Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW ScottW is offline

Default SACD

Ok...so my neighbor flees california and dumps a couple of
cheapo surround systems in a box on my doorstep and in
scrounging through them I find a Pioneer Universal DVD
players that plays SACDs.

So I'm gonna buy my first SACD....
What should I get?
Something I already have and try the comparison of remixed
material route or just get something that is the best that
SACD has to offer?

And where.... these guys claim they offer every SACD
available.
http://store.acousticsounds.com/stor...dvd_audio_sacd

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW ScottW is offline

BTW...
this is kind of a cool site.
http://www.audaud.com/article.php?ArticleID=1741

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article GgoDg.16686$RD.14082@fed1read08,
"ScottW" wrote:

Ok...so my neighbor flees california and dumps a couple of
cheapo surround systems in a box on my doorstep and in
scrounging through them I find a Pioneer Universal DVD
players that plays SACDs.

So I'm gonna buy my first SACD....
What should I get?
Something I already have and try the comparison of remixed
material route or just get something that is the best that
SACD has to offer?

And where.... these guys claim they offer every SACD
available.
http://store.acousticsounds.com/stor...dvd_audio_sacd

ScottW

I have know real knowledge in this area, but I know that the disks by
Pentatone are very highly rated.

--
REMOVE your capo to reply
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW ScottW is offline

"ScottW" wrote:

Ok...so my neighbor flees california and dumps a couple
of
cheapo surround systems in a box on my doorstep and in
scrounging through them I find a Pioneer Universal DVD
players that plays SACDs.

So I'm gonna buy my first SACD....
What should I get?
Something I already have and try the comparison of
remixed
material route or just get something that is the best
that
SACD has to offer?

And where.... these guys claim they offer every SACD
available.
http://store.acousticsounds.com/stor...dvd_audio_sacd

ScottW

I have know real knowledge in this area, but I know that
the disks by
Pentatone are very highly rated.

any progressive rock classics in their portfolio?

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

"ScottW" wrote:

Ok...so my neighbor flees california and dumps a couple
of
cheapo surround systems in a box on my doorstep and in
scrounging through them I find a Pioneer Universal DVD
players that plays SACDs.

So I'm gonna buy my first SACD....
What should I get?
Something I already have and try the comparison of
remixed
material route or just get something that is the best
that
SACD has to offer?

And where.... these guys claim they offer every SACD
available.
http://store.acousticsounds.com/stor...dvd_audio_sacd

ScottW

I have no real knowledge in this area, but I know that
the disks by
Pentatone are very highly rated.

any progressive rock classics in their portfolio?

ScottW

lol Nope, sorry.

--
REMOVE your capo to reply

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"ScottW" wrote:

Ok...so my neighbor flees california and dumps a couple of
cheapo surround systems in a box on my doorstep and in
scrounging through them I find a Pioneer Universal DVD
players that plays SACDs.

So I'm gonna buy my first SACD....
What should I get?
Something I already have and try the comparison of remixed
material route or just get something that is the best that
SACD has to offer?

And where.... these guys claim they offer every SACD
available.
http://store.acousticsounds.com/stor...dvd_audio_sacd

ScottW

I have know real knowledge in this area, but I know that the disks by
Pentatone are very highly rated.

any progressive rock classics in their portfolio?

ScottW

Add to my list posted elsewhe

DVD-A

Yoshi - Battle of the Pink Robots

SACD

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Roxy Music - Avalon

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW ScottW is offline

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message
. ..

"ScottW" wrote:

[...]

My existing player has DVD-A and I've
got a couple discs, Fleetwood Mac being one.
Sound is great.

SACD

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Sounds like a good option for comparison.
I've got my old vinyl, an early CD, the
30th Anniversary Japan release.

Roxy Music - Avalon

Thanks for the recomendations.

