Posted to rec.audio.opinion
[email protected] whchuang@gmail.com is offline

Default Klipsch iFI (iPod speakers) vs. NAD L53 with B&W 300 series speakers

Dear all:

I'm in the market to look for a pair of hi-end iPod speakers. I usually
listen to classical music, 80's music, and jazz music (especially
female vocals)... Would Klipsch iFi be a good choice for this kind of
music listening? What other options do I have? I'm also thinking of
buying a NAD L53 DVD/CD Receiver plus a $200 pair of B&W speakers as an
alternative, which combo would probably have better sound quality??
Many thanks!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
dave weil dave weil is offline

On 15 Sep 2006 19:24:54 -0700, wrote:

Dear all:

I'm in the market to look for a pair of hi-end iPod speakers. I usually
listen to classical music, 80's music, and jazz music (especially
female vocals)... Would Klipsch iFi be a good choice for this kind of
music listening? What other options do I have? I'm also thinking of
buying a NAD L53 DVD/CD Receiver plus a $200 pair of B&W speakers as an
alternative, which combo would probably have better sound quality??
Many thanks!

Do you want simple two channel? If so, I highly recommend the
following:

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.proc...ce=nsa&n sa=1

This is not an endorsement of J&R, but just a listing of a product
that in its former incarnation under the AR brand, I had a lot of
experience with.

These are great portables. They are heavy though.

I used them back in the 80s and early 90s as a hotel room system with
portable CD player and the sound is astonishing for the size. Since
they are "monitor" shaped, they are quite adaptable in terms of
positioning. The wedge shape works well for aiming and the sound is
quite good for a speaker with a 5 in woofer. They have plenty of power
and really good bass projection. The wedge shape also allows them to
nestle into a small rectangular bag. In the old days, you could even
get clamped stands that had a ball and socket swivel attachment so
that you could raise them off a tabletop. I don't know if this
attachment is still available.

I also don't know how much they've been changed since Advent has been
producing them, so the best thing is to try to find a pair to
audition.

You occasionally see them on eBay as well.

Just remember that they are pretty heavy. If you can put up with that,
it's hard to find a pair of powered portables to top the sound. Punchy
with clarity, especially for a smaller room. Plus, you can get a 12 v
adaptor for the car for those times that you might want to have a
fairly loud portable speaker system for tailgating, picnicing, etc.