Michael Volow

Default Recc: standalone CD recorders for xfer fr/vinyl

I have several vinyl LPs that have not been reissued on CD. I would like to
preserve them on audio CD. Since there are several, I'd prefer not to drag
the amplifier and turntable downstairs to the computer for each transfer.
Plus I don't think computer sound systems are the greatest for the transfer.

This leads me to consider a standalone CD recorder which I could hook to my
component stereo system and record to CD just like I would to a cassette
tape.

Does anyone in this group have any experience with such CD recorders. Ones I
have seen in Circuit City have 2 CD drives, one a reader and one a
reader/recorder. I would assume that most can record from external audio
sources as well, such as a phono or tuner, etc.

Any recommendation about this strategy for capturing vinyl, for particular
CD recorder models, prices for a good one, any other relevant info would be
appreciated. Thanks

TCS

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 16:03:13 -0500, Michael Volow wrote:
[...]

Do you have the option of running wiring to the computer?
Once in the digital domain, there isn't signal degragation. 30' of USB is
pushing the limit, but 50' for a run of RG58 to carry s/pdif is no problem
at all.

My solution was to permanently move the turntable to the computer. It is
physically isolated from the computer. Next to it are a phono preamp, passive
switchbox that I use only for setting the record level so I don't overload
the a/d, and an a/d converter connected to the computer with an optical cable.
Total cost for the a/d, s/pdif sound card, and optical I/O for the sound
card was under $230.

tiger0018

"Michael Volow" wrote in message ...
This leads me to consider a standalone CD recorder which I could hook to my
component stereo system and record to CD just like I would to a cassette
tape.

I bought my Philips 765 shortly after it was released as a comsumer
electronics product (it actually had been in existance long before
that, in Canada & Europe). At the time, it cost me $700. Now the price
of a standalone is around 299. I love the Philips, perhaps only
because they were the innovators of the standalone recorder.
This is a dual deck (Play, Play/Rec), and the manual is kinda vague in
spots... I learned the tricks by experimentation. Your best bet,
should you purchase one, is to stock up on rewritable CDs, and buy
only high grade music CD blanks. Don't get a stack of CD's, they suck.
Do all your dubbing onto the rewritables. The reason is obvious: Make
mistake? Skip in track 3? Erase it. Or just keep recording, in a new
track. After you've recorded all you need on the rewritable, finalize
it, then move it to the playback deck & pop in a blank CD for
recording. Review and WRITE DOWN the contents of the rewritable,
numbering each track. Next, program the deck to play only those tracks
you wish to preserve. (ie: trks 1, 3, 5, 6, 9 etc).
On my Philips, I then press the 'dubb' button twice until the display
says 'dubb-1'. This way, it will record the program you just set up,
and will do it at 4X normal speed (less time to wait, but it still
takes time....)
It will not begin recording until you hit the Play button. After
everything's been recorded, check the CD with playback to look for
errors. (Actually, this should have been done while playing back your
rewritable, but that only insures you that the rewritable is in good
standing.... you absolutely CANNOT predict if the CD blank will have
an error in it...*sigh* Exasperating, I know, but it's the nature of
the beast...
Ok I've waxed eternal. Good luck to you. Archiving rocks!
Ciao....
Moose

I have the Marantz CDR300 CD Recorder which I record live audio to but
it will also serve your purposes well. It is portable and a battery
pack is available as well. I got it for about $500 on eBay.

....Moose