Posted to rec.audio.pro
adam adam is offline

Default external hard drive w/ windows and mac partitions

hey. i have an external hard drive i'm planning on using with my mac
and pro tools. I just got the mac/protools setup recently, so i have a
bunch (50 GB) of .wav and song files i recorded with n-track.. now to t
he question.. on windows, using it's disk management utility, i created
a NTFS partition; i left the rest of the disk "unallocated." i haven't
tried yet, but would i be able to use the unallocated space on the
drive and create a couple mac partions to use with protools? I don't
plan on trying to use the windows partition with the mac and vise
versa. like i said previously, as of now i have one partion i made on
the windows machine. when i plugged the hard drive into my macbook, the
windows partion showed up.. is there a way i could make another two
partions on the mac end of things without having to wipe out the
windows partion i already made? has anyone done this before? thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JohnO JohnO is offline

adam wrote:
[...]

You can use a FAT32 partition and both platforms will be able to access
it just fine. Or, just make the Mac partition FAT32 and leave the NTFS
for Windows, it really doesn't matter.

-John O

Posted to rec.audio.pro
adam adam is offline

hey john, when i connected the hard drive to my mac, with just the one
ntfs partion i made on the windows machine, it came up like it would as
if i partioned it on the mac. will it work, just as well, recording the
wav tracks from protools on a ntfs partition made on the windows side?
thanks, adam.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Lorin David Schultz Lorin David Schultz is offline

adam wrote:

hey john, when i connected the hard drive to my mac, with just the
one ntfs partion i made on the windows machine, it came up like it
would as if i partioned it on the mac. will it work, just as well,
recording the wav tracks from protools on a ntfs partition made on
the windows side? thanks, adam.

You've got the drive right there! Plug it in and try it! Then YOU tell
US if it works.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JohnO JohnO is offline

adam wrote:
hey john, when i connected the hard drive to my mac, with just the one
ntfs partion i made on the windows machine, it came up like it would as
if i partioned it on the mac. will it work, just as well, recording the
wav tracks from protools on a ntfs partition made on the windows side?
thanks, adam.

Your Mac might be able to write to the ntfs partition, I don't know
about that for sure. However, if you're asking about performance,
you'll have to go to a Mac group somewhere and ask some Mac gurus.

-John O

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve King Steve King is offline

"Lorin David Schultz" wrote in message
adam wrote:

hey john, when i connected the hard drive to my mac, with just the
one ntfs partion i made on the windows machine, it came up like it
would as if i partioned it on the mac. will it work, just as well,
recording the wav tracks from protools on a ntfs partition made on
the windows side? thanks, adam.

You've got the drive right there! Plug it in and try it! Then YOU tell
US if it works.

I recently took a PC formatted NTFS drive to my video editor who runs a G5 &
FCP. He couldn't see the drive at all. Next time I'll take a FAT32. What
I'd like to be able to do is mark ins and outs for original footage, do a
batch capture, then take the clips to the editor and start working. So, I'm
interested in your tests. Keep us informed.

Steve King

Posted to rec.audio.pro

JohnO wrote:

adam wrote:
hey john, when i connected the hard drive to my mac, with just the one
ntfs partion i made on the windows machine, it came up like it would as
if i partioned it on the mac. will it work, just as well, recording the
wav tracks from protools on a ntfs partition made on the windows side?
thanks, adam.

Your Mac might be able to write to the ntfs partition, I don't know
about that for sure. However, if you're asking about performance,
you'll have to go to a Mac group somewhere and ask some Mac gurus.

I just searched around on the above site and never found an answer. There
are only so many possibilities, but I can't seem to find a definitive
answer. Oh well, on to more pressing issues.

Steve King

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Raw-Tracks Raw-Tracks is offline
Senior Member

JohnO wrote:

You can use a FAT32 partition and both platforms will be able to access
it just fine. Or, just make the Mac partition FAT32 and leave the NTFS
for Windows, it really doesn't matter.

