Marc Phillips

Default Strange Days and Evil Nipples

I think it's pretty apparent that the reason why RAO has become mostly about
politics these days is because of the very strange things that are happening in
our country, not to mention the rest of the world. This really hit home this
morning when I was listening to Howard Stern on the radio. No one's really
brought up what he's going through this week because I don't think there are a
lot of his listeners posting regularly on RAO, but basically about one-tenth of
his audience weren't allowed to listen to his show today because of FCC-imposed
suspensions. The funny thing is, Infinty Broadcasting has been scrambling to
find out what they did wrong, and they can't get an answer.

Basically, broadcasters have been under siege ever since Janet Jackson showed
off her floppy, almost forty-year-old tit at the Super Bowl. In the last few
days, shock jocks like Stern have been getting fired left and right for doing
things they've been doing for years. Now, Stern himself is trying to resign
because he can't do the show he's been doing for more than twenty years. His
plan is to switch over to an uncensored satellite radio program, and since he
has about 12 million loyal listeners, this will probably be a major coup for
the new satellite radio industry. (I have XM, and I love it. It's far
superior to regular radio in every conceivable way.) Major chunks of Stern's
show have been getting censored over the last few days.

Is it a coincidence that Stern has been openly calling for the ousting of Bush?
Is it a coincidence that Stern has been making fun of that hysterical
Congresswoman from New Mexico whose son was needlessly traumatized by that lone
nipple and has been screaming melodramatically at any network executive
unfortunate enough to show up to her hearings?

At the same time, "The Passion of the Christ" is breaking opening day box
office records. For anyone who is unfamiliar with the actual content of this
movie, it is basically two solid hours of a man being tortured to death. Roger
Ebert made the very interesting observation that if that man was anyone other
than Jesus Christ, the film would have been rated NC-17...he calls it the most
violent movie he has ever seen. Other critics have gone on to say that sitting
through this film is tantamount to being punished for our sins, it's that
unendurable. One woman in Wichita actually had a heart attack and died while
watching it, a relatively healthy woman in her fiftied who was actually a local
broadcaster. And yet we Americans are seeing this in droves...why?

Tell me again how this country is headed in the right direction.

Boon
Sockpuppet Yustabe

"Marc Phillips" wrote in message
[...]

I guess the movie is kind of like "Resevoir Dogs" for Christians. Could you
imagine a Tarantino development of this project? Would it be any more
violent?

As for Stern, if you don't want to listen to him, you don't
have to tune in. People listening to Stern
have a good idea of what to expect. I used to listen to him
a lot, when he was still a local guy in DC at the start of his career.
He was a lot funnier and a lot more politically oriented than he has
been for the previous ten years or so. Later on I got turned off
when he would spend hours doing nothing
but gossiping about his own litle circle of insiders. He offended me
by being so boring!

As for the Superbowl, in ways, it was worse, even though a pastie
covered nipple on a bare tit hasn't been a big deal since 1955.
People watching the Superbowl aren't expecting that kind of stuff,
and it it was really ****ty for Jackson and Timberlake to pull off
that stunt in the venue of a Superbowl halftime. But it is no concern
for any government action.

ScottW

[...]

Infinity is Stern's home. It was the Clear Channel affiliates that pulled
Stern
(a whopping 6 channels)and it was Clear Channel that punched out
Sponge Bob (or whatever his name was). Stern is just pitching a hissy
fit in a typical Stern publicity stunt.
Clear Channel was gonna drop Stern anyway, why promote a major
competitors guy?

[...]

Did you hear all the right wing radio guys complain that government
censorship is a slippery slope? Savage, Limbaugh, Hannity, O'Reilly,
John & Ken etc. They all came out against government imposed
controls.

[...]

Explain to me why we should judge the direction of the country
on box office returns? If we judge the direction of America
based on anything Hollywood does, I think we would be sadly
mistaken. 3 Months ago we were lining up for Return of the King.
What direction were we headed then?

ScottW

Glenn Zelniker

Marc Phillips wrote:

[snip]

Basically, broadcasters have been under siege ever since Janet Jackson showed
off her floppy, almost forty-year-old tit at the Super Bowl.

