Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default mp3 recording

I'm not all that experienced at audio recording and have previously
only used an MD player. Recently though I bought an i-River HP140 for
recording mixes. I have just discovered that although it is a 40GB
player it will only record 195MB at mp3 or 795MB at WAV. If Rockbox
cant help me out with some other firmware I might have to go for
another recorder.

What is the standard for professional audio recording now? I have read
posts mentioning the Edirol R1, the Marantz PMD 660, and the M-Audio
Microtrack, but is this all that's available and are these the standard
recorders now? I'm assuming DAT recorders are not that commonly used
now. Is there anything cheaper out there that will record mp3 or WAV?

Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Charles Tomaras

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm not all that experienced at audio recording and have previously
only used an MD player. Recently though I bought an i-River HP140 for
recording mixes. I have just discovered that although it is a 40GB
player it will only record 195MB at mp3 or 795MB at WAV. If Rockbox
cant help me out with some other firmware I might have to go for
another recorder.

What is the standard for professional audio recording now? I have read
posts mentioning the Edirol R1, the Marantz PMD 660, and the M-Audio
Microtrack, but is this all that's available and are these the standard
recorders now? I'm assuming DAT recorders are not that commonly used
now. Is there anything cheaper out there that will record mp3 or WAV?

Thanks.

I think that $350 to $600 is about as cheap as you are gonna get and have
any sort of semi-professional results. The Marantz you mention is the most
PRO of the three.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
William Sommerwerck

I'm not all that experienced at audio recording and have previously
only used an MD player. Recently though I bought an iRiver HP140
for recording mixes. I have just discovered that although it is a 40GB
player it will only record 195MB of MP3 or 795MB of WAV. If Rockbox
cant help me out with some other firmware I might have to go for
another recorder.

These are limits for a single-session file. You can stop at any time and
start another file.

795MB WAV is over 80 minutes. Why isn't that enough?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

anyway the firmware from Rockbox has sorted it out. Now I have 40GB.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Crowley

will_usher wrote ...
What is the standard for professional audio recording now? I have read
posts mentioning the Edirol R1, the Marantz PMD 660, and the M-Audio
Microtrack,

Those devices are not in the same category in terms
of build-quality, reliability, performance, etc. etc.
They have all been discussed several times in this
forum over the last year or so. Suggest perusing the
Google Groups archive to see the consenses for
yourself.

but is this all that's available and are these the standard
recorders now? I'm assuming DAT recorders are not that
commonly used now.

DAT equipmment has not been manufactured for several
years now. The format is on life-support.

Is there anything cheaper out there that will record
mp3 or WAV?

Cheaper than what?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

cheaper than bread.