I'm a windows guy, but I know I've taken a Fat32 formatted firewire
drive to the studios around here and transferred ProTools session to and
from the Mac. I have no idea what Mac OS I was on. That may make a
difference. I did not use my drive as a work drive though, only backup
and transfer to my home studio. I would assume it would work as a
session drive as well.

--
Eric

Practice Your Mixing Skills
Download Our Multi-Track Masters
www.Raw-Tracks.com
www.Mad-Host.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve King Steve King is offline

"Raw-Tracks" wrote in message
t...
JohnO wrote:

You can use a FAT32 partition and both platforms will be able to access
it just fine. Or, just make the Mac partition FAT32 and leave the NTFS
for Windows, it really doesn't matter.

I'm a windows guy, but I know I've taken a Fat32 formatted firewire drive
to the studios around here and transferred ProTools session to and from
the Mac. I have no idea what Mac OS I was on. That may make a difference.
I did not use my drive as a work drive though, only backup and transfer to
my home studio. I would assume it would work as a session drive as well.

--
Eric

Thanks. That's what I want to do, but with video files. I'd like to
digitize selected video clips onto an external drive on a PC, then take that
drive to my video editor's, where he could transfer the files to his FCP
system. Sounds like FAT32 is the ticket. I know that his MAC cannot read
NTFS formatted HD.

Steve

Posted to rec.audio.pro
david correia david correia is offline

In article ,
"Steve King" wrote:

Thanks. That's what I want to do, but with video files. I'd like to
digitize selected video clips onto an external drive on a PC, then take that
drive to my video editor's, where he could transfer the files to his FCP
system. Sounds like FAT32 is the ticket. I know that his MAC cannot read
NTFS formatted HD.

Steve

How about saving those files to an ISO 9660 formatted DVD-R? I'd think
that'd work just fine, as long as your video clips are standard stuff
and not something proprietary. I am assuming here that FCP can open
Windows Media files. You might first check and see. I'm an audio guy ;

On the Mac we use Roxio's Toast for data, and it let's you choose
between 4 formatting options: ISO 9660, Mac, Mac & PC, and something
called DVD-ROM (UDF) which I think is the new ISO 9660 - don't quote me
;. Check for ISO 9660 formatting on what you use for data burning in
Windows. That format is supposed to let your data be read by a Mac, PC
or Unix.

I know everything I have sent out to Windows users from my studio's Macs
on a formatted ISO 9660 disk - only audio files - has been trouble free.

If you try this out, let me know how it works. Best of luck!

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

david correia wrote:

How about saving those files to an ISO 9660 formatted DVD-R?

DVD-R is definitely an option. However, video files can get quite large.
I think the OP was talking about transferring 50gigs. That will take
some time to burn that all to DVD. A hard drive would be much quicker
and convenient, provided it is readable by the target system.

--
Eric

Practice Your Mixing Skills
Download Our Multi-Track Masters
www.Raw-Tracks.com
www.Mad-Host.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"david correia" wrote in message
"Steve King" wrote:

[...]

I'm sure that would work, but 4.7 Gigs is not very much space for DV-AVI
video files, a file format that is compatible with both PC and MAC editing
programs.

Steve King

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve King Steve King is offline

"Raw-Tracks" wrote in message
t...
david correia wrote:

How about saving those files to an ISO 9660 formatted DVD-R?

DVD-R is definitely an option. However, video files can get quite large. I
think the OP was talking about transferring 50gigs. That will take some
time to burn that all to DVD. A hard drive would be much quicker and
convenient, provided it is readable by the target system.

--
Eric

Right. Again, in an ideal world, I would capture files to an external hard
drive using my PC, then plug the HD into a MAC and begin editing, even
writing back to that "project" hard drive. With Intel MACs someday that may
be possible.

Steve King

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Steve King wrote:

"hank alrich" wrote...
JohnO wrote:

adam wrote:
hey john, when i connected the hard drive to my mac, with just the one
ntfs partion i made on the windows machine, it came up like it would as
if i partioned it on the mac. will it work, just as well, recording the
wav tracks from protools on a ntfs partition made on the windows side?
thanks, adam.

