Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default good lavalier that terminates in 1/8"

I have a portable digital recorder that accepts 1/8" inputs. I want to
use it with a good lavalier microphone for personal recordings, but all
the 1/8" terminating ones that I could find (from relatively
respectable vendors) are either omnidirectional with really cheapo
sound to noise ratios, or so cheap that you just know they're toys. I
want to get one like the shure WL184 and WL185, but all the better ones
terminate in the 4pin mini connectors or the mini-XLR 5 pin connectors.
Those connections are for bodypacks for wireless systems, but I don't
need to go wireless as the recorder is right in my pocket. I'm pretty
sure I'm not the only person who might have needed something like
this...but right now I'm a bit confused...are there mini transformers
for something like this ... or another alternative? I've done some
recording, setups, and mostly digital editing as an avocation, but I
know that by putting something bad in the loop I'll just be adding hum
and other unpleasantries...I'd appreciate any help for somebody who'd
know how to do something like this...so basically any good lavalier
setup that can record to a 1/8" input...thanks

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Crowley

ActionNotMotion wrote ...
I have a portable digital recorder that accepts 1/8" inputs. I want to
use it with a good lavalier microphone for personal recordings,

Replied on rec.audio.tech

(Hint: cross-posting a question like this to both r.a.t
and r.a.p is a Good Thing)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JReynolds

On the shure lavs, pin 1 of that connector is ground, pin 2 is +5V DC
relative to pin 1, and pins 3 and 4 are audio (unbalanced, just using 2
pins to carry the same signal).
You could definitely rig a homebrew adapter with pin 1 running to the
tip of your 1/8", pin 3 and 4 tied together to the ring. If you want
to use a transformer to balance the signal in, that would be fine, but
I don't think it's necessary.
Just get an enclosure for 4 AA batteries, a 5V voltage regulator
(referenced again against the same ground), and tie that to pin 2 and
you are done!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

wrote:
I have a portable digital recorder that accepts 1/8" inputs. I want to
use it with a good lavalier microphone for personal recordings, but all
the 1/8" terminating ones that I could find (from relatively
respectable vendors) are either omnidirectional with really cheapo
sound to noise ratios, or so cheap that you just know they're toys. I
want to get one like the shure WL184 and WL185, but all the better ones
terminate in the 4pin mini connectors or the mini-XLR 5 pin connectors.

So, order them with bare lugs and solder a 1/8" plug on them. Or ask your
local TV repair shop to solder it for you.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

Scott Dorsey wrote:

want to get one like the shure WL184 and WL185, but all the better ones
terminate in the 4pin mini connectors or the mini-XLR 5 pin connectors.

So, order them with bare lugs and solder a 1/8" plug on them. Or ask your
local TV repair shop to solder it for you.

It would require a little more than soldering an 1/8" plug on to the
leads. I suppose if the recorder has 5V powering at its jacks and the
impedance is high enoug at that point, you could fit a capacitor
between the audio terminal of the mic and the tip of an 1/8" plug.
Probably there'd be room in a mini XLR.

I guess that works. And does anyone really repair TVs any more? They're
kind of like computers - you can't wait for them to break so you have
an excuse to get a bigger one.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Crowley

"Mike Rivers" wrote ...
It would require a little more than soldering an
1/8" plug on to the leads. I suppose if the recorder
has 5V powering at its jacks and the impedance is
high enoug at that point, you could fit a capacitor
between the audio terminal of the mic and the tip
of an 1/8" plug. Probably there'd be room in a mini XLR.

Most consumer devices with 1/8" mic inputs supply
electret "bias" voltage DC coupled right into the
audio path(s). For example most camcorders, the
M-Audio MT2496, etc. It is likely a matter of just
soldering the appropriate wire(s) to the connector.

Alas, the OP did not disclose exactly which recorder
he is inquiring about, leaving us to wild speculation.

I guess that works. And does anyone really repair
TVs any more? They're kind of like computers - you
can't wait for them to break so you have an excuse
to get a bigger one.

When was the last time anybody saw a tube tester in
a consumer store anywhere? :-)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
William Sommerwerck

I have a pair of University Attaché dynamic cardioid lavalier mics -- about
40 years old! -- with 1/8" plugs on them. They're in near-perfect condition,
in their original leatherette-covered boxes, complete with neck thingies and
stand adaptors. Though they have a fairly wide, flat response, they are more
voice than music mics. $100 (including shipping) takes them.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Thank you so much for all your answers...you definitely gave me
directions in which to go. As to the cross post: from
groups.google.com i noticed that if I post the ORIGINAL question to two
different groups any reply would be sent to both questions in both
posts...so that would undo the non-niceness of people giving answers
unknowing what others had typed. If I would post this to 30 groups at
once then i'd get it, but I just did it to 2 or 3, because I didn't
know what the response would be: it was really great, so I'll never do
it more than 2 when I do it in these groups...thanks again.