Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius George M. Middius is offline

Default Bush is anti-science

Today Dumbya declared, again, that religious dogma and mindless
superstition are more important to him than science, and specifically
medical science.

I believe that every time the word "science" is mentioned, Dumbya's eyes
glaze over, and he asks Rove what the best political move is.

--
A day without Krooger is like a day without radiation poisoning.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

George M. Middius wrote:

Today Dumbya declared, again, that religious dogma and mindless
superstition are more important to him than science, and specifically
medical science.

Translation: he knows who writes his paycheck.

I believe that every time the word "science" is mentioned, Dumbya's eyes
glaze over, and he asks Rove what the best political move is.

"Sen. Tom Harkin (Iowa) expressed amazement that Bush has chosen the
stem cell bill for his first veto, given polling showing that
*Americans overwhelmingly support the research*."

So much for representative government.

New bumper sticker: WWTTD? (What Would The Taliban Do?)

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article ,
George M. Middius cmndr [underscore] george [at] comcast [dot] net
wrote:

Today Dumbya declared, again, that religious dogma and mindless
superstition are more important to him than science, and specifically
medical science.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...AR200607170041
2.html

He's so wrong on this, IMO.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW ScottW is offline

Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason! wrote:
George M. Middius wrote:

Today Dumbya declared, again, that religious dogma and mindless
superstition are more important to him than science, and specifically
medical science.

Translation: he knows who writes his paycheck.

I believe that every time the word "science" is mentioned, Dumbya's eyes
glaze over, and he asks Rove what the best political move is.

"Sen. Tom Harkin (Iowa) expressed amazement that Bush has chosen the
stem cell bill for his first veto, given polling showing that
*Americans overwhelmingly support the research*."

While I don't agree with Bush on the subject... I'm also sure that I
want
a president who won't bends to the latest polls.

So much for representative government.

This is a republic and how it works. Polls flutter about like the
breeze.

New bumper sticker: WWTTD? (What Would The Taliban Do?)

Outlaw In vitro fertilization.

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
dizzy dizzy is offline

wrote:

Today Dumbya declared, again, that religious dogma and mindless
superstition are more important to him than science, and specifically
medical science.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...AR200607170041
2.html

He's so wrong on this, IMO.

Has he been right about anything?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

George M. Middius wrote:

Today Dumbya declared, again, that religious dogma and mindless
superstition are more important to him than science, and specifically
medical science.

Translation: he knows who writes his paycheck.

I believe that every time the word "science" is mentioned, Dumbya's eyes
glaze over, and he asks Rove what the best political move is.

"Sen. Tom Harkin (Iowa) expressed amazement that Bush has chosen the
stem cell bill for his first veto, given polling showing that
*Americans overwhelmingly support the research*."

While I don't agree with Bush on the subject... I'm also sure that I
want a president who won't bends to the latest polls.

That is a ridiculous statement. The House and Senate passed a bill
based on what their constituents clearly want, hearing two days of
testimony *and* what is good for the majority of the nation. This veto
is simply pandering to bushie's base of Konservative Kindergarten
Kristians.

Of course, you are now also arguing against voting on a ban on gay
marriage. You can't have it both ways. Either this government
represents a majority or it doesn't.

So much for representative government.

This is a republic and how it works. Polls flutter about like the
breeze.

It is a *representative* republic. This is *not* how it works.

So is this the 'logic' that you would use if bushie, say, tries to
overturn Roe v. Wade? The majority of US citizens are in favor of
reproductive rights, too.

This is *exactly* why there's a seperation of church and state.

New bumper sticker: WWTTD? (What Would The Taliban Do?)

Outlaw In vitro fertilization.

Outlaw science is I'm sure what you meant to say.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW ScottW is offline

"Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!" wrote in message
oups.com...

George M. Middius wrote:

[...]

Nope...if you paid attention Bush has said from the beginning
that he can't accept research stemming from embryos.
His compromise was to allow the existing lines of cells.
He simply is standing by his principles.

Of course, you are now also arguing against voting on a ban on gay
marriage.

I am? AFAICT... when left to voters or legislatures ...
gay marriage loses. Thats fine with me.
If a governor vetoes... well there is always the override.
I'm not big on an amendment but I can see the
issue of states having different views on marriage
can create issues but I see no easy way around that.

You can't have it both ways. Either this government
represents a majority or it doesn't.

