Dan Eppinger

Default Best Portable Headphones?

I just bought an IPOD. As you IPOD owners already know, the headphones that
come with it..to put it mildly..suck!

In your opinions, what headphones offer the best combination of sound and
comfort for the IPOD? I have a pair of Koss PortaPros. The sound is great,
but the comfort leaves something to be desired. I have tried other small
headphones, but either the sound or the comfort factor just isn't there.

Thanx for your input.

Dan,

Frequent flyer who likes quality sound AND comfort

Arny Krueger

Dan Eppinger wrote:

I just bought an IPOD. As you IPOD owners already know, the
headphones that come with it..to put it mildly..suck!

In your opinions, what headphones offer the best combination of sound
and comfort for the IPOD? I have a pair of Koss PortaPros. The sound
is great, but the comfort leaves something to be desired. I have
tried other small headphones, but either the sound or the comfort
factor just isn't there.

Which are "the best" is open to speculation among most of us, given that
there are personal listening devices with prices in the $500-750 range.
Shure, Ultimate, and Sensaphonics have offerings in this range.

Among more modestly priced alternatives...

(1) Cheapest but still listenable - Koss "The Plug"

(2) Sony MDR EX 70 or MDR EX 71

(3) Shure E2

(4) Best and costliest but still affordable: Future Sonics EM3, AKA
Sennheiser IE3

Specifically not listed: Anything Etymotic. Reasons why: poor sound quality
and low sensitivity.

wereoboy

"Dan Eppinger" wrote in message
news
I just bought an IPOD. As you IPOD owners already know, the headphones

that
come with it..to put it mildly..suck!

In your opinions, what headphones offer the best combination of sound and
comfort for the IPOD? I have a pair of Koss PortaPros. The sound is great,
but the comfort leaves something to be desired. I have tried other small
headphones, but either the sound or the comfort factor just isn't there.

Thanx for your input.

Dan,

Frequent flyer who likes quality sound AND comfort

I recommend the Sony MDR-V600.
Closed back, around the ear design -- does not compress the ear.
Low pressure, light weight, folding design.
Among the highest sensitivity of all headphones.
Clarity very good, but short of excellent.
Very strong headband and hinge construction.
Reasonable price.

Cons:
Some consider the quality of the bass loose & overblown. I'm not offended by
this.
Less clarity than open ear designs, because the backwave is reflected by the
shell. But for noise reduction, a closed back design is mandatory.

The faux leather ear cushions tend to lose their surface by sticking
together under high humidity conditions. The exposed foam is still quite
usable, if unsightly.

Sennheiser 580, 600, and 650 headphones have great clarity. However, they
are open back designs, and lack the sensitivity necessary for compatibility
with low voltage equipment. I'm not sure where the Ipod stands on this, but
a typical Diskman can't drive every set of headphones you might like to use.

Lionel recommends the Etymologic. These are a technical triumph, but some
people find the necessary insertion deep into the ear canal to be a
disturbing intrusion. I have no personal experience with them.

MINe 109

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

Dan Eppinger wrote:

[...]

Alvin Bloom could probably help you insert them properly...

Stephen
Arny Krueger

MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

Dan Eppinger wrote:

[...]

How do you know they weren't inserted properly?

MINe 109

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

Dan Eppinger wrote:

[...]

I don't, but your previous description is similar to to what one would
hear if they weren't.

http://www.onhifi.com/product/etymoticresearch_er4p.htm

"This seal is essential if you want to hear what the ER-4Ps can really
do. If you don't get the transducers firmly seated within the ear canal,
you'll hear tinny, bass-shy squawking."
Arny Krueger

MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

Dan Eppinger wrote:

[...]

I don't,

Hold that thought!

but your previous description is similar to to what one would
hear if they weren't.

Thanks for insulting my intelligence Stephen.

http://www.onhifi.com/product/etymoticresearch_er4p.htm

"This seal is essential if you want to hear what the ER-4Ps can really
do. If you don't get the transducers firmly seated within the ear
canal, you'll hear tinny, bass-shy squawking."

One word: Doooh!

If it were only that simple...

MINe 109

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

snip

Specifically not listed: Anything Etymotic. Reasons why: poor sound
quality and low sensitivity.

Alvin Bloom could probably help you insert them properly...

How do you know they weren't inserted properly?

I don't,

Hold that thought!

but your previous description is similar to to what one would
hear if they weren't.

Thanks for insulting my intelligence Stephen.

Well, you said that your impression that "Etymotic ER6s are all about
treble and not about bass" was "premature" because you found that you
hadn't put them in properly.

http://www.onhifi.com/product/etymoticresearch_er4p.htm

"This seal is essential if you want to hear what the ER-4Ps can really
do. If you don't get the transducers firmly seated within the ear
canal, you'll hear tinny, bass-shy squawking."

One word: Doooh!

If it were only that simple...

Maybe a good headphone amp, too.
Arny Krueger

MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

snip

Specifically not listed: Anything Etymotic. Reasons why: poor
sound quality and low sensitivity.

Alvin Bloom could probably help you insert them properly...

How do you know they weren't inserted properly?

I don't,

Hold that thought!

but your previous description is similar to to what one would
hear if they weren't.

Thanks for insulting my intelligence Stephen.

Well, you said that your impression that "Etymotic ER6s are all about
treble and not about bass" was "premature" because you found that you
hadn't put them in properly.

In your arrogant little mind, Stephen.

http://www.onhifi.com/product/etymoticresearch_er4p.htm

"This seal is essential if you want to hear what the ER-4Ps can
really do. If you don't get the transducers firmly seated within
the ear canal, you'll hear tinny, bass-shy squawking."

One word: Doooh!

If it were only that simple...

Maybe a good headphone amp, too.

In your arrogant little mind, Stephen.

MINe 109

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

snip

Specifically not listed: Anything Etymotic. Reasons why: poor
sound quality and low sensitivity.

Alvin Bloom could probably help you insert them properly...

How do you know they weren't inserted properly?

I don't,

Hold that thought!

but your previous description is similar to to what one would
hear if they weren't.

Thanks for insulting my intelligence Stephen.

Well, you said that your impression that "Etymotic ER6s are all about
treble and not about bass" was "premature" because you found that you
hadn't put them in properly.

In your arrogant little mind, Stephen.

Your words, your foot.

http://www.onhifi.com/product/etymoticresearch_er4p.htm

"This seal is essential if you want to hear what the ER-4Ps can
really do. If you don't get the transducers firmly seated within
the ear canal, you'll hear tinny, bass-shy squawking."

One word: Doooh!

If it were only that simple...

Maybe a good headphone amp, too.

In your arrogant little mind, Stephen.

You are dismissed.

Arny Krueger

MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

snip

Specifically not listed: Anything Etymotic. Reasons why: poor
sound quality and low sensitivity.

Alvin Bloom could probably help you insert them properly...

How do you know they weren't inserted properly?

I don't,

Hold that thought!

but your previous description is similar to to what one would
hear if they weren't.

Thanks for insulting my intelligence Stephen.

Well, you said that your impression that "Etymotic ER6s are all
about treble and not about bass" was "premature" because you found
that you hadn't put them in properly.

In your arrogant little mind, Stephen.

Your words, your foot.

Lame.

http://www.onhifi.com/product/etymoticresearch_er4p.htm

"This seal is essential if you want to hear what the ER-4Ps can
really do. If you don't get the transducers firmly seated within
the ear canal, you'll hear tinny, bass-shy squawking."

One word: Doooh!

If it were only that simple...

Maybe a good headphone amp, too.

In your arrogant little mind, Stephen.