I think the tit is only five years old.

GZ
Sandman

"Glenn Zelniker" wrote in message
Marc Phillips wrote:

[snip]

Basically, broadcasters have been under siege ever since Janet Jackson

showed
off her floppy, almost forty-year-old tit at the Super Bowl.

I think the tit is only five years old.

I don't even think it's a tit. It's a surgically implanted sponge (it was
sagging because she was sweating and it absorbed the water) with a plastic
nipple sewed on.

Arny Krueger

"Marc Phillips" wrote in message

I think it's pretty apparent that the reason why RAO has become
mostly about politics these days is because of the very strange
things that are happening in our country, not to mention the rest of
the world.

Nahh. RAO has become what it is, because it has been taken over by a bunch
of people who could care less about audio, such as yourself Marc Phillips.

Marc Phillips

Yustabe said:

[...]

It would probably be a hell of a lot more entertaining. Tarantino knows that
movies are entertainment, not punishment. Besides, despite its violence,
"Reservoir Dogs" is one of the funniest movies ever made.

As for Stern, if you don't want to listen to him, you don't
have to tune in. People listening to Stern
have a good idea of what to expect. I used to listen to him
a lot, when he was still a local guy in DC at the start of his career.
He was a lot funnier and a lot more politically oriented than he has
been for the previous ten years or so. Later on I got turned off
when he would spend hours doing nothing
but gossiping about his own litle circle of insiders. He offended me
by being so boring!

That's what is so suspect about all of this. Howard Stern is nowhere near as
controversial as he used to be, even though the fines the FCC levied against
his company were for his use of the words "penis" and "vagina." Incidentally,
both of those words have been used on "Friends," which broadcasts on a major
network at 8pm. Can Infinity Broadcasting get a refund?

As for the Superbowl, in ways, it was worse, even though a pastie
covered nipple on a bare tit hasn't been a big deal since 1955.

Well, it wasn't quite a pastie, but yes.

People watching the Superbowl aren't expecting that kind of stuff,
and it it was really ****ty for Jackson and Timberlake to pull off
that stunt in the venue of a Superbowl halftime. But it is no concern
for any government action.

Exactly.

Boon

Marc Phillips

ScottW said:

[...]

That may be a premature conclusion. Trust me, this is just the beginning. You
have to realize that this is all the result of one exposed breast on TV. Our
Puritan roots are once again revealed. And you wonder why the rest of the
world laughs at us?

You know, once in a while I feel like we're going to far, constantly pushing
the envelope of good taste, pushing vulgarity for vulgarity's sake. Nowhere is
this more evident than on Stern's show...during the commercials, which
advertisers design to appeal to what they think is Stern's core audience.
They're offensive because they're shallow and crude. But Yustabe is right when
he says that Stern's show has become mild, even boring over the years.

This is not about what Howard says or does on his show. This is an attempt at
a clean sweep. This is the return of the Moral Majority type of wrongful
thinking.

[...]

That's because this is not a liberal/conservative thing.

[...]

This film has earned $50 million in its first two days. It will go down
probably as one of the biggest box-office hits of all time. And it's little
more than a snuff film, with Jesus as the victim. You don't think that's a
reflection of our society?

If we judge the direction of America
based on anything Hollywood does, I think we would be sadly
mistaken. 3 Months ago we were lining up for Return of the King.
What direction were we headed then?

We wanted to be entertained. Now we want to be punished.

Boon

Marc Phillips

Arny said:

Nahh. RAO has become what it is,

Nahh...you're not invited to this discussion. You're not smart enough.

Boon

Arny Krueger

Arny said:

Nahh. RAO has become what it is,

Nahh...you're not invited to this discussion. You're not smart enough.

The bar is set so low that even you can pass, Phillips. Look up, that's my
foot.

Sockpuppet Yustabe

Arny said:

Nahh. RAO has become what it is,

Nahh...you're not invited to this discussion. You're not smart enough.

The bar is set so low that even you can pass, Phillips. Look up, that's my
foot.

I can smell it from here.

Arny Krueger

"Marc Phillips" wrote in message

This film has earned $50 million in its first two days.

