Posted to rec.audio.misc
jimbo

Default New Speakers?? or Keep Old Ones??

I have a pair of New Advent speakers that date to August 1977. They
are about 12 inches square by about two feet high. They are in
excellent condition but I would like to update to something smaller
for casual radio, CD and cassette listening. I have done a little
research and am overwhelmed by the current speaker choices. My budget
is up to about $250 for a pair. I have looked at Klipsch SB-2, JBL
N24, JBL N26, Wharfedale Diamond 8.1, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and
Athena AS-B1. All are in my price range and all are bookshelf
speakers. There are probably many, many more that are similar.

I would appreciate some advice on my plan to get rid of the old New
Advent speakers and on choices for new bookshelf speakers.

Thanks, jimbo
Posted to rec.audio.misc
I Love Edsels

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 15:12:27 -0700, jimbo wrote:

I have a pair of New Advent speakers that date to August 1977. They
are about 12 inches square by about two feet high. They are in
excellent condition but I would like to update to something smaller
for casual radio, CD and cassette listening. I have done a little
research and am overwhelmed by the current speaker choices. My budget
is up to about $250 for a pair. I have looked at Klipsch SB-2, JBL
N24, JBL N26, Wharfedale Diamond 8.1, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and
Athena AS-B1. All are in my price range and all are bookshelf
speakers. There are probably many, many more that are similar.

I would appreciate some advice on my plan to get rid of the old New
Advent speakers and on choices for new bookshelf speakers.

Thanks, jimbo

Absolutely, absolutely keep the old speakers!!!
Buy new ones, or don't, but KEEP THE OLD ONES!!
Posted to rec.audio.misc
Mark D

Jimbo, You'd probably have a very hard time finding a new speaker today
that will out-perform those Advents for the $$$ you wish to spend.

There's many wonderful Mini-Monitors being produced today, but most will
easily exceed your target cost. take the Pro-Ac I SC as an example.

On the used market, you might be able to find something that are newer,
in good condition and will be a decent monitor, something like maybe the
small JBL S-38 Monitor? Mark