Posted to rec.audio.car

Default Amp suggestions

Please help me decide which company makes better amps.

Alpine
Pioneer
Sony (Xplod series)

Thanks a watt. ---was that too corney

Posted to rec.audio.car
Tony F

That's kinda like asking, "Who makes better cars?" You can imagine watt
kind of response you'd get. Same thing for the amp question.

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Clarion DRZ9255 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and Xenon X1200.1

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP Head Unit, Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 Amp, Focal 165HC
Speakers & Image Dynamics ID8 D4 v.3 Sub

2006 Mustang GT Coupe

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

I agree with Tony, if you ask that question of 10 of us, you will get 10
different opinions. In particular, with amps it really doesn't make much
difference as far as sound quality (now reliability can be a different
matter). Watt does this mean? A watt is a watt, period.

All those companies you named have solid track records for producing
reliable products, so reliability really doesn't come into play as it would
for "swap-meet" type amps. My advice to you would be to try and find the
best deal you can (dollars per watt) from a reliable manufacturer.

So watt's-out for good deals, and remember to volt in November!

MOSFET

"t" wrote in message
Please help me decide which company makes better amps.

Alpine
Pioneer
Sony (Xplod series)

Thanks a watt. ---was that too corney

Posted to rec.audio.car
Cyrus

In article ,
"MOSFET" wrote:

I agree with Tony, if you ask that question of 10 of us, you will get 10
different opinions. In particular, with amps it really doesn't make much
difference as far as sound quality (now reliability can be a different
matter). Watt does this mean? A watt is a watt, period.

IMO Some can sound worse than others. Installed transducers can have
more influence on sound rather than amplification, however.

"t" wrote in message
Please help me decide which company makes better amps.

Alpine
Pioneer
Sony (Xplod series)

Thanks a watt. ---was that too corney

--
Cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*

Posted to rec.audio.car

I was just trying to get some personal opinions. I feel that Pioneers build
their amps on the silky side (high frequency rolled off) and the Sony's are
usually agressive and sharp. However, I'm not crazy about the build quality
of the Sonys. Do you guys agree?

I haven't had any experience with Alpine. Also, I can't seem to find any
dealers that will have these 3 amps listenable. They usually have one or the
other.

Amp-out my capacitor brothers!

and remember to volt in November!

That's a good one.

news

"t" wrote in message
Please help me decide which company makes better amps.

Alpine
Pioneer
Sony (Xplod series)

Thanks a watt. ---was that too corney

Posted to rec.audio.car
Brandonb

The shop I frequent here in Iowa has all 3 brands. There have been some
arguments over Sony's build-quality ni the past. Some say there have
been a huge amount of returns, while others say that was because of user
error and running them outside of their limits. My opinion is that even
with user error, if they are that quirky, there are a LOT of other amps
with the same power for the same price available that are not so easily
harmed. Other than that, you're basically looking at built-in features
like crossovers and such. What makes the amps seem "silky" or "agressive
and sharp" are usually just these controls adjusting and attenuating
frequencies on the amp than the actual amplification part. If you have a
newer Alpine head unit, the Alpine would probably be the best way to go
of the three, simply because they have built in a lot of
interoperability between the HU and amp for x-over and time correction
and other features, such as amp temp, diags and such.

Brandonb

t wrote:
I was just trying to get some personal opinions. I feel that Pioneers build
their amps on the silky side (high frequency rolled off) and the Sony's are
usually agressive and sharp. However, I'm not crazy about the build quality
of the Sonys. Do you guys agree?

I haven't had any experience with Alpine. Also, I can't seem to find any
dealers that will have these 3 amps listenable. They usually have one or the
other.

Amp-out my capacitor brothers!

Posted to rec.audio.car
Cyrus

In article ,
Brandonb wrote:

[...]

Not to mention 'aggressive and sharp' is a function of overloading
inputs to an amplifier via gain knobs.

--
Cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*

Posted to rec.audio.car
gonpi

thera are no such thing like : the best of anything....

If you want to buy a good amplifier you have to to learn some specs and
what those mean.

by the way, check for build details, like Speaker terminals, power
terminals, if the amp looks cheap.

The only way to know if an amplifier is a good amplifier is to hear it
with the speaker of your choice, but i'll stay away from brands like
Sony, alpine, sondstream, audiobahn,ma audio, planet audio, pioneer,
boss, DB drive, Quantum, Rockford fosgate,etc.

And i will stay with Zapco, JL Audio, DLS, Lunar, TRU technologies,
Memphis The M class line.

Gonpi

Posted to rec.audio.car

Dude, you're stay away from alpine and rockford???? and instead stick with
zapco, Lunar and DLS???? I think the only ones above Alpine and Rockford
would be the Mcintosh and Mark Levinsons.

ps.com...