Avid McTavish

Default disaster!

The wife was doing some cleaning yeterday and decided to clean the
metal dome tweeters on a pair of mission speakers using brass polish.
She said she cvannot hear any differents, but to my ears both channel
now sound a little bit sibilant and raspy than they did before. Is
there anything that can be done about this? I was thinking
disinfectant might remove the residue?
Sander deWaal

Avid McTavish said:

The wife was doing some cleaning yeterday and decided to clean the
metal dome tweeters on a pair of mission speakers using brass polish.
She said she cvannot hear any differents, but to my ears both channel
now sound a little bit sibilant and raspy than they did before. Is
there anything that can be done about this? I was thinking
disinfectant might remove the residue?

Assuming the domes are not damaged, it's possible they were pressed
onto the magnet or even deformed the voice coil.
In that case, your wife can't buy that new dress this month.

My wife knows she has to stay clear of the audio, except for turning
it on and play a CD.

--
Sander deWaal
Vacuum Audio Consultancy
Robert Morein

"Avid McTavish" wrote in message
The wife was doing some cleaning yeterday and decided to clean the
metal dome tweeters on a pair of mission speakers using brass polish.
She said she cvannot hear any differents, but to my ears both channel
now sound a little bit sibilant and raspy than they did before. Is
there anything that can be done about this? I was thinking
disinfectant might remove the residue?

If the speakers have significant value, I would replace the tweeters.
Tweeter diaphrams are suspended with very light force and very little
compliance.
This means that the cleaning pressure may have permanently deformed the
suspension.
The cleaning fluid is highly corrosive. It is doubtful it can be removed
completely.

Avid McTavish

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 20:10:05 +0100, Sander deWaal
wrote:

The wife was doing some cleaning yeterday and decided to clean the
metal dome tweeters on a pair of mission speakers using brass polish.
She said she cvannot hear any differents, but to my ears both channel
now sound a little bit sibilant and raspy than they did before. Is
there anything that can be done about this? I was thinking
disinfectant might remove the residue?

Assuming the domes are not damaged, it's possible they were pressed
onto the magnet or even deformed the voice coil.
In that case, your wife can't buy that new dress this month.

My wife knows she has to stay clear of the audio, except for turning
it on and play a CD.

The domes are not deformed but the dust caps have cream residue at the
edges and are shinnier than before. Now she tells me she cleaned the
other cones with jiff (a strong detergent) I tell her npt to touch
stuff but you know how house proud women are.
Avid McTavish

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 19:41:35 +0000, Yukky Sock-worship Closet-case
wrote:

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 17:56:41 +0000, Avid McTavish
wrote:

The wife was doing some cleaning yeterday and decided to clean the
metal dome tweeters on a pair of mission speakers using brass polish.
She said she cvannot hear any differents, but to my ears both channel
now sound a little bit sibilant and raspy than they did before. Is
there anything that can be done about this?

Kill her. If you find a particularly exhilarating way of doing it,
please let me know.

I was thinking
disinfectant might remove the residue?

Be careful. The police have Luminol.

I am sickened by your comments i love my wife very much even though
she is a bit thick at tiomes.

Professor Midnite

From: Avid McTavish

I am sickened by your comments i love my wife very much even though
she is a bit thick at tiomes.

Dear Avid:

Do run to the nearest hospital and get your name on the waiting list for a
sense-of-humor transplant. Hurry. Time is of the essence!

Professor Midnite
Joseph Oberlander

Avid McTavish wrote:

The domes are not deformed but the dust caps have cream residue at the
edges and are shinnier than before. Now she tells me she cleaned the
other cones with jiff (a strong detergent) I tell her npt to touch
stuff but you know how house proud women are.

Ow. Time for new speakers. This time get some with grills on them
and if necessarry, GLUE THEM DOWN. The worst she can do then is
nuke the fabric - no possible way to get at the drivers.

Robert Morein

wrote:

The wife was doing some cleaning yeterday and decided to clean the
metal dome tweeters on a pair of mission speakers using brass polish.
She said she cvannot hear any differents, but to my ears both channel
now sound a little bit sibilant and raspy than they did before. Is
there anything that can be done about this?

Kill her. If you find a particularly exhilarating way of doing it,
please let me know.

I was thinking
disinfectant might remove the residue?

Be careful. The police have Luminol.

I am sickened by your comments i love my wife very much even though
she is a bit thick at tiomes.

It's just humor. Think Rodney Dangerfield.
I realize it may not be your cup of tea, but no one here intends you any
harm.

Goofball_star_dot_etal

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 19:45:05 -0500, George M. Middius
wrote:

Goofy said:

I think you are after my precious. All the audiophiles want my
precious.

Then you'd better run down to the pawn shop and redeem it, don't
you think?

Precious in head. John's dad say: "volcano plan have some problems".