Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] pandorapayne@charter.net is offline

Default Does this sound like a symptom of poor off-axis response?

I have an ME64 that I've mostly used for mic'ing at closer distances of
2' to 6', and the mic has worked out okay for that.

But lately I've tried it as a mono room mic, in both a medium room
and a large room. I have noticed something unusual
upon listening back to the recordings, but I can't really
put my finger on it. Best I can describe it is it has a
vague hollow sound, which seems to vary, getting
quite light in effect and then coming on stronger, and
then down again. Seems to take away the clarity of
spoken word. Seem to notice it more with low
frequencies. The effect is kind of like when you have a bit of water
in your ears, that it affects the clarity of everything till the water
drains out. The effect I'm hearing seems like a pressure.

Like I said, it's hard to describe but from what I've put
forth here does this sound like classic poor
off-axis handling? I don't know what else it could be, otherwise.

Is there anything in the manufacturers specs which
helps to indicate how well a mic handles off-axis
frequencies?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On 30 Sep 2006 04:18:47 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Well, you're not alone. Here you can listen to the difference between
a Sennheiser mic from this series and a very old ribbon. Just me
talking briefly.

http://81.174.169.10/

No contest

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 07:18:47 -0400, wrote
(in article .com):

[...]

I'm guessing that your hearing is getting better. (Hopefully) that happens
over time. Your hearing more room (indirect sound) and less source (direct
sound).

Again, my mantra is, don't use interference tube shotguns for interiors, use
hyper or super cardioids.

What you're hearing is not poor off-axis response, it's off-axis response
period.

Any shotgun will do this. And if the environment is slappy enough and you're
far enough away from the source, a hyper or super will as well.

If you'd like to hear the difference and see why, go to my website, click on
the online archive open the VIDEO folder and download the Ty Ford Mic
Tutorial.mp4. Listen (and watch) with headphones on. My video explains the
whole thing and you can HEAR exactly what the problems (and solutions) are.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at
www.tyford.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Lorin David Schultz Lorin David Schultz is offline

Ty Ford wrote:

Again, my mantra is, don't use interference tube shotguns for
interiors, use hyper or super cardioids.

The 64 is cardioid. Besides, any directional mic is an interference
tube, isn't it?

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] pandorapayne@charter.net is offline

I'm wondering what is actually going on with the sound
waves when the interference tube mic's have that
hollow sound?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Lorin David Schultz wrote:
Ty Ford wrote:

Again, my mantra is, don't use interference tube shotguns for
interiors, use hyper or super cardioids.

The 64 is cardioid. Besides, any directional mic is an interference
tube, isn't it?

No. Most directional mikes get directionality by venting behind the
diaphragm. An interference tube system gets directionality with tuned
ports in front of the diaphragm.

SOME systems, like the new Schoeps "shotgun" use both.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
I'm wondering what is actually going on with the sound
waves when the interference tube mic's have that
hollow sound?

It's comb filtering. Look at the narrowband response of an interference
tube mike. Or read Sank's original paper on the things, which is probably
in the AES Microphone Compendium.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 17:59:31 -0400, Lorin David Schultz wrote
(in article 7NBTg.4963$N4.3788@clgrps12):

Ty Ford wrote:

Again, my mantra is, don't use interference tube shotguns for
interiors, use hyper or super cardioids.

The 64 is cardioid. Besides, any directional mic is an interference
tube, isn't it?

if you want to define interference tube that way, go ahead. I don't.

Regards,
Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] pandorapayne@charter.net is offline

It's comb filtering. Look at the narrowband response of an interference
tube mike. Or read Sank's original paper on the things, which is probably
in the AES Microphone Compendium.

Could it be comb filtering going on with the ME64 that
caused the hollow sound I heard?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
It's comb filtering. Look at the narrowband response of an interference
tube mike. Or read Sank's original paper on the things, which is probably
in the AES Microphone Compendium.

