Posted to rec.audio.pro
Matt Martin

Default Question on Studio Monitors

Hello,

I've got a home studio that I'm considering upgrades for to do more
recording of my band in-house. I'm using Sonar 5 Pro and feel fine
with the other elements of my setup for what I'm trying to achieve.
The part I'm considering upgrading are my studio monitors to make sure
I'm getting the best possilbe and most accurate mix as listening on my
stereo (a Polk SurroundBar) didn't produce the best results. Or, it
may just be I have to do some more soundproofing work in my studio
room. Anyhow, I have the Edirol MA-20D monitors which are digital
24-bit studio monitors that work nice for a desktop computer that is
not solely dedicated to studio duties. However, I'm not sure how
accurate they are. As far as sound-proofing, they're pretty close to
the wall the computer is up against. All I have now are Auralex pads
to sit the monitors on the ledge of my workstation.

Basically, I've got $400-$500 in the near term that I could spend to
improve it now. Are there monitors that are appreciably better at that
price range, or should I focus on soundproofing instead and save for
higher end speakes down the road?

Thanks,

Matt

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Matt,
You should look into your room prior to spending anymore money on
monitors. Talk to Ethan Winer at Real Traps about the acoustic
properties of your room. Believe me, it's money and time well spent.

DaveT