Wrong.

http://www.boxofficereport.com/wbon/passion.shtml

$38.3 million

But Phillips why should you start getting your facts right at this late
date?

BTW, the $38.3 is known to be bogus as a 2-day number, because it includes
receipts from "sneak previews" on Monday and Tuesday. Those receipts are
estimated at around $5 million. So, the two day number is a mere $33 million
or so.

It will go down probably as one of the biggest box-office hits of all

time.

Seems unlikely. Mel will get his investment back, but...

And it's little more than a snuff film, with Jesus as the victim.

How many movies have been made where the main character dies in the end? So
now they're all snuff movies?

You don't think that's a reflection of our society?

It's a reflection of a fairly ancient story.

We wanted to be entertained. Now we want to be punished.

Given how completely bent and atypical you are Phillips, you've got to tell
us who else is in there with you with this "we".

ScottW

ScottW said:

[...]

You should hear the Mexican based stations making fun of the FCC.
One is running a curse word of the day contest.
It's pretty funny. One has commercial that flat says
"**** the FCC".
But I don't think 6 channels less of Howie is any big deal.
The SD channel is FM and normally has a music format.
I'm all for dumping Howie in favor of music.

(snip)

[...]

A marketing coup.
But even if it does. Big deal. What movie is it gonna displace?
LotRs? Star Wars? or Sound of Music?

I found it. Titanic. Kind of surprising.
http://movieweb.com/movies/box_office/alltime.php

What was the message then? I see 2 Star Wars
in the top 4 and 2 LotR's moving up in the top ten.

And it's little
more than a snuff film, with Jesus as the victim. You don't think that's

reflection of our society?

Only in how gullible people are for a controversy and
slick marketing.

If we judge the direction of America
based on anything Hollywood does, I think we would be sadly
mistaken. 3 Months ago we were lining up for Return of the King.
What direction were we headed then?

We wanted to be entertained. Now we want to be punished.

Maybe this weekend. Next weekend it will be
a horror flick on top of the charts. The pendulum always swings.

ScottW

Bruce J. Richman

Mr. Phillips wrote:

Yustabe said:

[...]

Unbelievable! If the holier-than-thou FCC is going to start fineing people
for using anatomical terms that offend their blue-nosed sensibilities, then Dr.
Ruth may be in a lot of trouble

As for the Superbowl, in ways, it was worse, even though a pastie
covered nipple on a bare tit hasn't been a big deal since 1955.

Well, it wasn't quite a pastie, but yes.

People watching the Superbowl aren't expecting that kind of stuff,
and it it was really ****ty for Jackson and Timberlake to pull off
that stunt in the venue of a Superbowl halftime. But it is no concern
for any government action.

Exactly.

Boon

Bruce J. Richman

dave weil

Arny said:

Nahh. RAO has become what it is,

Nahh...you're not invited to this discussion. You're not smart enough.

The bar is set so low that even you can pass, Phillips. Look up, that's my
foot.

You should remove it from your mouth.

S888Wheel

The bar is set so low that even you can pass, Phillips. Look up, that's my
foot.

Did you manage to get it out of your mouth? Want to talk more about that band
Fold es Eg?
S888Wheel

How many movies have been made where the main character dies in the end? So
now they're all snuff movies?

So you are an idiot when it comes to movies too.
Arny Krueger

"ScottW" wrote in message

Maybe this weekend. Next weekend it will be
a horror flick on top of the charts. The pendulum always swings.

Does Scotty think that The Passion of Chirst is a Romantic Comedy?

Marc Phillips

Arny said:

Nahh. RAO has become what it is,

Nahh...you're not invited to this discussion. You're not smart enough.

The bar is set so low that even you can pass, Phillips. Look up, that's my
foot.

An IKYABWAI? See, I was right.

Boon
Marc Phillips

Arny said:

This film has earned $50 million in its first two days.

Wrong.

Oh, Jesus H. Christ, get the hint already. You're not smart enough to discuss
this. You're quibbling over numbers and missing the point. I don't understand
why you don't run the other way when you see one of my posts. Really.

Boon

Marc Phillips

ScottW said:

[...]

