,
namely the sound and the look of the mic, often fall into anything but the
rational
area.

I predict that both the broadcast and studio markets will like the look of
the
RE2000. Its size, weight and shape is that of a professional device, and when

inserted in the suspension mount the total system looks...well, somewhat
exotic.
The pop filter, while satisfactory for studio recording, could be improved
upon for
broadcast. Its current shape takes up too much space and looks a bit fragile.

Broadcasters won't be able to nuzzle as they do with a foam cover, and it
also
invites entanglement in a flying headphone cable or getting clipped by a
kamakazi
lunge with a copy book or tape cart.

I like the sound of the RE2000 a lot, especially for voice work. The fact
that it has a
medium-sized capsule--the industry convention is that diaphragms one inch or
larger be considered "large"--means that it is not quite as sensitive as
larger
diaphragms to very low frequencies. It also means that the RE2000 is not as
susceptible to proximity effect, the phenomenon of increased bass response
the
closer the sound source gets to the mic. This makes the RE2000 a
"plug-and-play"
device for most voice work. Provided the room acoustics aren't horrible, you
can
vary the low end response by how closely you work the mic.

If you like the EV's dynamic champion, the RE20, for its "woofy" low end,
you'll
probably like the RE2000, but be prepared for a difference. I always sound
like I
have a head cold when I use an RE20. For me, it's too "woofy". The RE2000
sounds
solid and remarkably detailed in the upper bass and lower midrange areas,
while
never sounding harsh. I also detected a slight bump in the 2-3KHz range,
which
further peaks the voice frequencies.

To further explain the sound of the RE2000. We tried to make it sound as much
as
possible like a transformerless AKG 414. Finally, after some tweeking, 4dB
was
added at 50Hz, 2dB at 75Hz and 4dB was taken off at 3KHz. Engineer/Producer
Lou Mills of Flite Three here in Baltimore had several other valid
comparative
observations. For him, on a spectrum between the U87 and the 414, the RE2000
sits
2/3 the way towards the U87. He also felt the RE2000 has the edge of a
Neumann
U47, but not the higher frequencies of an AKG 414

IN CONCLUSION
I like the RE2000 a lot for its sound and high output level. The RE2000 is a
brave
move for a company whose reputation is based on dynamic rather than condenser

microphones. With the single-pattern condenser mic market slipping below the
$1,000 list price point over the last few years, it will be quite a victory
for EV if they
can recalibrate the market with the RE2000.

www.tyford.com

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Ty Ford wrote:

I don't know when I wrote the EV RE2000 condenser mic review, but I think it
was more than ten years ago...

I think that was actually the first condenser EV ever made, and they had been
in business for sixty or seventy years when it came out. So all things
considered, I'd call that pretty recent.

I didn't like it at all, by the way. Way too bright for me.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
AT AT is offline

they did have a couple of crummy electret condensers.

i believe something like model 1776 or something like that,a loong time ago.

best

at

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Ty Ford wrote:
I don't know when I wrote the EV RE2000 condenser mic review, but I think it
was more than ten years ago...

I think that was actually the first condenser EV ever made, and they had been
in business for sixty or seventy years when it came out. So all things
considered, I'd call that pretty recent.

I didn't like it at all, by the way. Way too bright for me.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

AT wrote:
they did have a couple of crummy electret condensers.
i believe something like model 1776 or something like that,a loong time ago.

Ahh, yes! Those were actually not made by EV, but they did resell them.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Fraser Scott Fraser is offline

i believe something like model 1776 or something like that,a loong
time ago.

Ah yes, a mic best forgotten. It came out in 1976 & was marketed as a
kind of bicentennial thing IIRC. Kinda worked OK as a paperweight, but
usually wasn't my first choice for a doorstop.

Scott Fraser

Posted to rec.audio.pro
AT AT is offline

it had a definite sound useful for a specific conga sound in certain
situations.

after a while, it became very noisy and unusable.

i guess the electret charge started to drop.

best
at

Scott Fraser wrote:
i believe something like model 1776 or something like that,a loong
time ago.

Ah yes, a mic best forgotten. It came out in 1976 & was marketed as a
kind of bicentennial thing IIRC. Kinda worked OK as a paperweight, but
usually wasn't my first choice for a doorstop.

Scott Fraser

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

JP Gerard wrote:

What is an MS?

Mid Side recording. Look it up in your fav recording technique book.

Or find it in the RAP FAQ, accessible at:

http://www.recaudiopro.net

--
ha

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 20:20:44 -0500, AT wrote
(in article ):

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Ty Ford wrote:
I don't know when I wrote the EV RE2000 condenser mic review, but I think
it
was more than ten years ago...

I think that was actually the first condenser EV ever made, and they had
been
in business for sixty or seventy years when it came out. So all things
considered, I'd call that pretty recent.

I didn't like it at all, by the way. Way too bright for me.
--scott

AT

Thanks for the reminder. I still have two EV 1751 electret cardioids bought
in probably 1973. We used them on the air (in stereo, woo woo!) at WHFS in
Bethesda MD. I bought another pair for my home studio. Not bad actually.

Last time I plugged them in, they were really noisy.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 22:42:06 -0500, Scott Fraser wrote
(in article .com):

i believe something like model 1776 or something like that,a loong
time ago.

