Posted to rec.audio.opinion
[email protected] jmhiggins@gmail.com is offline

Default Wiring: As long a they're tearing down my ceiling...

The only -- really minor -- upside of my condo roof leak is that the
association is on the hook for replacing my living room ceiling. So I
figure this is the moment to run speaker cable from my TV/Stereo
cabinet over to my couch. Don't really care about surround sound, per
se, but I figure it'll mean I can keep the volume of the TV somewhat
lower if the speakers are on the side of the room I'm sitting on. That
will

Any tips? The living room is 19-feet-long with 8-foot ceilings. I
figure I should run two pairs of cable around 50 feet??? I know I need
special fire-rated cable, but is there something else I should think
about? And does anyone have a pointer to a good deal on the right kind
of cable?? (I'm not a fussy audiophile. To give you an idea of my
standards, I have a Rotel receiver, but just play music via CD in a DVD
player, or docking my Ipod to the stereo.)

I've never fished wires through walls, so don't really know how
difficult it will be to drop the cable vertically. There's a cable TV
outlet on each wall, so I figure I'll put some sort of terminal plate
that will handle both the coax and the speaker wire.

But I don't really know what the hell I'm doing so will welcome any
guidance and even tolerate some abuse.... Thanks!!!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article .com,
wrote:

[...]

If you have access to leftover construction spools of CAT5 wire, there
may be some folks here who could help you.

Seriously though, you should consult an electrician unless you're really
sure what's behind those walls.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...

The only -- really minor -- upside of my condo roof leak is that the
association is on the hook for replacing my living room ceiling. So I
figure this is the moment to run speaker cable from my TV/Stereo
cabinet over to my couch. Don't really care about surround sound, per
se, but I figure it'll mean I can keep the volume of the TV somewhat
lower if the speakers are on the side of the room I'm sitting on. That
will

Any tips?

Run every wire that you think you could ever want to have right now. Good
wire is relatively cheap, and running wire in open walls and ceilings is
relatively cheap and easy.

I just did a lot of construction on my house, and I wired every new room and
what old rooms I could with this stuff, running to a central location and
tied to the service entrance area of my house:

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...=314&sku=26869

I've adopted the habit of putting a receiver and a pair of speakers or the
equivalent in separates, and maybe a phone and a computer wherever I do
audio. This covers all those bases.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Arny Krueger wrote:
Run every wire that you think you could ever want to have right now. Good
wire is relatively cheap, and running wire in open walls and ceilings is
relatively cheap and easy.

I just did a lot of construction on my house, and I wired every new room and
what old rooms I could with this stuff, running to a central location and
tied to the service entrance area of my house:

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...=314&sku=26869

This is a great idea. Don't know that I'll have much use for optical
fiber, which is in wiring you link to, but I'll shop around for varios
bundles.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...

Arny Krueger wrote:
Run every wire that you think you could ever want to have right now. Good
wire is relatively cheap, and running wire in open walls and ceilings is
relatively cheap and easy.

I just did a lot of construction on my house, and I wired every new room
and
what old rooms I could with this stuff, running to a central location and
tied to the service entrance area of my house:

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...=314&sku=26869

This is a great idea. Don't know that I'll have much use for optical
fiber, which is in wiring you link to, but I'll shop around for varios
bundles.

This kind of cable is available in many permutations. I thought about
leaving out the fiber, but I realized that fiber is likely to be the only
one that would still be in use in 30 years. Or, we will be all-wireless and
cable will be moot. The incremental cost was reasonable.