Posted to rec.audio.pro
John

Default How to record stereo with laptop?

All my desktop PC have stereo line-level audio inputs but my dell laptop
only has a mono mic-level input.

One way I found to record stereo with laptop is to use an external USB audio
capture device like an iMic. The nice thing about iMic is no software
drivers are needed. I just plug it in and an additional sound device showed
up in windowsxp.

However, sometimes I get high level of noise from the iMic. Is there
something similar to iMic (USB powered, small, no drivers needed) and has
better quality?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

John wrote:
All my desktop PC have stereo line-level audio inputs but my dell laptop
only has a mono mic-level input.

One way I found to record stereo with laptop is to use an external USB audio
capture device like an iMic. The nice thing about iMic is no software
drivers are needed. I just plug it in and an additional sound device showed
up in windowsxp.

However, sometimes I get high level of noise from the iMic. Is there
something similar to iMic (USB powered, small, no drivers needed) and has
better quality?

I'm not aware of any 3rd party interfaces that don't require drivers.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
John Phillips

I have use the iMic for years to record the sermons at church and I like the
fact that it does not require additional drivers also. I have probably used
my for about 3 years and have not observed the noise that you are talking
about. I have not compared its quality to a great card but it has done well
for church services where the quality is not the number one factor (working
with my laptop is). I have also edited most of the services and I did not
see or hear high levels of noise. It may be that your iMic or cable may
have a problem.

When you say high level of noise, how high are you talking about?

John Phillips

"John" wrote in message
.. .
All my desktop PC have stereo line-level audio inputs but my dell laptop
only has a mono mic-level input.

One way I found to record stereo with laptop is to use an external USB
audio capture device like an iMic. The nice thing about iMic is no
software drivers are needed. I just plug it in and an additional sound
device showed up in windowsxp.

However, sometimes I get high level of noise from the iMic. Is there
something similar to iMic (USB powered, small, no drivers needed) and has
better quality?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
soundhaspriority

"John" wrote in message
.. .
All my desktop PC have stereo line-level audio inputs but my dell laptop
only has a mono mic-level input.

One way I found to record stereo with laptop is to use an external USB
audio capture device like an iMic. The nice thing about iMic is no
software drivers are needed. I just plug it in and an additional sound
device showed up in windowsxp.

However, sometimes I get high level of noise from the iMic. Is there
something similar to iMic (USB powered, small, no drivers needed) and has
better quality?

This is a reasonable device:
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...eUSB-main.html It requires a
driver. There is no disadvantage to the use of a driver, and there are many
advantages.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger

"John" wrote in message

All my desktop PC have stereo line-level audio inputs but
my dell laptop only has a mono mic-level input.

One way I found to record stereo with laptop is to use an
external USB audio capture device like an iMic. The nice
thing about iMic is no software drivers are needed. I
just plug it in and an additional sound device showed up
in windowsxp.
However, sometimes I get high level of noise from the
iMic.

IME, the frequency response of the iMic's inputs isn't all that great,
either. The outputs are far better in every way.

The source of the problem is a micropower op amp that isn't all that quiet,
and is also being used to generate more amplification than it has reasonble
gain bandwidth to support. IME and quite regreattably, you can't bypass the
problematical opamp with the line input.

Is there something similar to iMic (USB powered,
small, no drivers needed) and has better quality?

For not much more money then the iMic you can get the Creative USB
SoundBlaster MP3+ External Sound System. It is really quite good for the
price, particularly if you set the input level control as low as possible
consistent with reasonable recorded levels. IOW if you keep any level
controls on the source turned up, and the input level control on the MP3+
turned down. There's also a 24 bit version of the same product, which is
IME a total loser.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Doc Weaver

John wrote:
All my desktop PC have stereo line-level audio inputs but my dell laptop
only has a mono mic-level input.

One way I found to record stereo with laptop is to use an external USB audio
capture device like an iMic. The nice thing about iMic is no software
drivers are needed. I just plug it in and an additional sound device showed
up in windowsxp.

However, sometimes I get high level of noise from the iMic. Is there
something similar to iMic (USB powered, small, no drivers needed) and has
better quality?

Even though I'm P.O.ed at this company, you might take a look:
http://soundtech.com/lightsnake/index.asp

Doc Weaver

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

One way I found to record stereo with laptop is to use an external USB audio
capture device like an iMic. The nice thing about iMic is no software
drivers are needed. I just plug it in and an additional sound device showed
up in windowsxp.

However, sometimes I get high level of noise from the iMic. Is there
something similar to iMic (USB powered, small, no drivers needed) and has
better quality?

Lavry makes a gadget that works with any PC or Mac, showing up as a USB
audio device. It is around $200, input only, and has better preamps than
you'd expect for the price. Real XLR inputs, no phantom power. It sounds
better than you'd think for $200.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 22:39:59 -0700, "John" wrote:

All my desktop PC have stereo line-level audio inputs but my dell laptop
only has a mono mic-level input.

One way I found to record stereo with laptop is to use an external USB audio
capture device like an iMic. The nice thing about iMic is no software
drivers are needed. I just plug it in and an additional sound device showed
up in windowsxp.

However, sometimes I get high level of noise from the iMic. Is there
something similar to iMic (USB powered, small, no drivers needed) and has
better quality?

Sure, loads. I'm afraid you've picked a device, the iMic, which is
little more than a toy. When some Mac computers started leaving out
the mic input, it filled the gap. But no better than the average
onboard mic input - i.e. pretty crappy :-(

You're restricting yourself enormously by your "no driver" requirement
though. Why?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
John

"Laurence Payne" lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom wrote in message
On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 22:39:59 -0700, "John" wrote:

Sure, loads. I'm afraid you've picked a device, the iMic, which is
little more than a toy. When some Mac computers started leaving out
the mic input, it filled the gap. But no better than the average
onboard mic input - i.e. pretty crappy :-(

You're restricting yourself enormously by your "no driver" requirement
though. Why?

Convenience. I'll consider ones that require drivers as well if they have
advantages over iMic.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 18:39:30 -0700, "John" wrote:

You're restricting yourself enormously by your "no driver" requirement
though. Why?

Convenience. I'll consider ones that require drivers as well if they have
advantages over iMic.

Convenience for 30 seconds just before the first use, I suppose :-)