Posted to rec.audio.car
Louis

Default VW 6 CD Changer Doesnt work

Hi,

I've just bought my first car - a 2003 Polo. It came with a factory fit VW
Beta cassette/radio.

I bought a indash VW 6 cd changer off ebay and I installled it this morning.
I know nothing about cars but I feel that I did an adequate job installing
it (it was simply removing radio/controller unit (whatever its called) +
shelf beneath and plugging in CD Changer).

My problem is that when I press CD on the head unit - I get a message saying
"CD Error". The CD Changer will not accept any cds I put in, once I put one
on the 'ledge' and press load, it actually ejects it. The red light above 1
(i.e. cd tray 1) is constantly lit. When I press the cd all the way in
manually and try to load it, again it ejects.

I do not have the manual for it so I do not know how to resolve the
problem - please could anybody be helpful enough to assist me?

If it helps -I have found links to two ebay auctions that are of my
components. Neither of these are my auctions they are examples of what I
have in my car.

radio/controller unit -
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLKSWAGON-GOL...ayphotohosting

cd changer -
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/vw-in-dash-cd-...ayphotohosting

Thanks for reading

Louis

Posted to rec.audio.car
RG

VW products have a certain amount of control over the factory radio via the
ECU (OBDII electronic control unit or computer) and CAN-BUS system.
Depending on the model quite often the ECU has to be programmed to let it
know that there is a CD player hooked up to the factory head unit. This can
be done by the dealer or by yourself if you have a VAG-com. Whether your
Polo has this system I don't know. But I would ask a dealer.

-RG