Posted to rec.audio.misc

Default PAT-5 Preamp: Which Phono Input To Use?

My phono cartridge is an AudioTechnica MG-35V. The phono inputs on the
Dynaco PAT-5 are labelled "1" and "2"; I don't have the user manual for
the PAT-5; and I don't know which one is the high and which one is the
low impedance imput. I've swapped the connectors back and forth,
listening for any difference, but it is hard to A-B them because you
have to rotate the front panel switch, too. Which one is the high
impedance, which one is the low impedance, and to which one should I
connect the MG-35V cartridge?

Posted to rec.audio.misc
Arny Krueger

wrote in message
ups.com

My phono cartridge is an AudioTechnica MG-35V. The phono
inputs on the Dynaco PAT-5 are labelled "1" and "2"; I
don't have the user manual for the PAT-5; and I don't
know which one is the high and which one is the low
impedance imput.

I have a schemtic of the PAT-5 right here before me. The phono inputs are
both the same.

I've swapped the connectors back and
forth, listening for any difference, but it is hard to
A-B them because you have to rotate the front panel
switch, too.

There's no difference to hear unless the input selector switch is broken.

Which one is the high impedance, which one
is the low impedance,

They are both the same.

and to which one should I connect the MG-35V cartridge?

Either one - they are the same.

Posted to rec.audio.misc

Thanks, Arny. Maybe that is why they both sounded the same! I had
some specs from another website that said one was high and one was low
impedance. Hey, I thought everything you read on the internet is true!
I'm terribly disillusioned!

Posted to rec.audio.misc

Thanks, Arny. Maybe that is why they both sounded the same! I had
some specs from another website that said one was high and one was low
impedance. Hey, I thought everything you read on the internet is true!
I'm terribly disillusioned!

So I swapped out a PAT-4 in my main DAW for the PAT-5, and am using the
PAT-4 in my home theatre system instead. So hows come that, although
the PAT-5 has fancy features such as speaker switching, an effects
insertion point and tone control override, it doesn't have loudness
compensation? I always liked to use the loudness compensation on the
PAT-4.