Mike

Default Will a SPDIF-Toslink converter degrade the signal/sound???

I'm looking at this converter boxes that convert a coax into a
toslink. Will this degrade the signal or what? What problems do
these converter boxes have?
Arny Krueger

"Mike" wrote in message
om
I'm looking at this converter boxes that convert a coax into a
toslink. Will this degrade the signal or what? What problems do
these converter boxes have?

Typically they either work or they don't work. There's no significant
degradation of the signal if the signal passes at all.

Mike

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message ...
"Mike" wrote in message
om
I'm looking at this converter boxes that convert a coax into a
toslink. Will this degrade the signal or what? What problems do
these converter boxes have?

Typically they either work or they don't work. There's no significant
degradation of the signal if the signal passes at all.

That's what I was told. I just bought the cheapest one I could find.
I figured the ones on Ebay for $25 VS. the ones on the net for
$75...It's not a huge price difference, but I'm cheap like that...
Arny Krueger

"Mike" wrote in message
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Mike" wrote in message
om
I'm looking at this converter boxes that convert a coax into a
toslink. Will this degrade the signal or what? What problems do
these converter boxes have?

Typically they either work or they don't work. There's no significant
degradation of the signal if the signal passes at all.

That's what I was told. I just bought the cheapest one I could find.
I figured the ones on Ebay for $25 VS. the ones on the net for
$75...It's not a huge price difference, but I'm cheap like that...

BTW, I have a number of these including the Midiman CO2 that was also
recommended.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jim Seymour

Sorry to resurrect a two year and four month old thread, but in
researching RAO comment on optical vs. coaxial digital interconnects,
I ran across this:

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" writes:
"Mike" wrote in message
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Mike" wrote in message
om
I'm looking at this converter boxes that convert a coax into a
toslink. Will this degrade the signal or what? What problems do
these converter boxes have?

Typically they either work or they don't work. There's no significant
degradation of the signal if the signal passes at all.

That's what I was told. I just bought the cheapest one I could find.
I figured the ones on Ebay for $25 VS. the ones on the net for
$75...It's not a huge price difference, but I'm cheap like that...

BTW, I have a number of these including the Midiman CO2 that was also
recommended.

Since I'm in the market for such a beast (my new WS TV has only
coaxial outputs and my receiver has only optical inputs remaining), I
was looking at a Dayton DAC-CO Coaxial to Optical Converter, as in:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...ID=16150&DID=7

This a good way to go? Is there a better product?

Arny, you being the "facts and science guy" here (still fighting the
Good Fight, I see): Have you actually applied any measurement tests
to any of these devices you have?

Thanks,
Jim
--
Jim Seymour | "There is no expedient to which a man will not
| go to avoid the labor of thinking."
http://jimsun.LinxNet.com | - Thomas A. Edison

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

"Arny Krueger" writes:
"Mike" wrote in message
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Mike" wrote in message
om

I'm looking at this converter boxes that convert a
coax into a toslink. Will this degrade the signal or
what? What problems do these converter boxes have?

Typically they either work or they don't work. There's
no significant degradation of the signal if the signal
passes at all.

Since I'm in the market for such a beast (my new WS TV has only
coaxial outputs and my receiver has only optical inputs remaining), I
was looking at a Dayton DAC-CO Coaxial to Optical Converter, as in:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...ID=16150&DID=7

This a good way to go?

Seems like.

Is there a better product?

Probably not.

Arny, you being the "facts and science guy" here (still
fighting the
Good Fight, I see): Have you actually applied any measurement tests
to any of these devices you have?

Yes. Typically they either work or they don't work. There's no significant
degradation of the signal if the signal
passes at all.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius

Sander deWaal said:

You accidently omitted a smiley after that sentence.
Here it is: ;-)

That's only a "smiley" in the Hive. In Humanspace, it's a smirky.

;-(

--
A day without Krooger is like a day without arsenic.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jim Seymour

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" writes:
"Jim Seymour" wrote in message

[snip]

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...ID=16150&DID=7

This a good way to go?

Seems like.

Is there a better product?

Probably not.

Arny, you being the "facts and science guy" here (still
fighting the
Good Fight, I see): Have you actually applied any measurement tests
to any of these devices you have?

Yes. Typically they either work or they don't work. There's no significant
degradation of the signal if the signal
passes at all.

Okay, thanks for the feedback.

--
Jim Seymour | "There is no expedient to which a man will not
| go to avoid the labor of thinking."
http://jimsun.LinxNet.com | - Thomas A. Edison
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn

In article ,
(Jim Seymour) wrote:

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" writes:
"Jim Seymour" wrote in message

[snip]

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...ID=16150&DID=7

This a good way to go?

Seems like.

Is there a better product?

Probably not.

Arny, you being the "facts and science guy" here (still
fighting the
Good Fight, I see): Have you actually applied any measurement tests
to any of these devices you have?

Yes. Typically they either work or they don't work. There's no significant
degradation of the signal if the signal
passes at all.

Okay, thanks for the feedback.

Funny, that's what his live sound clients say to him!
Just kidding Arny; it's a joke...really, just kidding...