Posted to rec.audio.pro
Martin

Default Recommendations for 8-Channel Analog Capture

I need an analog capture device with at least 8 channels of
simultaneous input. I see a lot of inexpensive 4-channel and 8-channel
"multi-track studio" devices, but they seem to digitize only a couple
of channels at a time. This would work for overlaying instruments and
vocals to create a demo, but not for saving live performance for later
re-mix.

Do I have any choices in the "inexpensive" ($200-$500) range? I'm not
looking for bells and whistles, just something to capture 8 (or even
12, if possible) line-level signals from our mixer for later mixing and
editing.

Preferred interface is USB 2.0, since my laptop already has that, but
PCMCIA would also work. If I had to, I could use a desktop and go PCI
or firewire.

thanks,

Martin

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger

"Martin" wrote in message
oups.com
I need an analog capture device with at least 8 channels
of simultaneous input. I see a lot of inexpensive
4-channel and 8-channel "multi-track studio" devices, but
they seem to digitize only a couple of channels at a
time. This would work for overlaying instruments and
vocals to create a demo, but not for saving live
performance for later re-mix.

Do I have any choices in the "inexpensive" ($200-$500)
range? I'm not looking for bells and whistles, just
something to capture 8 (or even 12, if possible)
line-level signals from our mixer for later mixing and
editing.

Preferred interface is USB 2.0, since my laptop already
has that, but PCMCIA would also work. If I had to, I
could use a desktop and go PCI or firewire.

I believe the PCI M-Audio Delta 1010LT is the current price leader among
multichannel audio interfaces that handle 8 concurrent analog channels in,
and 8 analog channels out. Under $200 at a store or mail-order source
*near* you.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Martin

Wow, that's quite a capability for $175! I do have one concern,
though. I went to the M-Audio web site to look at the hardware specs,
and noticed that it comes bundled with a software package called
"Abledon Live Lite 5". Reading up on that software, I noted that it
only claims to support 4 audio tracks and 4 midi tracks. In order to
remove that limitation, you must buy a $500 software package.

So, if I buy this hardware, will I be able to record/digitize ALL the
tracks simultaneously using only what I get for $175? Does the Live
Lite 5 limitation only refer to processing?

For that matter, is the hardware compatible with "Cool Edit Pro", which
I already have?

I can pose these questions to the maker, but if you've actually used
the hardware maybe I'd trust you first

thanks,

Martin

Arny Krueger wrote:
"Martin" wrote in message
oups.com
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rafael Vanoni

You can always get a used Digi 001, there's always a bunch of those
going for U$350-400 on eBay. Comes with ProTools. PCI though, and 6.4
is as far as you'll go version-wise.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Martin

Hmm .. I also downloaded and browsed the 1010LT pdf manual. None of
the examples mention recording/saving all 8 inputs as separate files.
The usage seems to be live mixdown for saving as only two tracks.

What I want to do is capture/record all 8 channels separately. I don't
want to be held to relative amplitude balance decisions made at the
time of performance.

I can't seem to find any information in the manual to verify that this
gear will save all 8 channels individually.

thanks,

Martin

Martin wrote:
Wow, that's quite a capability for $175! I do have one concern,
though. I went to the M-Audio web site to look at the hardware specs,
and noticed that it comes bundled with a software package called
"Abledon Live Lite 5". Reading up on that software, I noted that it
only claims to support 4 audio tracks and 4 midi tracks. In order to
remove that limitation, you must buy a $500 software package.

So, if I buy this hardware, will I be able to record/digitize ALL the
tracks simultaneously using only what I get for $175? Does the Live
Lite 5 limitation only refer to processing?

For that matter, is the hardware compatible with "Cool Edit Pro", which
I already have?

I can pose these questions to the maker, but if you've actually used
the hardware maybe I'd trust you first

thanks,

Martin

Arny Krueger wrote:
"Martin" wrote in message
oups.com
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger

"Martin" wrote in message
oups.com

Wow, that's quite a capability for $175!

Not only that, if you use it right, it even sounds pretty good! ;-)

I do have one
concern, though. I went to the M-Audio web site to look
at the hardware specs, and noticed that it comes bundled
with a software package called "Abledon Live Lite 5".

Abletron is in this case a freebie. IOW its a bit like a free lunch. You
know about free lunches, right?

Reading up on that software, I noted that it only claims
to support 4 audio tracks and 4 midi tracks. In order
to remove that limitation, you must buy a $500 software
package.

OK.

So, if I buy this hardware, will I be able to
record/digitize ALL the tracks simultaneously using only
what I get for $175? Does the Live Lite 5 limitation
only refer to processing?

Yes, if you download a copy of Audacity and use it instead of Abletron. ;-)

For that matter, is the hardware compatible with "Cool
Edit Pro", which I already have?

Very much so. If Delta 1010LTs didn't work well with CEP 2.1 and/or Audition
1.0, I'd be soooooo screwed! ;-)

I can pose these questions to the maker, but if you've
actually used the hardware maybe I'd trust you first

Well, the jury might still be out as to whether I used the hardware or
abused the hardware, but I've definately had my dirty little paws all over
it for well over a year. ;-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger

"Martin" wrote in message
ups.com

Hmm .. I also downloaded and browsed the 1010LT pdf
manual. None of the examples mention recording/saving
all 8 inputs as separate files. The usage seems to be
live mixdown for saving as only two tracks.

Those are just examples that were probably simplified for instructional
purposes.

What I want to do is capture/record all 8 channels
separately. I don't want to be held to relative
amplitude balance decisions made at the time of
performance.

Been there, done that and with a 1010LT. Actually, what I use weekly is a
1010, 2 101LTs, and a Delta 66 in an Athlon 2000+ XP system, for a total of
28 analog channels. I've recorded on them all concurrently, and mixed and
matched subsets of them every which way but loose. This system started out
as a 8 track system with the 1010, and I added channels as need demanded and
available money allowed.

I can't seem to find any information in the manual to
verify that this gear will save all 8 channels
individually.

Making and saving the files is what you have Cool Edit Pro for. ;-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler

"Martin" wrote in message
oups.com...

For that matter, is the hardware compatible with "Cool Edit Pro", which
I already have?

Yes.

Peace,
Paul