Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Zogmorton Zogmorton is offline

Default turntable question: low cost/significant improvement

I have a 1980s-vintage Harman Kardon t-45 turntable with an Ortofon OM20
cartridge. It works well and sounds good--I might like to get some more
dynamic range out of the records, but basically I like it, and could
continue to use this without problem. But I am curious about advances in
turntable technology in the past 20+ years. So here's my question: at
what price level would I hear an unmistakable improvement in the sound
of my records by replacing the turntable? Would the low-end of new
"audiophile" turntables (bottom-of the-line Goldring or Music Hall,
etc.) be distinctly better than the good old HK, or should I save up for
something higher up the price ladder? Details of just what sorts of
improvements I'd expect, and recommendations of particular units will be
appreciated--as you know, it isn't very practical to audition a bunch of
turntables these days.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MD MD is offline

Zogmorton wrote:

[...]

Given that table - and this is not a crack - you won't have to spend
much. Most of the high end tables under $800 will be a huge leap as
will the bargain units under $500. Also there are many older used
brands you can find and tweak - in the same ranges - and you will do
better. If the cartridge isn't too old keep it. While the table/arm
can be noticeably improved for a small amount you will have to spend a
bunch more for huge jump in improvement over that cartridge. (If you
replace the stylus get the one for the OM-30. OM-10 through OM-30 use
the same cartridges - its the stylus that improves)
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article zogmo-FCF9B8.09475316092006@localhost,
Zogmorton wrote:

[...]

I don't know the sound of the HK, but I can tell you that in my opinion
and based on extensive recent listening, the lower end Goldring, Music
Hall, and Pro-ject tables are very good sounding units. I purchased a
slightly more expensive TT/arm/cartridge combo (about $1000) but beyond
that price point, one has to spend considerably more money to get better
LP sound.

Good luck with your purchase decision!

Old turntable question Richard Crowley Pro Audio 71 August 21st 06 09:42 AM
Old turntable question [email protected] Tech 75 August 21st 06 09:42 AM
More Direct Drive Turntable Myths Arny Krueger Audio Opinions 42 December 7th 05 04:26 PM
Turntable A/C Question tim glasgow Pro Audio 21 April 23rd 05 08:42 AM
Repost: Reason 2.0 on a Celeron 2GHz laptop. Scott Elliott Birch General 17 July 7th 03 11:20 PM