Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bible John

Default Digital recorders questions

I have a nice Sony microtape recorder that I paid $40 for in 2003. Would a
$40 digital top this unit, or should I stay with my tape recorder? I bought
it in 2003, and its been useful for recording lectures in school. The tapes
seem to play okay, not crystal clear, but okay. I'm sure for better audio,
I would need to buy the Sony model with the external mic port. My model has
a counter, but no mic out port.

I might be returnign back to school, so perhaps I may want to buy a new tape
recorder, or a digital. I do like tapes, because they can be archived, and
since i am using a Mac, no digital unit in my price range will talk with it.
meaning I cannot archive lectures.

If you were me, would you juist stay with tapes? I hear that the FBI, and
many law enforcement places, still use tapes for interigation, and have not
for a number of reasons moved to digital. Perhaps I am better off on tapes.
What do yo say?

John

--
1 Pet 3:15-But sanctify the Lord God[a] in your hearts, and always be ready
to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Crowley

"Bible John" wrote ...
I have a nice Sony microtape recorder that I paid $40
for in 2003. Would a $40 digital top this unit, or should
I stay with my tape recorder? ....

...I do like tapes, because they can be archived, and
since i am using a Mac, no digital unit in my price range
will talk with it. meaning I cannot archive lectures.

Unclear what Mac vs. PC has to do with anything?

Perhaps I am better off on tapes.
What do yo say?

Stick with tapes. But beware that one of these days
supply of blank tapes will diminish and disappear
as digital overtakes the market. No digital recorder
can match the cost and convienence of the media.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bible John

--
1 Pet 3:15-But sanctify the Lord God[a] in your hearts, and always be ready
to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in
you, with meekness and fear
CERM-Church Education Resource Ministries
Founder and director
http://johnw.freeshell.org/bible
"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
"Bible John" wrote ...
I have a nice Sony microtape recorder that I paid $40 for in 2003. Would a
$40 digital top this unit, or should
I stay with my tape recorder? ....

...I do like tapes, because they can be archived, and since i am using a
Mac, no digital unit in my price range will talk with it. meaning I
cannot archive lectures.

Unclear what Mac vs. PC has to do with anything?

Perhaps I am better off on tapes. What do yo say?

Stick with tapes. But beware that one of these days
supply of blank tapes will diminish and disappear
as digital overtakes the market. No digital recorder
can match the cost and convienence of the media.

Odd. I see tapes beign sold at every Target, Walmart, Kmart, Longs, Rite
aid,etc.. I've been all over California (my home state) and have done
traveling in the south, and northeast.

It seems to me that plenty of people need tapes, or there would not be so
many of them. But then again, perhaps you think that banks, and large
corporations, should dump their tape backup drives, and start using USB
flash, or CD.

Perhaps all the banks and large corporations are technically challenged, and
need to dump their tapes at once. Cant you fit 100GB's on a DVD?

John

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Crowley

"Bible John" wrote...
"Richard Crowley" wrote ...
"Bible John" wrote ...
[...]

I'm just saying that we can almost see the end-of-days
for those mini tape formats as digital devices take over.

Witness, for example, the death of DAT. Yes, there are
still lots of places to buy DAT tapes, but no DAT machines
have been made in several years, and you can't even get
most of them repaired any more (at least not at an expense
in proportion to what they are worth). The professional
users of the DAT format are rapidly replacing them with
hard-drive based portable recorders, etc, as the DAT
equipment dies.

When most of the equipment dies and is not replaced or
repaired, the market for the tapes will dry up and nobody
will make/sell them anymore. Same with any other format
(including your mini-tape recorder and mine, too).

But then again, perhaps you think that banks, and large
corporations, should dump their tape backup drives,
and start using USB flash, or CD.

Perhaps all the banks and large corporations are technically
challenged, and need to dump their tapes at once. Cant
you fit 100GB's on a DVD?

You have me confused with someone else. I am the one
who claims that 99% of the planet's most valuable data
is (and will continue to be) backed-up and archived on
digital tape.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bible John

Hey Richard I wonder how retail stores and law enforcement would work
without tapes? I am aware that nearly every retail store in the country,
and every 711 use tapes to record their stores.

I am also aware that law enforcement use tapes for interrogation. Richard I
do watch Court TV, and I have called some makers of high end tape recorders
(which can record like 10 hours on a micrcassette). They tell me that
plenty of FBI and law enforcement people buy their tape recorders.

Richard I am not saying you are wrong, but I think tapes will be around for
sometime to come. Unless of coarse someone can have all these places swithc
to DVD and CD.

John

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Crowley

"Bible John" wrote ...
Hey Richard I wonder how retail stores and law enforcement would work
without tapes? I am aware that nearly every retail store in the
country, and every 711 use tapes to record their stores.

I am also aware that law enforcement use tapes for interrogation.
Richard I do watch Court TV, and I have called some makers of high end
tape recorders (which can record like 10 hours on a micrcassette).
They tell me that plenty of FBI and law enforcement people buy their
tape recorders.