Tell it to the Ca legislature on Megans law or
the US Senate on border enforcement.

So much for representative government.

This is a republic and how it works. Polls flutter about like the
breeze.

It is a *representative* republic. This is *not* how it works.

So is this the 'logic' that you would use if bushie, say, tries to
overturn Roe v. Wade?
The majority of US citizens are in favor of
reproductive rights, too.

How could he do that? Congress passes the laws.
Bush can only veto.

This is *exactly* why there's a seperation of church and state.

New bumper sticker: WWTTD? (What Would The Taliban Do?)

Outlaw In vitro fertilization.

Outlaw science is I'm sure what you meant to say.

and stone the scientists...at least the female ones.

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

ScottW wrote:
"Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!" wrote in message

Nope...if you paid attention Bush has said from the beginning
that he can't accept research stemming from embryos.
His compromise was to allow the existing lines of cells.
He simply is standing by his principles.

The 11 lines that are supposedly viable, yet have been exposed to mouse
feeder cells and cannot, therefore, be transplanted into humans (as
opposed to the 64 lines usable bushie claimed in his 'compromise')?

Throwing out extra embyos that are already at fertility clinics, but
not needed any longer for fertilization, makes more sense to bushie
than using them for research?

bushie has broken logic and incorrect facts and has (surprise!) been
disengenuous. It's interesting to me that you'd rather have him 'stick
to his guns' under these circumstances than change his mind.

Tell it to the Ca legislature on Megans law or
the US Senate on border enforcement.

A majority support federal funding of stem cell research. That will not
happen if bushie vetoes. bushie's 'compromise' was deceptive bull****
at its worst.

A majority want immigration reform. Immigration reform will happen.

If you are referring to the 60% or so who say they favor the House
version, I suspect how the question is formed would make a difference.

I'd like to see this question asked to the 60%: "Do you think that all
11-13 million illegal immigrants should be identified, rounded up and
shipped off to their home country, even though this will take years of
massive manpower effort and will take law enforcement effort and
support away from other vital issues like countering terrorism, and
since it will all be at our expense, cost billions and billions of
dollars, or would you support instead an identified and logical path to
citizenship since most of these individuals are already working in the
US and contributing to our economy as well as to the tax base?"

I wonder if that number supporting the House version would still be
60%.

I have no idea about what California-centric issue that Megan's law
created there. I do notice, however, that California does have a
Megan's law. Was it that most residents did not want to be informed
about sex offenders?

The point is that there are *no* good reasons for this veto as far as
the good of the nation is concerned. Our research scientists are
bailing out to England and other places to conduct this research.
bushie has deliberately lied, concealed the truth, used incorrect facts
and faulty logic. For him to *not* change his mind is wrong.

But it *is* bushie...

So is this the 'logic' that you would use if bushie, say, tries to
overturn Roe v. Wade?
The majority of US citizens are in favor of
reproductive rights, too.

How could he do that? Congress passes the laws.
Bush can only veto.

By declaring that embyos cannot be used for research because life
begins at conception.

That's exactly what this stem cell funding ban is all about, you know.
It's yet another hidden attack on Roe v. Wade. Chip away, and soon it's
gone (assuming you can stack the Supreme Court and have a majority).

Uh oh...

This is *exactly* why there's a seperation of church and state.

New bumper sticker: WWTTD? (What Would The Taliban Do?)

Outlaw In vitro fertilization.

Outlaw science is I'm sure what you meant to say.

and stone the scientists...at least the female ones.

Which has nothing to do with bushie's Taliban-like anti-science stance.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:

Today Dumbya declared, again, that religious dogma and mindless
superstition are more important to him than science, and specifically
medical science.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...AR200607170041
2.html

He's so wrong on this, IMO.

Has he been right about anything?

I do not know *everything* that bushie has done. I can say that he has
done *nothing* right (that I'm aware of).

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer paul packer is offline

On 18 Jul 2006 22:56:16 -0700, "Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!"
wrote:

wrote:

Today Dumbya declared, again, that religious dogma and mindless
superstition are more important to him than science, and specifically
medical science.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...AR200607170041
2.html

He's so wrong on this, IMO.

Has he been right about anything?

I do not know *everything* that bushie has done. I can say that he has
done *nothing* right (that I'm aware of).

