Posted to rec.audio.pro
Julien Bernier Julien Bernier is offline

Default Book recommendations for mixing

What are your suggestions? I'd like to know the HAVE-TO read books, not
the so-so ones.
I don't care how many pages there is, but I'd like it to be fun to
read, and practical; not just theory lessons. Thanks for your continued
help.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Roy W. Rising Roy W. Rising is offline

"Julien Bernier" wrote:
What are your suggestions? I'd like to know the HAVE-TO read books, not
the so-so ones.
I don't care how many pages there is, but I'd like it to be fun to
read, and practical; not just theory lessons. Thanks for your continued
help.

More and more it seems I must write my book. My working title is "The Book
on Television Sound". I use that because ALL of the disciplines of sound
(mixing, production and more) come together at the same time in TV,
sometimes live on-the-air. If you can "cut it" there, everything else is a
walk in the park.

Here's the tentative Introduction:

"Working with sound really is very easy. It took me a few decades of
struggles to recognize how easy it is. Take your choice - read this book,
understand and apply what I suggest, OR spend a few decades struggling to
learn it yourself."

[If you'd like an idea of my approach, "Google" on "Roy W. Rising" (in
quotes) to find something I wrote for Video Systems Magazine.]

Anyone think I could sell it?

--
~ Roy
"If you notice the sound, it's wrong!"
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Roy W. Rising wrote:
"Julien Bernier" wrote:
[...]

Surely, but it all depends on the quality and the price.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Julien Bernier" wrote:
Roy W. Rising wrote:

More and more it seems I must write my book. My working title is "The
Book on Television Sound". I use that because ALL of the disciplines
of sound (mixing, production and more) come together at the same time
in TV, sometimes live on-the-air. If you can "cut it" there,
everything else is a walk in the park.

Anyone think I could sell it?

--
~ Roy

Surely, but it all depends on the quality and the price.

Thanks. The quality would be unassailable, and I would not accept
publication at an unreasonable tariff.

--
~ Roy
"If you notice the sound, it's wrong!"
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Roy W. Rising wrote:
"Julien Bernier" wrote:
Roy W. Rising wrote:

More and more it seems I must write my book. My working title is "The
Book on Television Sound". I use that because ALL of the disciplines
of sound (mixing, production and more) come together at the same time
in TV, sometimes live on-the-air. If you can "cut it" there,
everything else is a walk in the park.

Anyone think I could sell it?

--
~ Roy

Surely, but it all depends on the quality and the price.

Thanks. The quality would be unassailable, and I would not accept
publication at an unreasonable tariff.

--
~ Roy
"If you notice the sound, it's wrong!"

Well I'd be the first one to buy. I take recommendations too

Posted to rec.audio.pro
-zero -zero is offline

"Julien Bernier" wrote in message
ps.com...
What are your suggestions? I'd like to know the HAVE-TO read books, not
the so-so ones.
I don't care how many pages there is, but I'd like it to be fun to
read, and practical; not just theory lessons. Thanks for your continued
help.

Julien,

This is a very good book;

http://www.amazon.com/Musicians-Guid...e=UTF8&s=books

....and the short link.
http://tinyurl.com/mjknb

It's a solid starting point with emphasis on making sure you understand
each section before moving on. This should be required reading for anybody
entering the recording realm. The fundamentals are covered very well.

After completing and digesting the book you'll be ready for any of the
fine selection from Bobby Owsinski;

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...000049-1281646

....short link;
http://tinyurl.com/ooonw

-zero

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Julien Bernier wrote:
What are your suggestions? I'd like to know the HAVE-TO read books, not
the so-so ones.

You want the Kama Sutra (a book that teaches sexual performance, if you
don't know) of mixing,. Mixing is kind of like sex - there are lots of
preferences and lots of things that are considered good, and relatively
few that are considered bad. But a book will only tell you what's
possible. You have to develop your technique with practice.

The Mixing Engineer's Handbood by Bobby Owsinski is probalby a good one
to have. He explains what the knobs do, and then has a wealth of
examples of what Famous Mixing Engineers have done in interesting
situations.

The Mackie Compact Mixer Reference Guide will tell you in great detail
what's under the hood (functoinally, not ohms and microfarads) and how
to interface things to a mixer for various purposes.
http://mackie.com/support/compactmixer/index.html

Depending on whether you're looking at mixing for live sound or in the
studio, the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook might also be useful.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
david correia david correia is offline

In article ,
Roy W. Rising wrote:

"Working with sound really is very easy. It took me a few decades of
struggles to recognize how easy it is.

Very well put!

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com