Posted to rec.audio.pro
jefff1

Default Recommended Tape

Hi all...I just purchased a refurbished Teac X1000-R after being absent
from the reel to reel world for 25 years....Could anyone recommend what
currently available tape formulation/brand would work best with the
Teac? Thank you for your help in my return to analog....Jefff1

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

jefff1 wrote:
Hi all...I just purchased a refurbished Teac X1000-R after being absent
from the reel to reel world for 25 years....Could anyone recommend what
currently available tape formulation/brand would work best with the
Teac? Thank you for your help in my return to analog....Jefff1

This machine should have no problem with either Quantegy 406 or 456.
You'll find 456 will tolerate slightly higher operating levels but gets
glassy-sounding when you actually use it at those levels. Either you
will like this or not.

I suggest ordering the MRL tape for 250 nW/m operating levels. I think
it's probably a bad idea to run much over that with the X1000.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
jefff1

Thanks for the advice on this Scott...I've been offline for a couple of
days so I'm slow to read this recommendation...Do you have any opinion
on the Ampex 468 tape that is currently around in abundance? Thank
you....

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

jefff1 wrote:
Thanks for the advice on this Scott...I've been offline for a couple of
days so I'm slow to read this recommendation...Do you have any opinion
on the Ampex 468 tape that is currently around in abundance? Thank
you....

Ampex never made a 468 tape. And I would be worried about any backcoated
tapes old enough to have "Ampex" on the box.

Agfa made a PEM 468, which was an excellent tape, and when BASF bought
them out and then Emtec took them over, they continued making it. BUT,
it is certainly not around in abundance; it's been out of production for
several years now and people are pretty much snapping it up.

I think you should be able to align that machine for the BASF 468, and
I think it's a better tape than the Quantegy, but I wouldn't count on
having a reliable supply of it.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
jefff1

Thanks Scott...yes I believe I misspoke... I meant to say EMTEC 468
seems to be around..and thanks for the recommendation of it...