Posted to rec.audio.pro
Albert Albert is offline

Default AIFF/Windows??

I have a project involving digitizing a large amount of important
historical archival material from cassette and reel. I use a Mac and
generally use aiff or SDII file formats. For long term archiving, not
knowing what platform someone will use years from now, will these
formats be as useful as .wav files? Do today's Windows users have any
problem with these Mac formats?

I can convert everything to WAV when I'm done, but if it's not
neccesary, I'd just as soon not.

thanks,

Albert

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Raw-Tracks Raw-Tracks is offline
Senior Member

Albert wrote:
I have a project involving digitizing a large amount of important
historical archival material from cassette and reel. I use a Mac and
generally use aiff or SDII file formats. For long term archiving, not
knowing what platform someone will use years from now, will these
formats be as useful as .wav files? Do today's Windows users have any
problem with these Mac formats?

SDII is pretty much dead. AIFF can be imported into my Windows ProTools
system. In general, I think WAV is the way to go. Can you just create
your files in WAV originally?

--
Eric

Practice Your Mixing Skills
Download Our Multi-Track Masters
www.Raw-Tracks.com
www.Mad-Host.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Norbert Hahn Norbert Hahn is offline

"Albert" wrote:

I have a project involving digitizing a large amount of important
historical archival material from cassette and reel. I use a Mac and
generally use aiff or SDII file formats. For long term archiving, not
knowing what platform someone will use years from now, will these
formats be as useful as .wav files? Do today's Windows users have any
problem with these Mac formats?

A large number of Windows program support AIFF files. I use a hard disk
recorder and always get AIFF files from that machine. To edit those
files I use Adobe Audition and it lets me save them as AIFF or WAV.
The main difference is that WAV files conserve documentation that
Audition allows me to add to the file.
Documentation is lost when saving in AIFF format so I assume I need an
extra file for non-audio information when using AIFF.

For a long term consideration: Comparing AIFF with WAV, the audio
information is identical, bit for bit - except that the byte order
is different. Unless you don't need some extra features of WAV you
may use AIFF as well.

Norbert

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Lorin David Schultz Lorin David Schultz is offline

Albert wrote:

I have a project involving digitizing a large amount of important
historical archival material from cassette and reel. I use a Mac and
generally use aiff or SDII file formats. For long term archiving,
not knowing what platform someone will use years from now, will
these formats be as useful as .wav files? Do today's Windows users
have any problem with these Mac formats?

Do NOT use SDII. Windows users won't be able to open them.

AIFF is probably fine. The Windows version of iTunes will play them.
The question though is why you would choose not to use the most widely
supported format available? WAV is the de facto "standard" for audio
files, so why bother with anything else?

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
david correia david correia is offline

In article zfuVg.12539$N4.2320@clgrps12,
"Lorin David Schultz" wrote:

Albert wrote:

I have a project involving digitizing a large amount of important
historical archival material from cassette and reel. I use a Mac and
generally use aiff or SDII file formats. For long term archiving,
not knowing what platform someone will use years from now, will
these formats be as useful as .wav files? Do today's Windows users
have any problem with these Mac formats?

Do NOT use SDII. Windows users won't be able to open them.

AIFF is probably fine. The Windows version of iTunes will play them.
The question though is why you would choose not to use the most widely
supported format available? WAV is the de facto "standard" for audio
files, so why bother with anything else?

Sessions done at my place that are gonna travel elsewhere are 95% of the
time asked to be AIFF files, whether they are traveling to a Hollywood
or Boston video house for network TV or to another audio facility.

Everything we do staying in house is AIFF.

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

"Lorin David Schultz" wrote:

Albert wrote:

[...]

Compressed or full size?

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

david correia wrote:

Sessions done at my place that are gonna travel elsewhere are 95%
of the time asked to be AIFF files, whether they are traveling to a
Hollywood or Boston video house for network TV or to another audio
facility.

Yeah, I encounter a lot of people who are afraid of change too. Once
they realize that wav files won't eat their Mac, they eventually warm up
to the advantages (trivial as they may be).

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve King Steve King is offline

"Lorin David Schultz" wrote in message
david correia wrote:

Sessions done at my place that are gonna travel elsewhere are 95%
of the time asked to be AIFF files, whether they are traveling to a
Hollywood or Boston video house for network TV or to another audio
facility.

Yeah, I encounter a lot of people who are afraid of change too. Once they
realize that wav files won't eat their Mac, they eventually warm up to the
advantages (trivial as they may be).

My clients must be on the leading edge, then. Once in awhile someone is
very specific about getting AIFF. Most of the time I'm sending my stuff to
smaller production houses using FCP, AVID Express, or Pro Tools, which seem
to use the WAVE files as easily as AIFF. I have a Comcast High Speed Cable
connection, so I send the uncompressed files most of the time. Uploads take
some time. On the client's end the downloads go very fast.

Steve King

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Kurt Albershardt Kurt Albershardt is offline

Norbert Hahn wrote:

For a long term consideration: Comparing AIFF with WAV, the audio
information is identical, bit for bit - except that the byte order
is different. Unless you don't need some extra features of WAV you
may use AIFF as well.

FYI, WAV and AIFF are both implementations of RIFF
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAV
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIFF

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Kurt Albershardt wrote:

Norbert Hahn wrote:

For a long term consideration: Comparing AIFF with WAV, the audio
information is identical, bit for bit - except that the byte order
is different. Unless you don't need some extra features of WAV you
may use AIFF as well.

FYI, WAV and AIFF are both implementations of RIFF
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAV
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIFF

Thank you for pointing to Wikipedia. There is a section about AIFF as
well. More about long term storage as AIFF can be found at
http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/f...dd000005.shtml

Norbert

Posted to rec.audio.pro
david correia david correia is offline

"Lorin David Schultz" wrote:

Albert wrote:

[...]

The audio for video is always 48k 24 bit, as is our typical in house
recording session. The stuff travelling to other audio studios is
usually the same, although I have had people ask for 44.1k 24 bit and
96k 24 bit. No one has ever asked for 192K 24 bit yet.

I never do any data compression of audio files, except for making an mp3
and emailing it as a preview file, while FedEx brings the real data
overnight.

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
david correia david correia is offline

In article 2tMVg.13016$N4.4254@clgrps12,
"Lorin David Schultz" wrote:

david correia wrote:

Sessions done at my place that are gonna travel elsewhere are 95%
of the time asked to be AIFF files, whether they are traveling to a
Hollywood or Boston video house for network TV or to another audio
facility.

Yeah, I encounter a lot of people who are afraid of change too. Once
they realize that wav files won't eat their Mac, they eventually warm up
to the advantages (trivial as they may be).

I have no idea what you're talking about "afraid of change". We send
stuff to some pretty big names and they specify AIFF.

Nor do I expect this to change anytime soon.

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

david correia wrote:

I have no idea what you're talking about "afraid of change". We
send stuff to some pretty big names and they specify AIFF.

It was tongue-in-cheek. I should have included a little smiley or
something.

Being serious for a moment though, our clients really don't seem to care
anymore. "Yeah, wav, aif, whatever... it's all good."

I usually wind up sending broadcast wave, just because it includes the
time-stamp.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Norbert Hahn wrote:
Kurt Albershardt wrote:

FYI, WAV and AIFF are both implementations of RIFF
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAV
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIFF

Thank you for pointing to Wikipedia. There is a section about AIFF as
well. More about long term storage as AIFF can be found at
http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/f...dd000005.shtml

On which I noticed:
LC preference General preference for recorded sound is WAVE_LCPM.
http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/formats/fdd/fdd000002.shtml