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MINe 109 MINe 109 is offline

"ScottW" wrote:

Ok...so my neighbor flees california and dumps a couple of
cheapo surround systems in a box on my doorstep and in
scrounging through them I find a Pioneer Universal DVD
players that plays SACDs.

So I'm gonna buy my first SACD....
What should I get?
Something I already have and try the comparison of remixed
material route or just get something that is the best that
SACD has to offer?

Remixed Tommy or Dark Side of the Moon?

And where.... these guys claim they offer every SACD
available.
http://store.acousticsounds.com/stor...dvd_audio_sacd

A music search for "[HYBRID SACD]" on Amazon gets 26 hits.

If you like Dylan, sign up at yourmusic.com and buy the box set of SACD
hybrids at $5.99 each.

Depending on how much you like classical, there are mid-price Living
Stereo reissues as well as higher price Mercury. DG, Pentatone, Cybele,
BIS, etc have high quality new classical recordings, as does Telarc with
classical and jazz. Rolling Stones reissues are going out of print.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Kalman Rubinson Kalman Rubinson is offline

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 10:32:25 -0700, "ScottW"
wrote:

Ok...so my neighbor flees california and dumps a couple of
cheapo surround systems in a box on my doorstep and in
scrounging through them I find a Pioneer Universal DVD
players that plays SACDs.

So I'm gonna buy my first SACD....
What should I get?
Something I already have and try the comparison of remixed
material route or just get something that is the best that
SACD has to offer?

And where.... these guys claim they offer every SACD
available.
http://store.acousticsounds.com/stor...dvd_audio_sacd

Not so sure that they do but I have listed my favorites as part of
each of my columns and you can read them at:
www.stereophile.com/musicintheround

Kal

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Tcassette Tcassette is offline

David Bowie "Ziggy Stardust"
Any Peter Gabriel
Miles Davis "Kind of Blue"
Rolling Stones "Let It Bleed"
"ScottW" wrote in message
Ok...so my neighbor flees california and dumps a couple of cheapo surround
systems in a box on my doorstep and in scrounging through them I find a
Pioneer Universal DVD players that plays SACDs.

So I'm gonna buy my first SACD....
What should I get?
Something I already have and try the comparison of remixed material route
or just get something that is the best that SACD has to offer?

And where.... these guys claim they offer every SACD available.
http://store.acousticsounds.com/stor...dvd_audio_sacd

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article OBqDg.16700$RD.11797@fed1read08,
"ScottW" wrote:

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message
. ..

"ScottW" wrote:

[...]

Of course you'll also be hearing mastering differences.

Roxy Music - Avalon

Thanks for the recomendations.

ScottW

--
REMOVE your capo to reply
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Frank Malczewski Frank Malczewski is offline

"ScottW" wrote:

[...]

Maybe I should grab a few more of the earlier Stones... I mistakenly
bought one of the newer versions of Let It Bleed thinking it was just
the SACD repackaged in a jewel box, but it was only a pretty cruddy
sounding regular CD. Got the digipak SACD a little while later and it
sounded much more wonderful (though not surround sound).

The Moody Blues first few albums are available as imports from
Germany... (got mine via deepdiscountcd.com a month or two ago). The
first one is surround sound and look forward to finding out for myself
about the rest.

BMG music club has a couple dozen titles still... fairly cheap way to
get a bunch.

Wouldn't hurt to grab anything/everything that has Coltrane on it.

Offhand I've not been too disappointed with what I've listened to.

Oh, DVD-Audio-wise try to find a copy of Dire Straits' Brothers In Arms;
mine was a Dualdisc.

Lots of oldies, admittedly, but that's kind of the nature of the beast
(and probably at least a little bit of the reason why these formats
never took off).

Still thinking Tommy is the best rock album ever.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MINe 109 MINe 109 is offline

In article ,
(Frank Malczewski) wrote:

Still thinking Tommy is the best rock album ever.

Maybe I'll try that one when I get surround going.

Stephen