Posted to rec.audio.misc
monar@work

Default WAVE info

Hi,

I need help to read file information contained in WAVE file (such as
artist, track, author, genre, year etc.)...not in file name, but in
file. I tried with cool edit, but it cant read all of the information. I
don't even know how are these information called (mp3 has ID3), so i
have problems with query in google, cause i don't know what to look for.

Help please

thnx
Posted to rec.audio.misc
jcon

monar@work wrote:
Hi,

I need help to read file information contained in WAVE file (such as
artist, track, author, genre, year etc.)...not in file name, but in
file. I tried with cool edit, but it cant read all of the information. I
don't even know how are these information called (mp3 has ID3), so i
have problems with query in google, cause i don't know what to look for.

Help please

thnx

WAV files have a 44 byte header that
contains everything you need to know about how the file
was encoded, but has no extra room for tagging information:
http://www.neurotraces.com/scilab/scilab2/node24.html

I'm not sure of your application, but I can't think of a logical
reason to tag WAV files. There are a number lossless compression
formats out there with far more sophisticated tagging
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lossles...io_compression
that will save you at least some disk space.

If, on the other hand, you're trying to get information from existing
WAV files, I'm afraid you're SOL.

-jc

Sorry,
jc

Posted to rec.audio.misc
monar@work

jcon wrote:

If, on the other hand, you're trying to get information from existing
WAV files, I'm afraid you're SOL.

Thanks ...i have this "other hand"
Posted to rec.audio.misc
jcon

monar@work wrote:
jcon wrote:

If, on the other hand, you're trying to get information from existing
WAV files, I'm afraid you're SOL.

Thanks ...i have this "other hand"

WAV files are a subset of the generic "RIFF" format, which was
introduced in 1991. At that time, the 30-50 MByte length of a typical
song was bigger than the typical hard drive, and if people had a
connection at all, it was probably a 9600 baud modem. It
was certainly a stretch to envision a time when someone
could just "stumble across" such a file and not know what it was.

This makes it all the more impressive that the AIFF format,
which was developed six years earlier *did* have fields
that could be used for tagging.

Three guesses which company developed WAVE and which
developed AIFF

-jc