Posted to rec.audio.pro
musicandsound musicandsound is offline

Default portable recording

hi folks... I wonder does anyone have an opinion to share on portable
devices such as M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96. I'm considering getting a
macbook pro and I'm looking at options for portable recording (piano,
street sounds, sfx etc). How would it compare to something like
M-audio's firewire portable recorder? any insight you might have would
be appreciated. thanks!

--
my blog- http://sonolum.com/blog

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"musicandsound" wrote ...
hi folks... I wonder does anyone have an opinion to share on portable
devices such as M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96.

Suggesting searching the Google Groups archive. The MT2496
has been discussed extensively in this forum since shortly before
it was available.

I'm considering getting a
macbook pro and I'm looking at options for portable recording (piano,
street sounds, sfx etc). How would it compare to something like
M-audio's firewire portable recorder? any insight you might have would
be appreciated. thanks!

What "M-audio firewire portable recorder" are you asking about?
If you are talking about one of their adapter boxes that plugs into
your laptop computer, you are comparing apples and bicycles.

There should be no substantial "quality" difference between a
portable recorder like the MT2496 and an audio interface box
for a computer. But the difference in convienence, size, function,
portability, etc. etc. are huge.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rory Rory is offline

You might find this site useful: http://www.transom.org/tools/

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Andy Andy is offline

On 21 Sep 2006 09:02:54 -0700, "musicandsound"
wrote:

hi folks... I wonder does anyone have an opinion to share on portable
devices such as M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96. I'm considering getting a
macbook pro and I'm looking at options for portable recording (piano,
street sounds, sfx etc). How would it compare to something like
M-audio's firewire portable recorder? any insight you might have would
be appreciated. thanks!

Marantz PMD 660 or 670
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"musicandsound" wrote in message
oups.com...

hi folks... I wonder does anyone have an opinion to share on portable
devices such as M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96.

A friend who is an experienced recordist played some of his recordings for
me last weekend. These were essentially bootlegs made at a musical festival,
made with the supplied microphone. The recordings seemed to be just fine
given the casual micing. His major complaint was minor - he didn't like the
boot time which was on the order of a medium-fast XP desktop.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
drummerdick drummerdick is offline

musicandsound wrote:
hi folks... I wonder does anyone have an opinion to share on portable
devices such as M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96. I'm considering getting a
macbook pro and I'm looking at options for portable recording (piano,
street sounds, sfx etc). How would it compare to something like
M-audio's firewire portable recorder? any insight you might have would
be appreciated. thanks!

--
my blog- http://sonolum.com/blog

Hi,
I just bought a Presonus Firepod. You can record 8 channels at once.
You don't need a sound board or a sound card. You can run mics, line,
or instruments directly into it. It works great. The only drawback is
the Cubase software that comes with it can only record 4 tracks at
once. I use a "special" version of Nuendo with it. Look on
swee****er.com for more info on this and other recorders. Swee****er is
great to deal with. I hope this helps.
Drummer Dick

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] gerrymcc@indigo.ie is offline

"musicandsound" wrote:

hi folks... I wonder does anyone have an opinion to share on portable
devices such as M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96. I'm considering getting a
macbook pro and I'm looking at options for portable recording (piano,
street sounds, sfx etc). How would it compare to something like
M-audio's firewire portable recorder? any insight you might have would
be appreciated. thanks!

--
my blog- http://sonolum.com/blog

I got an Edirol R09 last month, it seems quite clear, and incredibly
convenient. There's a review in the current Sound On Sound magazine.
I've got some (piano) recordings done with it at the site below. The
R09 was placed on the floor in front of the piano, I used the internal
mic. I think the Irish trad arranged for piano were all done with the
R09, except the Providence Reel, which is double-tracked mono. Some of
the Bach ones, and the Fats Waller, anything in stereo, all were the
R09.
gerry [http://homepage.eircom.net/~gerfmcc/audio.html]