Posted to rec.audio.pro
darrelldklein darrelldklein is offline

Default Suggestions on how to repair a surround on a NOS 15" CTS woofer

I just purchased a CTS 15" woofer ( manufactured in 1961) on eBay that
had never been installed. However, it had been stored face down, with a
piece of rubber hose that was laying under it for an unknown number of
years. The end of the rubber hose dented and slightly tore the
(rubberized? - glossy anyway) paper surround.

What should I try to use? Silicone RTV? PVA? Rubber cement? Elmers
white glue? I have seen them all recommended.

This was intended to be used to go into a single (tweed, of course) cab
along with another single 15" CTS (also tweed) cab powered by a PV
Classic 50 (toob, of course) head for a retro bass rig for recording,
mostly.

Thanks to all who can help.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
darrelldklein darrelldklein is offline

I should clarify that the dent/tear is only on one place on the
surround and is about 1/2 inch long.This is not a hole: the edges of
the tear touch.

darrelldklein wrote:
I just purchased a CTS 15" woofer ( manufactured in 1961) on eBay that
had never been installed. However, it had been stored face down, with a
piece of rubber hose that was laying under it for an unknown number of
years. The end of the rubber hose dented and slightly tore the
(rubberized? - glossy anyway) paper surround.

What should I try to use? Silicone RTV? PVA? Rubber cement? Elmers
white glue? I have seen them all recommended.

This was intended to be used to go into a single (tweed, of course) cab
along with another single 15" CTS (also tweed) cab powered by a PV
Classic 50 (toob, of course) head for a retro bass rig for recording,
mostly.

Thanks to all who can help.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

darrelldklein wrote:
I should clarify that the dent/tear is only on one place on the
surround and is about 1/2 inch long.This is not a hole: the edges of
the tear touch.

I'd try making a patch with contact cement first. Your goal is to have the
patch no stiffer than the untreated cone paper, so the cone moves uniformly
as much as possible.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
darrelldklein darrelldklein is offline

Default Question to Scott on repair of surround on a NOS 15" CTS woofer

Scott: I have another CTS 15" woofer with a bent frame and voice coil
rub: essentially worthless. I could cut a small patch out of that
speaker's surround for the patch. Would you suggest:

1) just applying contact cement to the two edges of the tear (that
still do touch);

2) use a small section (3-eighths to half-inch length and width) of the
surround from the dead speaker as a patch (the contour of this would
match how the speaker's surround was originally -- now is is a little
"dented);

3) use a cloth patch with contact cement.

Thanks

Scott Dorsey wrote:
darrelldklein wrote:
I should clarify that the dent/tear is only on one place on the
surround and is about 1/2 inch long.This is not a hole: the edges of
the tear touch.

I'd try making a patch with contact cement first. Your goal is to have the
patch no stiffer than the untreated cone paper, so the cone moves uniformly
as much as possible.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Deputy Dumbya Dawg Deputy Dumbya Dawg is offline

"darrelldklein" wrote in
message
oups.com...
: Scott: I have another CTS 15" woofer with a bent
frame and voice coil
: rub: essentially worthless. I could cut a small patch
out of that
: speaker's surround for the patch. Would you suggest:
:

Thinking a little I was wondering if this speaker with
the dented surround is in a sealed or ported enclosure?
Also is the poll piece vented?

These questions will answer my question as to if air
is blowing through your tear?

If the box is sealed air will pump through the little
tear and make lotsa whistling breathing sound. IF the
box is vented via port or poll piece it will not have
the pressure on the hole it will if sealed. So if
vented the rubber cement and cloth will do fine to keep
things together. If sealed you will need a more
airtight fix.

peace
Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro

darrelldklein wrote:
Scott: I have another CTS 15" woofer with a bent frame and voice coil
rub: essentially worthless. I could cut a small patch out of that
speaker's surround for the patch. Would you suggest:

1) just applying contact cement to the two edges of the tear (that
still do touch);

Try this first.

2) use a small section (3-eighths to half-inch length and width) of the
surround from the dead speaker as a patch (the contour of this would
match how the speaker's surround was originally -- now is is a little
"dented);

If you do this, the patch will be stiffer than the original cone, which is what you are
trying to avoid.

3) use a cloth patch with contact cement.

Try this if #1 doesn't hold.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
darrelldklein darrelldklein is offline

This project is to put two 15" CTS speakers (each about 40 years old)
into two tweed cabs (to be ordered from www.lopoline.com) to match a
tweed Peavey Classic 50 head. The bass cabs from lopoline are ported.
This is to be an alternative bass or guitar rig for my studio and just
maybe for small venue gigging.

The speaker is an NOS 15" CTS with no vent on the pole piece.

Deputy Dumbya Dawg wrote:
"darrelldklein" wrote in
message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Deputy Dumbya Dawg Deputy Dumbya Dawg is offline

"darrelldklein" wrote in
message
ps.com...
: This project is to put two 15" CTS speakers (each
about 40 years old)
: into two tweed cabs (to be ordered from
www.lopoline.com) to match a
: tweed Peavey Classic 50 head. The bass cabs from
lopoline are ported.
: This is to be an alternative bass or guitar rig for
my studio and just
: maybe for small venue gigging.
:
: The speaker is an NOS 15" CTS with no vent on the
pole piece.

Well you would not be the first guy to just stick some
drivers in a box without first analyzing the driver
parametrics and modeling them in the box with its
predetermined tuning. I see there are no dimensions for
the box volume or porting to be modeled and without
some measurements of the driver you are taking a crap
shoot technically, but that does not necessarily mean
you wont like the results.

Perhaps before you buy two you could try one, with the
good driver, and cut your losses if the end result is
less than you hoped for. IF that were the case, how to
fix the driver surround may not be important. You are
going to play guitar through these 15's? I have the
Delta Blues 15 and I like the way it sounds but it is
open back and according to PV has higher freq response
than the Classic 50 12's.

I think it measured it once and it has a very low Qts
( stiff cone) and very high VAS ( infinite baffle ) .

peace
Phil

woofer surround replacement TonyP Tech 0 April 29th 04 03:12 AM
Will surround repair affect speaker sound? Jonny Durango Tech 4 April 15th 04 03:54 AM
specific advice on surround repair MajBach1 Tech 7 February 4th 04 01:08 PM
specific advice on surround repair MajBach1 Audio Opinions 0 January 29th 04 12:30 AM
Whos doing Surround Sound Paul Pro Audio 10 October 14th 03 05:52 AM