Posted to rec.audio.car
Tony F

Default Amplified Thunderform Question

Just got an vehcile-specific amplified MTX Thunderform (with a single
12-inch sub) for my '06 Mustang. I'm getting conflicting information from
my retailer and MTX. The setup comes with a dash-mounted EBC (Electronic
Bass Control) knob. My retailer told me that this knob is NOT an
attenuator, but a frequency specific bass booster (like 40Hz for example).
So my retailer sold me a Peripheral RCA line-level dash-mounted attenuator,
which should work just fine. However, I called MTX tech support and was
told that the EBC is NOT a frequency specific bass boost, but is indeed a
"volume" knob...which is exactly what I want. (so I would obviously NOT
need the Peripheral device)

So before I go ripping my car apart, I wanted to know if any of you guys out
there know from first-hand experience. Is the EBC knob a volume controller,
or a frequency-specific bass boost? I'm inclined to believe MTX over my
retailer, but my install is going to be quite lengthy as it is, so I was
hoping to get this issue resolved BEFORE I begin...and also order the
appropriate cables (or lack thereof).

Thanks!

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Clarion DRZ9255 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and Xenon X1200.1

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP Head Unit, Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 Amp, Focal 165HC
Speakers & Image Dynamics ID8 D4 v.3 Sub

2006 Mustang GT Coupe

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy

It's just a external gain knob

In article , "Tony F"
wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Tony F

Thanks, Cpt. Are you 100% certain? Because my system planning is dependent
on how many RCA cables I get, which I'll be ordering online. If I don't get
enough, then it'll put a several-day delay on the install once I get
started.

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Clarion DRZ9255 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and Xenon X1200.1
Amplifiers, Dynaudio System 360 Tri-Amped In Front and Focal 130HCs For Rear
Fill, Image Dynamics IDMAX10 D4 v.3 Sub

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP Head Unit, Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 Amp, Focal 165HC
Speakers & Image Dynamics ID8 D4 v.3 Sub

2006 Mustang GT Coupe

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy

Tony, I can't see it working different then their normal amplifiers. The whole
idea of the ebc is to work as a valume control, having a knob that changes
frequency does not make sense, since the x-over is a one time setup for most
people.

In article , "Tony F"
wrote:
Thanks, Cpt. Are you 100% certain? Because my system planning is dependent
on how many RCA cables I get, which I'll be ordering online. If I don't get
enough, then it'll put a several-day delay on the install once I get
started.

Tony

Posted to rec.audio.car
Tony F

I understand your line of thinking, and I agree with you that it wouldn't
make sense for the knob to do this - I was just hoping to hear from someone
with first-hand experience. My retailer confused me by telling me what he
did & I just wanted to be certain before I ordered cables.

Anyway, I didn't say that the knob CHANGED the frequency, but that it
boosted a specific frequency, rather than boosting all frequencies (like a
volume control). My Phoenix Gold amps have a bass boost knob at 45Hz & was
hoping the EBC wasn't a dash-mounted version of the same thing.

I appreciate your input, Cpt.

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Clarion DRZ9255 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and Xenon X1200.1
Amplifiers, Dynaudio System 360 Tri-Amped In Front and Focal 130HCs For Rear
Fill, Image Dynamics IDMAX10 D4 v.3 Sub

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP Head Unit, Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 Amp, Focal 165HC
Speakers & Image Dynamics ID8 D4 v.3 Sub

2006 Mustang GT Coupe

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

Tony, I can't see it working different then their normal amplifiers. The
whole
idea of the ebc is to work as a valume control, having a knob that changes
frequency does not make sense, since the x-over is a one time setup for
most
people.

Yes, but that IS how Fosgate amps work. It IS NOT a remote volume control,
it is a bass tone control centered at 45Hz. I don't know about the amps you
and Tony are talking about, but a remote tone control is not uncommon.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy

Since you guys ain't happy unless you see it written somewhere
http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/FAQ/

In article , (Captain
Howdy) wrote:
It's just a external gain knob

Posted to rec.audio.car
Tony F

Thanks, Cpt. Yes, I've read this before. My only concern was that my local
retailer specifically told me that it was a bass boost controller. Thanks
so much for looking that up!!

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Clarion DRZ9255 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and Xenon X1200.1
Amplifiers, Dynaudio System 360 Tri-Amped In Front and Focal 130HCs For Rear
Fill, Image Dynamics IDMAX10 D4 v.3 Sub

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP Head Unit, Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 Amp, Focal 165HC
Speakers & Image Dynamics ID8 D4 v.3 Sub

2006 Mustang GT Coupe

Posted to rec.audio.car
FasDeth

Tony F wrote:
[...]

Is indeed a volume controller.. I have one in my car.. Works great..
Most of the MTX amps have a boost control.. But not by remote..
FasDeth