Posted to rec.audio.opinion
[email protected] tmcent@twcny.rr.com is offline

Default Watt Questions

I am extremely confused about speakers and amplifiers. So any help
would be greatly appreciated. I have a 120 watt amplifer with a 70 watt
output. Am I able to hook up 2 or 3 speakers with a peak 170 watts
power safely? If so, will it be loud? If not, should I pick up a 250
watt amplifier? And would that be loud? I need something really loud.
Thanks for all your help.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

wrote in message
ps.com...
I am extremely confused about speakers and amplifiers. So any help
would be greatly appreciated. I have a 120 watt amplifer with a 70 watt
output. Am I able to hook up 2 or 3 speakers with a peak 170 watts
power safely? If so, will it be loud? If not, should I pick up a 250
watt amplifier? And would that be loud? I need something really loud.
Thanks for all your help.

Ask your neighbors for their opinion.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

wrote in message
ps.com...
I am extremely confused about speakers and amplifiers. So any help
would be greatly appreciated. I have a 120 watt amplifer with a 70 watt
output.

Huh? Now I'm confused. Please provide the ratings, as specified by the
manufacturer. I (and you) are only interested in the figures which are
listed as either "continuous" or (incorrectly) "RMS".

Am I able to hook up 2 or 3 speakers with a peak 170 watts
power safely?

**Maybe, maybe not. What is the minimum load impedance which your amp can
cope with? What is the impedance of the speakers?

If so, will it be loud?

**Dunno. What is the efficiency of the speakers? How big is the room?
Furnishings? Number of people? What do you call "loud"?

If not, should I pick up a 250
watt amplifier?

**Maybe. 250 Watts is 3dB (IOW: slightly) louder than 125 Watts. 1,250 Watts
is considerably louder than 125 Watts. OTOH, a 100dB/W/M (high efficiency)
speaker, when connected to a 125 Watt amp, will sound approximately as loud
as a 90dB/W/M (average efficiency) speaker, when connected to a 1,250 Watt
amp. Moral: Buy a very efficient speaker, if you want loud.

And would that be loud?

**Maybe. It mostly depends on how efficient the speakers are, how big the
room is and how close you sit.

I need something really loud.

**Why? You want to damage your hearing? Or is it something else?

Thanks for all your help.

**Yeah, whatever.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Lee Moretti Lee Moretti is offline

wrote in message
ps.com...
I am extremely confused about speakers and amplifiers. So any help
would be greatly appreciated. I have a 120 watt amplifer with a 70 watt
output.

No you don't.

You've got a 120 watt amp with a 70 VOLT output.

Not suitable for hifi. It's for distributed sound.