Well, we shouldn't feel sorry for Stern, who has been threatening to leave the
radio for years now. He made news last week by actually resigning, but not
everyone took it seriously. I think his plan to head to satellite radio is a
great one, because the FCC has hamstrung his creativity for years. I think an
uncensored program would not only make him funny again, but it would really
establish satellite radio in the mainstream for good.

(snip)

[...]

I'm not sure of the relevance of your argument. Let's face it, "The Passion of
the Christ" is a very unique film, perhaps the most unique film of our
generation. Its sole purpose is to make people feel awful about what happened
to Jesus, and how much he suffered for us. Bringing up other movies is
comparing apples and oranges. People who are seeing this are not just going to
the movies. There are people who are seeing this who haven't been to a movie
theatre in years. Churches are organizing field trips for their entire
congregations. There is a concerted effort to REQUIRE Christians to see this
movie as an act of faith. Can you say the same about the Lord of the Rings?

I found it. Titanic. Kind of surprising.
http://movieweb.com/movies/box_office/alltime.php

What was the message then? I see 2 Star Wars
in the top 4 and 2 LotR's moving up in the top ten.

And it's little
more than a snuff film, with Jesus as the victim. You don't think that's

reflection of our society?

Only in how gullible people are for a controversy and
slick marketing.

Scott, have you seen it? I have, and it's an oppressive experience. You might
have a different viewpoint if you did.

If we judge the direction of America
based on anything Hollywood does, I think we would be sadly
mistaken. 3 Months ago we were lining up for Return of the King.
What direction were we headed then?

We wanted to be entertained. Now we want to be punished.

Maybe this weekend. Next weekend it will be
a horror flick on top of the charts. The pendulum always swings.

Actually, people are seeing this over and over again. They're watching it,
walking out, and walking back in for the very next showing. That's generally
how a movie gets to the $200 million mark, or the $300 million mark. Or more.
Let's see where it goes.

Boon

Marc Phillips

Arny said:

Does Scotty think that The Passion of Chirst is a Romantic Comedy?

You're a Christian, and you can't even spell Christ right. I told you that
you're too ****ing stupid to participate here. Get the hint already.

Boon
S888Wheel

Does Scotty think that The Passion of Chirst is a Romantic Comedy?

Do you still think Fold es Eg is a recording artist?

Bruce J. Richman

Mr. Phillips wrote:

Arny said:

Does Scotty think that The Passion of Chirst is a Romantic Comedy?

You're a Christian, and you can't even spell Christ right. I told you that
you're too ****ing stupid to participate here. Get the hint already.

Boon

He's quite a "characture".

Bruce J. Richman

S888Wheel

Does Scotty think that The Passion of Chirst is a Romantic Comedy?

Do you still think Fold es Eg is a recording artist?

Thanks sockpuppet wheel for demonstrating you're apoplectic disability
to bash Bush and Chirst at every opportunity, just as Phillips nothing
but another snake oil peddler with tubes and vinyl sockpuppet wheel.

MucH ;-(

One has to wonder if Arny thinks you are making fun of him or agreeing with
him. Thanks for raising the entertainment level.
ScottW

ScottW said:

Tell me again how this country is headed in the right direction.

Explain to me why we should judge the direction of the country
on box office returns?

This film has earned $50 million in its first two days. It will go

down
probably as one of the biggest box-office hits of all time.

A marketing coup.
But even if it does. Big deal. What movie is it gonna displace?
LotRs? Star Wars? or Sound of Music?

I'm not sure of the relevance of your argument. Let's face it, "The

Passion of
the Christ" is a very unique film, perhaps the most unique film of our
generation.

I just don't put much relevance into what's currently hot in the
entertainment
world to bear any real significance on the direction of society.
The Passion may be a record box office draw but porn was still the first
real money maker on the internet. Which one is more significant on the
direction of our society?

Its sole purpose is to make people feel awful about what happened
to Jesus, and how much he suffered for us. Bringing up other movies is
comparing apples and oranges. People who are seeing this are not just

going to
the movies. There are people who are seeing this who haven't been to a

movie
theatre in years. Churches are organizing field trips for their entire
congregations. There is a concerted effort to REQUIRE Christians to see

this
movie as an act of faith. Can you say the same about the Lord of the

Rings?

