Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default 300L should I or not

Hello.

I have a decent Protools LE with the 002 rack, Waves Platinum, quality
mics, amp. speakers, mic pre's etc... good pro stuff that makes me
decent money. I use it in my post-production studio doing everything
from voice-overs, to training videos, to Jazz records (solo to
quartet). Wanting something with a bit of oomph, I have used 480L's
in the past(cant really afford today), some of the AMS units, Eventide,
etc. but I want to own something that I will use somewhat often. I
feel that the 300L routed from a pair of the 002 sends, I can then take
advantage of its mastering capabilits, and reverbs (sounds). Will this
unit be overly noisy, perhaps a silly way to spend a couple of thousand
dollars....... since I do not have the opportunity to play with one for
a week before I buy it (I am in Toronto Canada) a bit of ecperienced
advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Regards,
Warren

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JReynolds

I honestly wouldn't buy one of these units simply because I have seen
so many of them broken in studios. The software seems to be really
unstable, and while the programs sound amazing, I think your money
would be better spent on a plugin like ReVibe or the Waves TrueVerb.
Even if you have to get a powercore or some other firewire DSP farm
unit, I think you will be much better served and have more uptime.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

thanks gentlemen. So 1=ok use it for reverbs, the other = keep clear.
Well I have the Waves Diamond bundle so have those reverbs, Powercore
II card does not work on a dual 1.8 G5, and the firewire rack unit can
be temperamental with (2)2476, (2) classic EQ, and (1) classic reverb
stopping the entire system 100%. So The logic of me wanting the 300L
is somewhat ego, familiarity with the 408L from my use of them in the
last 80's and 90's, AND the ability to sit away from my
monitors/console and have the remote to fuss with for mastering. Is
the mastering really that much of a pain in the butt, or is it just
really a case of learning yet another programme????? Or just go with
plug-ins, do it in Protools till I get more $$ to do it with a CEDAR???
Thank you.
warren