Your Mac might be able to write to the ntfs partition, I don't know
about that for sure. However, if you're asking about performance,
you'll have to go to a Mac group somewhere and ask some Mac gurus.

I just searched around on the above site and never found an answer. There
are only so many possibilities, but I can't seem to find a definitive
answer. Oh well, on to more pressing issues.

Searching the archives is only useful if you seek the answer to a
question that has already been asked. When you're being as creative as
you are, you'll have to actually post a note to the list to stir the
current experience pool.

Several folks who used to hang here still participate there, and the Mac
savvy is thick. I just subscribe to the digest version of the e-list and
read the tales that interest me.

--
ha
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JohnO JohnO is offline

I know everything I have sent out to Windows users from my studio's Macs
on a formatted ISO 9660 disk - only audio files - has been trouble free.

If you try this out, let me know how it works. Best of luck!

I'm sure that would work, but 4.7 Gigs is not very much space for DV-AVI
video files, a file format that is compatible with both PC and MAC editing
programs.

Steve...I was taking the brand new version of the A+ Certification exam
yesterday, and imagine my surprise when I saw a question asking about
this very situation. ...How can a Mac running OSX deal with an NTFS
external hard drive?

After a bit of research today, turns out that OSX can read-only NTFS
drives. If the NTFS drive uses compression, then it gets real wacky,
sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, according to users. Fat32 is
the way to go for complete interoperability between XP and OSX.

However, and this may be a deal breaker, FAT32 is limited to files no
larger than 4 GB.

-John O

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve King Steve King is offline

"JohnO" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Hmmm? Thanks for the info; however, my one experience did not work out that
way. I formatted a drive on a PC as NTFS. I captured a bunch of video
clips (as DV-AVI files). I took that drive to my video editor's studio,
where his G5 OSX could not see it. We tried a couple of IEEE1394 cables.
Plugged into both available 1394 ports. As you say, the 4 GB limit on FAT32
could be a problem. But, for my purposes, sincewhat I want to do is
transport shorter digitized clips rather than whole tapes, it may work just
fine. Thanks again. On our last project, I did an old-timey paper edit.
We plugged the numbers into his FCP capture and digitized away. Od course,
it was not nearly as fast as transferring files from one HD to another would
be. Maybe I need a MAC just to do capture? In the immortal words of
Snoopy, "ARRRRGGHHHH!"

Steve King

Posted to rec.audio.pro
adam adam is offline

That's what i ended up doing. I transfered all the files to the MacBook
and I'm in the proccess of backing them up on the dual layered DVD-Rs.
The DVD-R DLs acctually get read by my windows xp machine, so I have
all the files saved to a few DVD-R DLs and when i want to load them on
my windows machine i just pop in the DVD and drag the song files i need
on the windows hard drive. Thanks for all the feedback,
Cheers,
Adam

david correia wrote:
In article ,
"Steve King" wrote:

Thanks. That's what I want to do, but with video files. I'd like to
digitize selected video clips onto an external drive on a PC, then take that
drive to my video editor's, where he could transfer the files to his FCP
system. Sounds like FAT32 is the ticket. I know that his MAC cannot read
NTFS formatted HD.

Steve

How about saving those files to an ISO 9660 formatted DVD-R?
David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JohnO JohnO is offline

I took that drive to my video editor's studio,
where his G5 OSX could not see it.

I'm just guessing, but it could be related to the OSX version or
updates he's loaded or not loaded yet. There are three "major" versions
of OSX, and a bunch of versions in between, too. That is, assuming
you're not using compression or dynamic partitions.

-John O

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve King Steve King is offline

"JohnO" wrote in message
oups.com...

I took that drive to my video editor's studio,
where his G5 OSX could not see it.

I'm just guessing, but it could be related to the OSX version or
updates he's loaded or not loaded yet. There are three "major" versions
of OSX, and a bunch of versions in between, too. That is, assuming
you're not using compression or dynamic partitions.

-John O

I will check with him to see if that's the case. thanks.

Steve King