Posted to rec.audio.car
Clarionguy22

Default clarion head unit fried?

I tried installing a new clarion head unit in my car and saw it turn
on, then the ground wire slipped and hit the yellow wire and cause some
sparks. The lights in the car dimmed down and I found the fuse in the
trunk blown so I replaced it with the hazard fuse. The new Head unit
wont turn on now after i properly grounded it. Is there another fuse I
could have blown INSIDE the head unit? Did I fry it? Am I out $650
bucks??? What should I do?

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

Ouch!! That sucks. I think you might have fried your HU. Perhaps you can
take it back to the shop you bought it and think of some creative
explanations. Most 12 volt audio components have fuses to protect from too
much current through the postive lead. However, most have no protection
from current going into the ground lead.

This is probably small consolation, but I have destroyed two amplifiers in
my life doing what you did. DAMN PHOENIX GOLD for using weird colors (other
than red and black) for power cables....I got confused a couple of times.

I can promise you, however, that you will NEVER make that mistake again.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy

No you're not out $650, but maybe a $100. Totally repairable more then likely
popped a 25 cent diode.

In article .com,
"Clarionguy22" wrote:
I tried installing a new clarion head unit in my car and saw it turn
on, then the ground wire slipped and hit the yellow wire and cause some
sparks. The lights in the car dimmed down and I found the fuse in the
trunk blown so I replaced it with the hazard fuse. The new Head unit
wont turn on now after i properly grounded it. Is there another fuse I
could have blown INSIDE the head unit? Did I fry it? Am I out $650
bucks??? What should I do?

Posted to rec.audio.car
zander

I have seen a fuse located inside a head unit before, made no sense but
deck was dead, opened it up and there was a regular blade fuse inside
the deck. Could be worth taking a few screws out.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Clarionguy22

what kind of shop would repair it?

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy

Dont take it to just anyone, call clarion and they will find you are local
authorized repair shop . Authorized repair shops get parts faster and cheaper
then non authorized repair shops, not only that but they get service manuals
free, non authorized repair shops have to buy them and then they bill you for
them, that's if they can get them.