That's quite a feat. Has anyone called Guinness Book of Records?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:

wrote:

Today Dumbya declared, again, that religious dogma and mindless
superstition are more important to him than science, and specifically
medical science.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...AR200607170041
2.html

He's so wrong on this, IMO.

Has he been right about anything?

I do not know *everything* that bushie has done. I can say that he has
done *nothing* right (that I'm aware of).

That's quite a feat. Has anyone called Guinness Book of Records?

Who else would you suppose is there under "Worst US President"?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MINe 109 MINe 109 is offline

In article . com,
"ScottW" wrote:

Shh! on the immigration bill
I wonder if that number supporting the House version would still be
60%.

Why did the dems refuse amendments to fix the criminalization
of being illegal?

Here's one possibility:

http://www.factcheck.org/article386.html

"...a vote that killed a White House-inspired measure to downgrade the
proposed felony to a misdemeanor. Most Democrats opposed the softening
amendment, but said they did so because it still would have been too
harsh criminalizing the overstaying of a visa, which is now only a
civil offense and not subject to imprisonment."

Another possibility: poison pill.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

ScottW wrote:
Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason! wrote:

A majority support federal funding of stem cell research.

Do they? Frankly, if stem cell research was all that promising
there would be plenty of private money funding research.
Government funded research grants are often just throwing
money away IMO.

That will not
happen if bushie vetoes.

No faith in an override?

You clearly do not know how politics works.

Let me guess (I haven't looked): republicans from liberal-leaning
states voted for the bill. repuiblicans from areas with large amounts
of fundamentalists did not.

Do you suppose that this might just have been orchestrated? Not that
the mid-terms are near or anything...

bushie knew, just as all the republicans who 'broke ranks' knew, that
there would be no override.

Don't you find it just a bit funny that bushie chose this issue, AFTER
SIX YEARS, to use his *first* veto?

bushie's 'compromise' was deceptive bull****
at its worst.

A majority want immigration reform. Immigration reform will happen.

Will it be what the majority wants?
That remains to be seen.

If you are referring to the 60% or so who say they favor the House
version, I suspect how the question is formed would make a difference.

Same with stem cell research...many people mistakenly
think it is prohibited.

Do you mean the 11 lines currently approved?

By declaring that embyos cannot be used for research because life
begins at conception.

Thats a blatant misrepresentation.
They have declared there will be no federal funding of research
using new embryos.
There is no federal prohibition in place against anything but
cloning.

Read what you just wrote.

Hm. At the time bushie made his 'compromise' all the right-to-lifers
were rejoicing. Why?

http://www.ncsl.org/programs/health/genetics/embfet.htm

Did you miss this?

"Current federal policy limits federally funded research to research
conducted on embryonic stem cell lines created before August 2001.
Federal funding of research involving cloning for the purpose of
reproduction or research is prohibited."

That's exactly what this stem cell funding ban is all about, you know.
It's yet another hidden attack on Roe v. Wade. Chip away, and soon it's
gone (assuming you can stack the Supreme Court and have a majority).

I think thats being more than a bit paranoid.

Nope. It's reality.

Uh oh...

This is *exactly* why there's a seperation of church and state.

New bumper sticker: WWTTD? (What Would The Taliban Do?)

Outlaw In vitro fertilization.

Outlaw science is I'm sure what you meant to say.

and stone the scientists...at least the female ones.

Which has nothing to do with bushie's Taliban-like anti-science stance.

You asked... not my fault the answer shows the abusrdity of another
equivalency you try to make, Bush is hardly like the Taliban.

LOL

You really are a blind one.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW ScottW is offline

"MINe 109" wrote in message
In article . com,
"ScottW" wrote:

Shh! on the immigration bill
I wonder if that number supporting the House version would still be
60%.

Why did the dems refuse amendments to fix the criminalization
of being illegal?

Here's one possibility:

http://www.factcheck.org/article386.html

"...a vote that killed a White House-inspired measure to downgrade the
proposed felony to a misdemeanor. Most Democrats opposed the softening
amendment, but said they did so because it still would have been too
harsh criminalizing the overstaying of a visa, which is now only a
civil offense and not subject to imprisonment."

Another possibility: poison pill.

I think thats it. But it may fail.

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW ScottW is offline

"Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!" wrote in message
ups.com...

ScottW wrote:
[...]

If I was pres I'd probably issue a veto/week.

But I don't have a problem with it.
How much money were they going to spend anyway?

bushie's 'compromise' was deceptive bull****
at its worst.

