Posted to rec.audio.pro
Hal Hal is offline

Default Rewire help

I am having trouble getting ReWire to record in Pro Tools. I have tried an
Audio track in PT with Reason as an insert. I can hear the Reason synth I
have selected and see the track meters move. However, when I record-enable
that track, I can still hear the synth but the meters stop moving and it
doesn't record the signal.
g4 dual 1.25, 1.25g ram, OS X Panther,PT 6.4.
Thanks

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] oleyar@gmail.com is offline

Hal wrote:
I am having trouble getting ReWire to record in Pro Tools. I have tried an
Audio track in PT with Reason as an insert. I can hear the Reason synth I
have selected and see the track meters move. However, when I record-enable
that track, I can still hear the synth but the meters stop moving and it
doesn't record the signal.
g4 dual 1.25, 1.25g ram, OS X Panther,PT 6.4.
Thanks

hi,

i'm not a PT guy, but i think what you need to do is set
the track 'input' to come from rewire, not just set as an insert.
in the same way you would select a signal to come from
your interface, say mbox left or right channel, s/pdif left or right,
you have to have the selection made from the rewire interface
output to the input of the track you want to record onto. if rewire
is seeing the host correctly, you'll have a list of input possibilites.
putting it in an insert will only work on an aux track for monitoring.

try this and lemme know what happens. i'm into DP and i need to learn
PT a little better:

open a mixer window and take rewire off the insert of your audio track.
then in the little selection box in the middle of the fader strip,
select
the input to come from rewire. then record as you have been.

hope this works for you,
gary0

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sete Cordas Sete Cordas is offline

On 2006-10-03 20:39:02 -0700, "Hal" said:

I am having trouble getting ReWire to record in Pro Tools. I have tried an
Audio track in PT with Reason as an insert. I can hear the Reason synth I
have selected and see the track meters move. However, when I record-enable
that track, I can still hear the synth but the meters stop moving and it
doesn't record the signal.

I was having the same problems, but fixed it in PT 6 by following this method:

1. Instantiate the Reason plug as an insert in an Aux track, not an
Audio Track.
2. Leave the output of the Aux track you just created in step 1 going
to your main speakers
(usually "Analog 1-2").
3. Create a send on the Aux track to an unused bus pair (usually "Bus 1-2").
4. Create a stereo audio track and have the input be the bus pair you
created in step 3.
5. Enable the audio track you just created for recording.

This takes care of monitoring while play and record is not engaged. The
PT Reference Guide
contains the rest of the details.

Cheers,
--
7

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2006-10-04 09:25:35 -0700, Sete Cordas said:

1. Instantiate the Reason plug as an insert in an Aux track, not an
Audio Track.
2. Leave the output of the Aux track you just created in step 1 going
to your main speakers
(usually "Analog 1-2").
3. Create a send on the Aux track to an unused bus pair (usually "Bus 1-2").
4. Create a stereo audio track and have the input be the bus pair you
created in step 3.
5. Enable the audio track you just created for recording.

This takes care of monitoring while play and record is not engaged. The
PT Reference Guide
contains the rest of the details.

Ick, I know it's bad form to reply to one's own message, but Unison
doesn't allow supersedes.

I forgot to advise you to check for the bus levels on step 3. PT
creates sends with the faders
set to minus-infinity, so when you create the bus assignment,
option-click on the send level
fader that pops up to set it to unity.

Also, make sure you read up on "Auto Input Monitoring" and "Input Only
Monitoring" in the
Reference Guide.

Best,
--
7

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Hal Hal is offline

Very cool, guys. Now if I can just duplicate what i just did...
Thanks

BTW, whenever I stop the song the little red marker (at the top of the ruler
that you can set to have it start at that point each time) moves to where I
stop the song. It doesn't let me set a point and leave it. It worked once
but I've hit a button somewere. I've change the "Link Edit and Timeline
Selection" back and forth but it doen't fix the problem. Any ideas?
I'm running 6.4 on a g4 dual + Panther.

"Sete Cordas"

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Hal Hal is offline

OK, here's my 20 questions. I see that when you do this(create the aux
track, etc,) with
midi (in order to quantize in LE), still in Rewire using Reason as the
source, it records the notes/events, but not the actual samples. So you have
to have Reason open and set up each time to hear the samples? Must be
something I'm missing. Do you have to convert the midi track to an audio
track to get the actual samples "to tape"?