Ah yes, a mic best forgotten. It came out in 1976 & was marketed as a
kind of bicentennial thing IIRC. Kinda worked OK as a paperweight, but
usually wasn't my first choice for a doorstop.

Scott Fraser

I feel very sad about EV. They sort of got lost in the acquisition shuffle
with mark IV. I think there were some really good audio people there who just
got stuffed in a closet.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Richard is offline

"hank alrich" wrote in message
. ..
JP Gerard wrote:

What is an MS?

Mid Side recording. Look it up in your fav recording technique book.

Or find it in the RAP FAQ, accessible at:

http://www.recaudiopro.net

--
ha

I would, if I were into rap music.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Ty Ford wrote:

I feel very sad about EV. They sort of got lost in the acquisition shuffle
with mark IV. I think there were some really good audio people there who just
got stuffed in a closet.

I feel sad for their customers. Tried to get an RE-20 fixed recently?
It's not like it was a couple years ago.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] 0junk4me@bellsouth.net is offline

On 2006-11-30 said:
What is an MS?
Mid Side recording. Look it up in your fav recording technique

book.
Or find it in the RAP FAQ, accessible at:
http://www.recaudiopro.net
I would, if I were into rap music.

ARe you really this dense? rap in this case stands for
rec.audio.pro, the same place you come to be spoon fed
information you're too lazy to look up or learn about.

IF this was intended as humor, it was lost on me.
ASk an elementary question, get pointed to the answer then
make a stupid comment about how you're not going to look it
up but expect it to be rehashed here once again ad
infinitum.

Richard webb,
Electric Spider Productions
Replace anything before the @ symbol with elspider for real
email address.

Amazing how much tape is on a 10" reel when it's not.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Michael Wozniak Michael  Wozniak is offline

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Ty Ford wrote:

I don't know when I wrote the EV RE2000 condenser mic review, but I think
it
was more than ten years ago...

I think that was actually the first condenser EV ever made, and they had
been
in business for sixty or seventy years when it came out. So all things
considered, I'd call that pretty recent.

I didn't like it at all, by the way. Way too bright for me.

I seem to remember a live/PA E/V condenser a friend had in the early 80's. I
want to say PL98 but I'm not sure. It had a thin body - about an inch, then
a gel-tab shaped capsule housing about 2" dia. by about 3"long.
Stage-dark-grey color, lots of hi-end, even thru a so-so PA. I'd never heard
any dynamic sound like that. IIRC, it sounded a bit like a Shure 87. I also
have in front of me a body only for an E/V condenser system. 3/4" diameter
by 3" long - model CO90 with dime-size battery diagram. It's internally
threaded at one end - approx. 3/4"/32 thread Anyone know what elements would
mate with it?

Mikey Wozniak
Nova Music Productions
This sig is haiku

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Michael Wozniak wrote:
I seem to remember a live/PA E/V condenser a friend had in the early 80's. I
want to say PL98 but I'm not sure. It had a thin body - about an inch, then
a gel-tab shaped capsule housing about 2" dia. by about 3"long.
Stage-dark-grey color, lots of hi-end, even thru a so-so PA. I'd never heard
any dynamic sound like that. IIRC, it sounded a bit like a Shure 87. I also
have in front of me a body only for an E/V condenser system. 3/4" diameter
by 3" long - model CO90 with dime-size battery diagram. It's internally
threaded at one end - approx. 3/4"/32 thread Anyone know what elements would
mate with it?

I think all of these mikes were made by Primo, which also made some
similar or identical mikes for Teac, Nakamichi, TOA and Crown.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Richard is offline

On 2006-11-30 said:
What is an MS?
Mid Side recording. Look it up in your fav recording technique

book.
Or find it in the RAP FAQ, accessible at:
http://www.recaudiopro.net
I would, if I were into rap music.

ARe you really this dense? rap in this case stands for
rec.audio.pro, the same place you come to be spoon fed
information you're too lazy to look up or learn about.

IF this was intended as humor, it was lost on me.
ASk an elementary question, get pointed to the answer then
make a stupid comment about how you're not going to look it
up but expect it to be rehashed here once again ad
infinitum.

Richard webb,
Electric Spider Productions
Replace anything before the @ symbol with elspider for real
email address.

Amazing how much tape is on a 10" reel when it's not.

Please accept my apology. I do not take for granted the helpfullness I
receive here from people more experienced in this area of discipline such as
yourself. I am not familiar with acronyms, and consider the index for that
website for the faq was brief and listed RAP MUSIC as one of the two or
three web pages in that index.

I urge you to not make hasty judgements about people you don't know really
know/much about. I am also guilty of not being as thorough as a should, at
least not yet, as I make great haste through these threads due to a very
time- limited schedule.

Rick

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Richard is offline

"Richard" wrote in message

On 2006-11-30 said:
What is an MS?
[...]

By the way, rap music sucks.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Richard wrote:

"hank alrich" wrote...
JP Gerard wrote:

What is an MS?

Mid Side recording. Look it up in your fav recording technique book.

Or find it in the RAP FAQ, accessible at:

http://www.recaudiopro.net

--
ha

I would, if I were into rap music.

In this case RAP stands for rec.audio.pro. Maybe you're interested after
all.

--
ha