Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,rec.audio.pro,comp.os.linux.misc

Default Linux audio

Mark Kent wrote:
begin oe_protect.scr
Jim espoused:
I spotted this in a magazine, and being as there has been recent comment
on Linux audio processing, I thought it apt:

http://64studio.com

OK, it's some guy collecting software that works for him, and making it
commercially viable (via support), but isn't that what GNU/Linux and OSS
is all about? Lemme hear a HELL YEAH!

And that's the bottom line. 'Cos some guy says so!

Excellent!

Excellent?
Hardly.

Tell me Mr. Kent, as you seem to be the expert here, will these Linux
programs work with:

1. Waves Native Powerpack
2. The Grand II
3. Garritan Personal Orchestra and Bigband.
3. Bandstand
4. My UAD card including of course the software effects
5. My MIDIMAN USB MIDI interface, including patch panel.
6 Sub 6msec latency with my RME card.
7. Do the programs offer Latency compensation for outboard effects like
Nuendo?
9 Native Instruments Akoustik Piano.
10. Ivory.
11 DFH
12.Drumagog.
13. Purrfect Drums.

And that is the short list.

Oh yea, all the above work fine even with a $49.95 Windows program
called PowerTracks.

So, will these great Linux programs support the above, which
collectively are about a several thousand dollar investment.

If you can't answer Mr. Kent, possibly Mr. Unruh would like to step up
to the plate.
He seems to go underground all the time after being asked for proof of
his claims.

So?

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,rec.audio.pro,comp.os.linux.misc

I. Care wrote:
In article .com,
says...

Mark Kent wrote:
[...]

Pardon my butting in please.

I found an interesting article a Nokia 770 Linux Internet Tablet
that shows how well Linux works.

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article...21247&from=rss

"The reviewer complains ......... and almost as many crashes as an
unpatched Win98 install."
--
I. Care

I had a Sharp Zaurus that ran Linux and it was by far the WORST POS I
ever owned.
It kept on locking up at all different, unpredictable times.
I had it exchanged 4 times by Sharp before they finally admitted that
it was the Linux OS that was causing all the grief.
To Sharp's credit they refunded my cost in full and I bought a
Blackberry and have never looked back.

I wouldn't trust Linux to record my friends toga party.
Linux just sucks, it really does and no matter how much the Linux
pundits go on whining about how great it is, the fact remains that
despite being free, Linux still has a less than 1 percent market share
for the desktop.
In my mind, that says it all.
Linux is a stinker.

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,rec.audio.pro,comp.os.linux.misc

wrote:
Mark Kent wrote:
[...]

With the exception of Purfect Drums, none of the programs you have
listed will work with Linux AFAIK because they all have some kind of
copy protection and Linux simply can't deal with that.

That being said, I run a small post studio using Nuendo and I have
investigated Linux several times, both by trying it and also asking the
opinions of people that I know have given it a decent try.
My conclusions are that Linux is in its infancy.
The programs are not complete, help systems are terrible and even the
core programs are highly unstable.

As an example I tried Ardour and it would crash at random times for no
reason at all, I'm sure there was a reason, but I couldn't figure it
out.
The plugins were terrible and left a lot of artifacts.
Rosegarden would double trigger notes all the time.
Audacity would lock up constantly.

I finally gave up.

Free programs are great, but not when they consume all my time trying
to get them to function.
My time is certainly not free.

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,rec.audio.pro,comp.os.linux.misc
rapskat

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 17:17:25 -0700, linux.stinks wrote:

I had a Sharp Zaurus that ran Linux and it was by far the WORST POS I
ever owned.
It kept on locking up at all different, unpredictable times.
I had it exchanged 4 times by Sharp before they finally admitted that
it was the Linux OS that was causing all the grief.
To Sharp's credit they refunded my cost in full and I bought a
Blackberry and have never looked back.

Not calling you a liar or anything, but my experiences with the Z were
wholly different. That thing was about as stable as a rock.

I used to love watching videos and movies streamed from my main system
over wifi to my little Z. If what you say were true, then that wouldn't
hardly have been possible, would it?

Comparing a blackberry unit to the Z is like comparing an email station to
a full computer.

--
rapskat - 23:51:08 up 5:21, 1 user, load average: 0.30, 0.29, 0.20
or JFK

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,rec.audio.pro,comp.os.linux.misc
Linonut

After takin' a swig o' grog, belched out this bit o' wisdom:

Excellent?
Hardly.

You really hate rec.audio.pro, don't you?

--
Kreegah! Bundolo Microsoft bolgani!
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,rec.audio.pro,comp.os.linux.misc
Schraalhans Keukenmeester

wrote:
Mark Kent wrote:

[...]

Why do I sense this entire thread (a few well-known and acclaimed
knowledgeable people apart) is a monologue to self by the 'person who
goes by many names ?.

It's a form of conditioning I guess, as soon as an audio & linux related
topic comes up where at least one person throws his (carefully copied)
knowledge on either field into the debate with his typical lack of
diplomacy I just know to skip the remainder of the thread, and also know
the obligatory nymshift list provided by mister P.K. is shortly due....

In other words, taking part in the discussion by tableing different
experiences (in positive sense) with audio/studio software on Linux is
not going to prove very useful I gather.

So by all means, continue your rants & raves, and rapskat, you know
better than to bite don't ya? I just noted a flattering comment on your
expertise in another post in colm.

As far as 'Big Name Brands' in any field are concerned: they are
excellent 'tools' in discussion to sieve the really knowledgeable folks
from the pretenders. B&O sell tons of stuff based on name and image, not
quality.

Sh.

"Happy to use any piece of thin iron wire for digital interlink on his
audiogear..."

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,rec.audio.pro,comp.os.linux.misc
rapskat

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 18:27:01 +0200, Schraalhans Keukenmeester wrote:

So by all means, continue your rants & raves, and rapskat, you know
better than to bite don't ya? I just noted a flattering comment on your
expertise in another post in colm.

Sorry, but dey was dissin da Z, y'know? Can't be havin dat.

--
rapskat - 00:35:22 up 1 day, 6:05, 1 user, load average: 0.54, 0.47, 0.53
bash.org #432 -