A majority want immigration reform. Immigration reform will happen.

Will it be what the majority wants?
That remains to be seen.

If you are referring to the 60% or so who say they favor the House
version, I suspect how the question is formed would make a difference.

Same with stem cell research...many people mistakenly
think it is prohibited.

Do you mean the 11 lines currently approved?

No. Individual states control the sources...AFAIK the
only federal prohibition in on money and cloning (separately).

By declaring that embyos cannot be used for research because life
begins at conception.

Thats a blatant misrepresentation.
They have declared there will be no federal funding of research
using new embryos.
There is no federal prohibition in place against anything but
cloning.

Read what you just wrote.

Hm. At the time bushie made his 'compromise' all the right-to-lifers
were rejoicing. Why?

http://www.ncsl.org/programs/health/genetics/embfet.htm

Did you miss this?

"Current federal policy limits federally funded research to research
conducted on embryonic stem cell lines created before August 2001.
Federal funding of research involving cloning for the purpose of
reproduction or research is prohibited."

What part of "federally funded" keeps going over your head?

That's exactly what this stem cell funding ban is all about, you know.
It's yet another hidden attack on Roe v. Wade. Chip away, and soon it's
gone (assuming you can stack the Supreme Court and have a majority).

I think thats being more than a bit paranoid.

Nope. It's reality.

Uh oh...

This is *exactly* why there's a seperation of church and state.

New bumper sticker: WWTTD? (What Would The Taliban Do?)

Outlaw In vitro fertilization.

Outlaw science is I'm sure what you meant to say.

and stone the scientists...at least the female ones.

Which has nothing to do with bushie's Taliban-like anti-science stance.

You asked... not my fault the answer shows the abusrdity of another
equivalency you try to make, Bush is hardly like the Taliban.

LOL

Another truth left standing.

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

ScottW wrote:
Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason! wrote:

A majority support federal funding of stem cell research.

Do they? Frankly, if stem cell research was all that promising
there would be plenty of private money funding research.
Government funded research grants are often just throwing
money away IMO.

That will not
happen if bushie vetoes.

No faith in an override?

You clearly do not know how politics works.

Veto override failed, Bush rules .

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer paul packer is offline

On 19 Jul 2006 11:36:18 -0700, "Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!"
wrote:

I do not know *everything* that bushie has done. I can say that he has
done *nothing* right (that I'm aware of).

That's quite a feat. Has anyone called Guinness Book of Records?

Who else would you suppose is there under "Worst US President"?

Gee, and his term hasn't even finished yet!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

ScottW wrote:
Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason! wrote:

A majority support federal funding of stem cell research.

Do they? Frankly, if stem cell research was all that promising
there would be plenty of private money funding research.
Government funded research grants are often just throwing
money away IMO.

That will not
happen if bushie vetoes.

No faith in an override?

You clearly do not know how politics works.

Veto override failed, Bush rules .

Another truth left standing... You clearly do not know how politics
works these days.

Please. One reason not to start using your well-earned nickname
again... Just one.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

ScottW wrote:
Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason! wrote:

A majority support federal funding of stem cell research.

Do they? Frankly, if stem cell research was all that promising
there would be plenty of private money funding research.
Government funded research grants are often just throwing
money away IMO.

That will not
happen if bushie vetoes.

No faith in an override?

You clearly do not know how politics works.

Veto override failed, Bush rules .

Another truth left standing... You clearly do not know how politics
works these days.

Please. One reason not to start using your well-earned nickname
again... Just one.

I was just kidding ===== .

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

ScottW wrote:
"Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!" wrote in message
ups.com...

Don't you find it just a bit funny that bushie chose this issue, AFTER
SIX YEARS, to use his *first* veto?

If I was pres I'd probably issue a veto/week.

But I don't have a problem with it.
How much money were they going to spend anyway?

Federal R&D dollars have historically created jobs and new industries
and helped to keep us in front technologically.

If you want to argue about where the Fed spends money, then lets do it.
How about $500 billion/year in defense? Does that make sense to you,
given the threat? (I know I've asked you this, but you've never to my
knowledge answered.)

bushie's 'compromise' was deceptive bull****
at its worst.

A majority want immigration reform. Immigration reform will happen.

Will it be what the majority wants?
That remains to be seen.

If you are referring to the 60% or so who say they favor the House
version, I suspect how the question is formed would make a difference.