Could it be comb filtering going on with the ME64 that
caused the hollow sound I heard?

Maybe. The ME64 is a lousy-sounding mike. But it might also be reproducing
a lousy-sounding room too. Comb filtering due to standing waves in a room is
very common also.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] pandorapayne@charter.net is offline

the fact that interference tube mics are mics non-directional at mid and low freqs.

Is it the same with hypers, that they are only directional at
mid and low?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] pandorapayne@charter.net is offline

the fact that interference tube mics are non-directional at mid and low freqs.

Is it the same with hypers, that they are not directional at mids and
lows?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote:

No. Most directional mikes get directionality by venting behind
the diaphragm. An interference tube system gets directionality
with tuned ports in front of the diaphragm.

Really? The capsule of my ME80 isn't at the end of the mic? I always
figgered all them little slots *were* vents to the back of the capsule.

I don't learn something new EVERY day, but I did today! Thanks Scott!

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Ty Ford wrote:

if you want to define interference tube that way, go ahead. I
don't.

Naw, turns out I was just wrong. That happens a lot.

I has been korrected.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] pandorapayne@charter.net is offline

Comb filtering due to standing waves in a room is
very common also.

Thanks, Scott.

What properties can I look for in a mono mic model that will
better handle comb filtering of standing waves, so as to
avoid the hollow sound?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Mon, 2 Oct 2006 05:37:08 -0400, Lorin David Schultz wrote
(in article 855Ug.49663$cz3.4037@edtnps82):

Scott Dorsey wrote:

No. Most directional mikes get directionality by venting behind
the diaphragm. An interference tube system gets directionality
with tuned ports in front of the diaphragm.

Really? The capsule of my ME80 isn't at the end of the mic? I always
figgered all them little slots *were* vents to the back of the capsule.

I don't learn something new EVERY day, but I did today! Thanks Scott!

Lorin,

The only shotguns I know about that don't have the element at the bottom of
the tube are Pearls and the Sanken CS-3.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
the fact that interference tube mics are non-directional at mid and low freqs.

Is it the same with hypers, that they are not directional at mids and
lows?

Look at the data sheet. The lowest frequency at which it retains
directionality depends a lot on the capsule design. But everything is
an omni when you get low enough.

You really might want to read a good introduction to microphones, like the
Focal Press book.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

What properties can I look for in a mono mic model that will
better handle comb filtering of standing waves, so as to
avoid the hollow sound?

If it's a room problem, there is nothing you can do to the mike to reduce it,
other than to use a more directional mike to get less room sound.

This is why there is a difference between $20/hr. studios and $200/hr studios.
It's the room.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] pandorapayne@charter.net is offline

The only shotguns I know about that don't have the element at the bottom of
the tube are Pearls and the Sanken CS-3.

Does this mean that the CS-3 and the Pearls would be better
for indoor usage, getting less of the indoor hollow sound, than other
shotguns?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] pandorapayne@charter.net is offline

I just read a user experience on another forum that the
CS-3 is much better than the 416 and Schoeps shotgun
at pulling usable dialog in difficult indoor situations where
there is a lot of ambiant garbage.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
I just read a user experience on another forum that the
CS-3 is much better than the 416 and Schoeps shotgun
at pulling usable dialog in difficult indoor situations where
there is a lot of ambiant garbage.

Damn near anything will work better than a typical shotgun at getting
usable dialogue in indoor situations with a lot of ambient noise. It
is NOT the right tool for the job and it is probably the worst possible
tool for the job. Shotguns indoors are really a terrible mistake.

Just for Ludovic Audio Opinions 64 November 19th 05 04:17 PM
Note to Trevor Audio Opinions 9 November 7th 05 08:45 AM
enhancing early reflections? [email protected] Pro Audio 4 April 28th 05 05:51 PM
Creating Dimension In Mixing- PDF available on Request (112 pages0 kevindoylemusic Pro Audio 14 February 14th 05 05:58 PM