I've only read some of the media hype but I haven't experienced any such
thing.
No one has called or knocked on my door.

I found it. Titanic. Kind of surprising.
http://movieweb.com/movies/box_office/alltime.php

What was the message then? I see 2 Star Wars
in the top 4 and 2 LotR's moving up in the top ten.

And it's little
more than a snuff film, with Jesus as the victim. You don't think

that's
reflection of our society?

Only in how gullible people are for a controversy and
slick marketing.

Scott, have you seen it? I have, and it's an oppressive experience. You

might
have a different viewpoint if you did.

Wouldn't I then be just another one of the masses
leading America in the wrong direction?

How many people are seeing the film just to understand
what the controversy is all about? I assume that is why
you went.

If we judge the direction of America
based on anything Hollywood does, I think we would be sadly
mistaken. 3 Months ago we were lining up for Return of the King.
What direction were we headed then?

We wanted to be entertained. Now we want to be punished.

Maybe this weekend. Next weekend it will be
a horror flick on top of the charts. The pendulum always swings.

Actually, people are seeing this over and over again. They're watching

it,
walking out, and walking back in for the very next showing.

Not at our local theatre. All prime time shows are sold out
hours in advance so repeat viewing isn't an option unless you
plan for it. Even so, repeat viewing would mean a significant
overestimate on the number of people who are actually
going to see it.

That's generally
how a movie gets to the $200 million mark, or the $300 million mark. Or

more.
Let's see where it goes.

Beyond the "box office" smash headlines I'm not hearing unanimous
positive reviews. Lots of people finding the violence over the top,
theologians complaining about departure from scripture and glossing
over the resurrection which was the real event that made Christianity.
I heard one guy complaining, without resurrection, Christ is just
another great man who died a horrible death. The movie treated the
resurrection as an afterthought in his mind.
My gut feel is this thing won't sustain it's run like RotK. But we shall
see.

ScottW

Marc Phillips

ScottW said:

Tell me again how this country is headed in the right direction.

Explain to me why we should judge the direction of the country
on box office returns?

This film has earned $50 million in its first two days. It will go

down
probably as one of the biggest box-office hits of all time.

A marketing coup.
But even if it does. Big deal. What movie is it gonna displace?
LotRs? Star Wars? or Sound of Music?

I'm not sure of the relevance of your argument. Let's face it, "The

Passion of
the Christ" is a very unique film, perhaps the most unique film of our
generation.

I just don't put much relevance into what's currently hot in the
entertainment
world to bear any real significance on the direction of society.

As I've said before, this doesn't qualify as entertainment.

That's kind of my point.

The Passion may be a record box office draw but porn was still the first
real money maker on the internet. Which one is more significant on the
direction of our society?

The better question is, do the two things feed off of each other?

[...]

Only if you felt compelled to see it over and over as an act of contrition.
I'm not talking about those who see this out of curiosity, as I did. Actually,
I was able to see it in a sneak preview, and I had very little idea of how
horrible it was going to be. I actually like(d) Mel Gibson, and judging from
"Braveheart," he is a gifted filmmaker. I felt it was going to be worthwhile
from a film standpoint, and in a way it is.

Personally, however, I feel that you are handicapped in this discussion by not
having seen it.

How many people are seeing the film just to understand
what the controversy is all about? I assume that is why
you went.

And how many people should have been turned off from wanting to go after they
found out what a horrific experience it would be?

If we judge the direction of America
based on anything Hollywood does, I think we would be sadly
mistaken. 3 Months ago we were lining up for Return of the King.
What direction were we headed then?

We wanted to be entertained. Now we want to be punished.

Maybe this weekend. Next weekend it will be
a horror flick on top of the charts. The pendulum always swings.

Actually, people are seeing this over and over again. They're watching

it,
walking out, and walking back in for the very next showing.

Not at our local theatre. All prime time shows are sold out
hours in advance so repeat viewing isn't an option unless you
plan for it. Even so, repeat viewing would mean a significant
overestimate on the number of people who are actually
going to see it.