Richard I am not saying you are wrong, but I think tapes will be
around for sometime to come. Unless of coarse someone can have all
these places swithc to DVD and CD.

I didn't say "tapes" would not be around for a long time.
I said "micro audio tapes" like in your "Sony microtape
recorder" are becoming a dying breed (like DAT).

I also said that I actually prefer the microtape format
over what is replacing it (digital gadgets) because of
the low cost and convienence of removing and storing
the microtapes. No equivalent in the digital world
(at least yet.)

I think you have me confused with someone else.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

Bible John wrote:

Stick with tapes. But beware that one of these days
supply of blank tapes will diminish and disappear
as digital overtakes the market. No digital recorder
can match the cost and convienence of the media.

Odd. I see tapes beign sold at every Target, Walmart, Kmart, Longs, Rite
aid,etc.. I've been all over California (my home state) and have done
traveling in the south, and northeast.

Right. But they are a lot less common than they were five years ago. In
another five years, they may not be around.

I will say that I have tried the handheld Olympus recorder, which a friend
is using as his church for quick and dirty archives of spoken word events.
I think the sound quality is worse than that of the microcassette. It uses
some odd 4-bit nonlinear encoding internally that is definitely a lot worse
than the usual 8-bit uLaw telephone quality.

The ability to rapidly suck them into a workstation almost instantly and
upsample them for storage is a huge advantage for him, though. Microcassettes
would have to be copied in realtime.

Of course, if this is for a classroom lecture, maybe having to copy them in
realtime and listen to them over in the process might be an advantage rather
than a disadvantage.

Perhaps all the banks and large corporations are technically challenged, and
need to dump their tapes at once. Cant you fit 100GB's on a DVD?

There's a big difference between DLT and microcassette.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

Bible John wrote:
Hey Richard I wonder how retail stores and law enforcement would work
without tapes? I am aware that nearly every retail store in the country,
and every 711 use tapes to record their stores.

Those are VHS tapes, no relation to microcassette. And they are actually
going away... a lot of those retail stores are going to low-frame-rate
digital video recorders because the recorder can be placed at a remote
location.

The other big advantage is that it's very easy to zoom through the digital
footage very quickly. Not only can the stuff be used for security purposes,
but with some fairly simple pattern recognition stuff it can be used to count
people in the store and show where they go, which can provide valuable data
for the marketing people and the folks who lay the shelves out.

These abilities are pretty much killing single-frame VHS machines for security
installs these days.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bible John

Richard micro tapes and recorders are available everywhere. Where do you
live at? Cant you go visit a store and see for yourself?

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bible John

--
"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Bible John wrote:
Hey Richard I wonder how retail stores and law enforcement would work
without tapes? I am aware that nearly every retail store in the country,
and every 711 use tapes to record their stores.

Those are VHS tapes, no relation to microcassette. And they are actually
going away... a lot of those retail stores are going to low-frame-rate
digital video recorders because the recorder can be placed at a remote
location.

500 million stores are doign this?

The other big advantage is that it's very easy to zoom through the digital
footage very quickly. Not only can the stuff be used for security
purposes,
but with some fairly simple pattern recognition stuff it can be used to
count
people in the store and show where they go, which can provide valuable
data
for the marketing people and the folks who lay the shelves out.

These abilities are pretty much killing single-frame VHS machines for
security
installs these days.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bible John

I agree 100% and perhaps this is why law enforcement and many others
continue to use tape. Richard believes that micro tape will die, but I
doubt Richard has visited his local Walmart, nor any other store in the last
year.

By the way what security are you talking about?
--
1 Pet 3:15-But sanctify the Lord God[a] in your hearts, and always be ready
to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in
you, with meekness and fear
CERM-Church Education Resource Ministries
Founder and director
http://johnw.freeshell.org/bible
news

On 2006-04-16 said:
THere's a security they get with tapes they won't get with
other media. WHen you've gotit, you've got it. nO
guesswork if he doesn't find its header.

Richard I am not saying you are wrong, but I think tapes will be
around for sometime to come. Unless of coarse someone can have all
these places swithc to DVD and CD.

I'm going to be picking up one of those old cassette
recorders from the Shack that they used to sell for their
data storage and backup for the trs-80 and other machines.
WHy? I I want to hook it up to my high frequency
transceiver for capture of items off the air.
I have plenty of tapes, I recycle magazines recorded on tape
and use them for off air capture. Yah yah, I could get one
of these flash recorders but what am I going to put the
material on if I really want to keep it and be able to play
it in 15 years? I know I can play 15 year old magnetic
tape, been there done it. I'm not sure in 15-20 years we'll
still be using flash or whatever whiz bang they're selling
me today.

Richard webb,
Electric Spider Productions
Replace anything before the @ symbol with elspider for real
email address.

Amazing how much tape is on a 10" reel when it's not.

Posted to rec.audio.pro