Same with stem cell research...many people mistakenly
think it is prohibited.

Do you mean the 11 lines currently approved?

No. Individual states control the sources...AFAIK the
only federal prohibition in on money and cloning (separately).

Now why is there a prohibition on federal research money if it isn't
ideologically motivated?

Um, perhaps, because 'life begins at conception'?

By declaring that embyos cannot be used for research because life
begins at conception.

Thats a blatant misrepresentation.
They have declared there will be no federal funding of research
using new embryos.
There is no federal prohibition in place against anything but
cloning.

Read what you just wrote.

Hm. At the time bushie made his 'compromise' all the right-to-lifers
were rejoicing. Why?

http://www.ncsl.org/programs/health/genetics/embfet.htm

Did you miss this?

"Current federal policy limits federally funded research to research
conducted on embryonic stem cell lines created before August 2001.
Federal funding of research involving cloning for the purpose of
reproduction or research is prohibited."

What part of "federally funded" keeps going over your head?

It doesn't. What other federal prohibitions on research funding can you
name?

Which has nothing to do with bushie's Taliban-like anti-science stance.

You asked... not my fault the answer shows the abusrdity of another
equivalency you try to make, Bush is hardly like the Taliban.

LOL

Another truth left standing.

Please note: just because I laugh at you does not mean that you've
stated some 'truth' that is going unchallenged.

People sometimes laugh for many reasons. One might be when they're
embarrassed for other people.

bushie and crew are very much like the Taliban. They are, in fact, more
like a fundmentalist Islamic government than they are not.

Driven by religious ideology? Check.
Reverses or removes the rights of others? Check.
Ignores science and substitutes preconceived ideas (IOW, formulates an
opinion, THEN finds 'supporting facts')? Check.
Looks for the wishes of a minority over the wishes of a majority?
Check.
Lies, propagandizes, and twists information? Check.

I don't think the Taliban, like bushie and crew, ever blatantly used
their power to benefit friends and business associates, but they may
have. So perhaps bushie and minions are actually worse than the
Taliban.

Hm. In any event, they are very much like the Taliban. Why would you
say otherwise?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

"Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!" wrote in message
ups.com...

Who else would you suppose is there under "Worst US President"?

Jimmy Carter

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

ScottW wrote:
"Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!" wrote in message
ups.com...

Don't you find it just a bit funny that bushie chose this issue, AFTER
SIX YEARS, to use his *first* veto?

If I was pres I'd probably issue a veto/week.

But I don't have a problem with it.
How much money were they going to spend anyway?

Federal R&D dollars have historically created jobs and new industries
and helped to keep us in front technologically.

With return rates that would plunge a venture capitalist into
bankruptcy.
Another often neglected aspect of federally funded research is
that it dries up private investment in the area.
Federally funded research yields no IPR so private dollars don't want
to get into a contest with public money.

If you want to argue about where the Fed spends money, then lets do it.
How about $500 billion/year in defense? Does that make sense to you,
given the threat? (I know I've asked you this, but you've never to my
knowledge answered.)

No it doesn't make sense to me. But let me ask.. how would you
quantify the threat of China in 20 years?

bushie's 'compromise' was deceptive bull****
at its worst.

A majority want immigration reform. Immigration reform will happen.

Will it be what the majority wants?
That remains to be seen.

If you are referring to the 60% or so who say they favor the House
version, I suspect how the question is formed would make a difference.

Same with stem cell research...many people mistakenly
think it is prohibited.

Do you mean the 11 lines currently approved?

No. Individual states control the sources...AFAIK the
only federal prohibition in on money and cloning (separately).

Now why is there a prohibition on federal research money if it isn't
ideologically motivated?

It is...and what isn't? Theres always an ideology.

Um, perhaps, because 'life begins at conception'?

Ok

[...]

Human cloning

I'm not going to bother with the Bush is like the Taliban... it simply
isn't worth debate IMO.
I hope Paul will understand.

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Clyde Slick said:

Who else would you suppose is there under "Worst US President"?

Jimmy Carter

I thought you were going to say Abraham Lincoln.

--
A day without Krooger is like a day without radiation poisoning.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

"George M. Middius" cmndr [underscore] george [at] comcast [dot] net wrote
in message ...

Clyde Slick said:

Who else would you suppose is there under "Worst US President"?

Jimmy Carter

I thought you were going to say Abraham Lincoln.

Are you kidding?