Well, that's in San Diego. Filmgoing in LA is a tad different. I watched
people on the news being interviewed and saying that they were going back in.

That's generally
how a movie gets to the $200 million mark, or the $300 million mark. Or

more.
Let's see where it goes.

Beyond the "box office" smash headlines I'm not hearing unanimous
positive reviews.

That's because it's getting very mixed reviews. Film critics tend to be
independent thinkers, not sheep like your average Christian. The film is being
criticized for the very things I've mentioned. And even those with a pretense
of faith in Christianity are saying the same thing, that there is precious
little of Jesus' teachings in the movie. If you weren't a Christian, or had a
good working knowledge of the tenets of Christianity, you'd be lost as to the
theme of this movie. This film was designed to make Christians ( and Jews,
arguably) feel guilty and penitent.

Lots of people finding the violence over the top,
theologians complaining about departure from scripture and glossing
over the resurrection which was the real event that made Christianity.
I heard one guy complaining, without resurrection, Christ is just
another great man who died a horrible death. The movie treated the
resurrection as an afterthought in his mind.
My gut feel is this thing won't sustain it's run like RotK. But we shall
see.

Even if its box office run fades quickly, I bet you it will be a huge hit when
it gets to home video. This is the kind of film religious nuts will try to
show to everyone over and over.

Boon

ScottW

ScottW said:

Wouldn't I then be just another one of the masses
leading America in the wrong direction?

Only if you felt compelled to see it over and over as an act of

contrition.
I'm not talking about those who see this out of curiosity, as I did.

Actually,
I was able to see it in a sneak preview, and I had very little idea of

how
horrible it was going to be. I actually like(d) Mel Gibson, and judging

from
"Braveheart," he is a gifted filmmaker. I felt it was going to be

worthwhile
from a film standpoint, and in a way it is.

Personally, however, I feel that you are handicapped in this discussion

by not
having seen it.

Perhaps, I'm still not gonna see it. If I am gonna be saved it's
gonna be
from mass hysteria.

[...]

That's the media and it's twisted way of getting involved in the marketing
hype.
They get all gaga over the pre sales and the hype just builds.
I went to a movie when LotR's had been out a week, still had
it's own line.
There was a media guy out front wanting to interview anyone
who had seen the movie more than 5 times.
He found some Tolkien disciple and got the story he wanted.
I think it had some kind of opening week box office record.

[...]

Exactly why I waited and now have decided not to bother.

Lots of people finding the violence over the top,
theologians complaining about departure from scripture and glossing
over the resurrection which was the real event that made Christianity.
I heard one guy complaining, without resurrection, Christ is just
another great man who died a horrible death. The movie treated the
resurrection as an afterthought in his mind.
My gut feel is this thing won't sustain it's run like RotK. But we shall
see.

Even if its box office run fades quickly, I bet you it will be a huge hit

when
it gets to home video. This is the kind of film religious nuts will try

show to everyone over and over.

You think the Jehovas will start leaving DVDs instead of those
Watchtower
booklets?

ScottW

Mikermckelvy

Date: 2/26/04 6:25 PM Pacific Standard Time

I think it's pretty apparent that the reason why RAO has become mostly about
politics these days is because of the very strange things that are happening
in
our country, not to mention the rest of the world. This really hit home this
morning when I was listening to Howard Stern on the radio. No one's really
brought up what he's going through this week because I don't think there are
lot of his listeners posting regularly on RAO, but basically about one-tenth
of
his audience weren't allowed to listen to his show today because of
FCC-imposed
suspensions. The funny thing is, Infinty Broadcasting has been scrambling to
find out what they did wrong, and they can't get an answer.

If you have more details I'd love to hear them. The only info I heard was that
Clear Channel was dropping him from their stations that carried him, 6 total.

Basically, broadcasters have been under siege ever since Janet Jackson showed
off her floppy, almost forty-year-old tit at the Super Bowl. In the last few
days, shock jocks like Stern have been getting fired left and right for doing
things they've been doing for years. Now, Stern himself is trying to resign
because he can't do the show he's been doing for more than twenty years. His
plan is to switch over to an uncensored satellite radio program, and since he
has about 12 million loyal listeners, this will probably be a major coup for
the new satellite radio industry. (I have XM, and I love it. It's far
superior to regular radio in every conceivable way.) Major chunks of Stern's
show have been getting censored over the last few days.

