Posted to rec.audio.pro
Erik spirit Erik spirit is offline

Default Unknown speakers

Hi guys,

I just bought a set of (old) speakers. They give a fine sound.
No brand names are present, but at the back of the tweeter only
"motorola" is printed. On the bass speaker only two numbers are
printed.

they are totally black, with plastic protective edges, two Jack
connectors on the back, and a bass-reflex hole in the right upper
corner, and the tweeter in the left corner. I had a look inside and
there is no filer only some kind of (also black) resistor between bass
and tweeter. it states "2%". furthermore I have a photo.

On the left side there is a carrier handle.

Does anybody know what brand or type this speakers might be?
Please help!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
zero zero is offline

"Erik spirit" wrote in message
Hi guys,

I just bought a set of (old) speakers. They give a fine sound.

snip
Does anybody know what brand or type this speakers might be?
Please help!

Audio speakers?

-zero

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Erik spirit wrote:

I just bought a set of (old) speakers. They give a fine sound.
No brand names are present, but at the back of the tweeter only
"motorola" is printed. On the bass speaker only two numbers are
printed.

They have those godawful Motorola piezo tweeters, which have been made
since the early eighties. I think around 2003 or so, Motorola sold off
the division that made those, so you can date the things within about
a twenty year time period.

they are totally black, with plastic protective edges, two Jack
connectors on the back, and a bass-reflex hole in the right upper
corner, and the tweeter in the left corner. I had a look inside and
there is no filer only some kind of (also black) resistor between bass
and tweeter. it states "2%". furthermore I have a photo.

Right. That resistor is all that passes for a crossover with the
piezos.

Does anybody know what brand or type this speakers might be?
Please help!

My guess is that they are white van speakers. Or something somebody
knocked together in a basement with a cheap Asian woofer and a piezo
tweeter.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Erik spirit wrote:
Hi guys,

I just bought a set of (old) speakers. They give a fine sound.
No brand names are present, but at the back of the tweeter only
"motorola" is printed. On the bass speaker only two numbers are
printed.

Doesn't matter what brand they are - they are crap. The Motoral piezo
tweeters are particularly nasty shrill things that are a nasty load for an
amp. Sell them on quick !

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
gunnar gunnar is offline

Handle on the left -- they are PA speakers, used by performers and such
on a stage.

Motorola piezo -- well, use them as PA speakers. Not my favourites, but
they do make the noise.

No names -- hope you did not pay very much.

The would probably work in the garage of a rock band or maybe on the
first small gigs they have. Not intended for music listening.

Gunnar

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Erik spirit Erik spirit is offline

Thanks Gunnar,

You answer is the nicest sofar. Indeed they were cheap. They are nice
to see, sound well, and are meant for a starting sound technician (me)
to practice with and try things out. I could user them as moitors
lateron.

I am happy with the speakers, and indeed they make a lot of noise!

gunnar schreef:

Handle on the left -- they are PA speakers, used by performers and such
on a stage.

Motorola piezo -- well, use them as PA speakers. Not my favourites, but
they do make the noise.

No names -- hope you did not pay very much.

The would probably work in the garage of a rock band or maybe on the
first small gigs they have. Not intended for music listening.

Gunnar

Posted to rec.audio.pro
GregS GregS is offline

In article . com, "gunnar" wrote:
Handle on the left -- they are PA speakers, used by performers and such
on a stage.

Motorola piezo -- well, use them as PA speakers. Not my favourites, but
they do make the noise.

No names -- hope you did not pay very much.

The would probably work in the garage of a rock band or maybe on the
first small gigs they have. Not intended for music listening.

The piezos are thought of as cheap and almost indestructable. They have nasty
peaks and nulls. There is however new usuage in some big arrays, using multiple
piezos and slot loading for high SPL and wide dispersiion.

greg