Posted to rec.audio.car
Jason Halsey

Default Easy changer question

Hey all,
Just installed a changer in my car, and the wiring told me to wire the
power to a constant hot. This of course permits the changer to function
when the car is off, at least to eject the discs. Question is will this
drain my battery or am i safe? My gut thinking is that I am ok as long
as it isnt constantly ejecting, but not sure.
thanks
jason
Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion

Jason Halsey wrote:
Hey all,
Just installed a changer in my car, and the wiring told me to wire the
power to a constant hot. This of course permits the changer to function
when the car is off, at least to eject the discs. Question is will this
drain my battery or am i safe? My gut thinking is that I am ok as long
as it isnt constantly ejecting, but not sure.
thanks

It's been a few years since I installed a changer, but it seems to me
all of them I ever did install had both constant and switched power
feeds for exactly that purpose.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0606-4, 02/10/2006
Tested on: 2/11/2006 5:57:43 PM

Posted to rec.audio.car
Jason Halsey

Matt Ion wrote:
Jason Halsey wrote:
Hey all,
Just installed a changer in my car, and the wiring told me to wire the
power to a constant hot. This of course permits the changer to
function when the car is off, at least to eject the discs. Question is
will this drain my battery or am i safe? My gut thinking is that I am
ok as long as it isnt constantly ejecting, but not sure.
thanks

It's been a few years since I installed a changer, but it seems to me
all of them I ever did install had both constant and switched power
feeds for exactly that purpose.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0606-4, 02/10/2006
Tested on: 2/11/2006 5:57:43 PM

Nope. Just the one feed. Two to the head unit though. Only constant
power and a ground to the changer, in addition to the bus cable of course.
thanks for the reply Matt.
Any other thoughts out there?
Jason
Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion

Jason Halsey wrote:
Matt Ion wrote:

Jason Halsey wrote:

[...]

My guess then would be that the bus cable includes something similar in
function to a remote-turnon to fully power up the changer when the
system is on, leaving constant power there to allow you to eject with
the system off.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0606-4, 02/10/2006
Tested on: 2/12/2006 11:28:35 AM

Posted to rec.audio.car
Brandonb

My Alpine 6-disk changer does everything through the single AI-Net
connection. Power, audio, etc. Just like a USB device. It can also eject
when the car and HU are shut off.

Brandonb