Is it a coincidence that Stern has been openly calling for the ousting of
Bush?

Probably.

Is it a coincidence that Stern has been making fun of that hysterical
Congresswoman from New Mexico whose son was needlessly traumatized by that
lone
nipple and has been screaming melodramatically at any network executive
unfortunate enough to show up to her hearings?

Probably.

At the same time, "The Passion of the Christ" is breaking opening day box
office records. For anyone who is unfamiliar with the actual content of this
movie, it is basically two solid hours of a man being tortured to death.

Yet it is not as violent as the real event, from what I've heard.

Roger
Ebert made the very interesting observation that if that man was anyone other
than Jesus Christ, the film would have been rated NC-17...he calls it the
most
violent movie he has ever seen. Other critics have gone on to say that
sitting
through this film is tantamount to being punished for our sins, it's that
unendurable. One woman in Wichita actually had a heart attack and died while
watching it, a relatively healthy woman in her fiftied who was actually a
local
broadcaster. And yet we Americans are seeing this in droves...why?

Because of the pre-release hype of course.

Tell me again how this country is headed in the right direction.

Boon

Is it wrong for Christians to feel strongly about their faith? For me all
religion is nonsense, but for them it is the revealed truth of the almighty.

The test will be, if the movie has legs. How will it do 2-3 weeks after
release.

The essential moral position of the Christian faith aren't all that wierd ya
know.
They form the basis for most of Western law.

It's the idea that they have to share the news with everybody, that makes me
ill.

As Dave Barry said: Those who want to share their religious views with you,
never seem to want you to share yours with them.

He also said it's not a good idea to take a slleping pill and a laxative at the
same time.

Now that should have been in the Bible, too!

Marc Phillips

ScottW said:

My gut feel is this thing won't sustain it's run like RotK. But we shall
see.

$117 million in the first five days. That's just a bit behind "Spiderman,"
which has the record for the first week.

Boon
Arny Krueger

ScottW said:

My gut feel is this thing won't sustain it's run like RotK. But we
shall
see.

$117 million in the first five days. That's just a bit behind
"Spiderman," which has the record for the first week.

So Phillips you think that 5 days is a week when it's a religious movie, or
what?

ScottW

ScottW said:

My gut feel is this thing won't sustain it's run like RotK. But we shall
see.

$117 million in the first five days. That's just a bit behind

"Spiderman,"
which has the record for the first week.

Yes, it raking in the dough.
I notice the theatre count is well below that of
RotK during its opening week.
Why might that be?

ScottW

Sockpuppet Yustabe

ScottW said:

My gut feel is this thing won't sustain it's run like RotK. But we

shall
see.

$117 million in the first five days. That's just a bit behind

"Spiderman,"
which has the record for the first week.

Yes, it raking in the dough.
I notice the theatre count is well below that of
RotK during its opening week.
Why might that be?

The book wasn't as good?

S888Wheel

Yes, it raking in the dough.
I notice the theatre count is well below that of
RotK during its opening week.
Why might that be?

Return of the King had a release date determined well ahead of time. No one
wanted to compete with it so the screens were made available. No one knew what
would happen with Passion or even if it would ever be released.
Arny Krueger

"S888Wheel" wrote in message

Yes, it raking in the dough.
I notice the theatre count is well below that of
RotK during its opening week.
Why might that be?

Return of the King had a release date determined well ahead of time.
No one wanted to compete with it so the screens were made available.
No one knew what would happen with Passion or even if it would ever
be released.

LOL!

Note that the passion-movie web site was registered last July. They
obviously did this because they did not know if the movie was going to be
released. People have been downloading the trailer since last July by the
100,000's which gave nobody any clue about what would happen with Passion
when it was released. The release date of the film was known back in early
December, when the pope previewed it. I guess 60 days notice isn't enough
for sockpuppet wheel.